• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sonic The Hedgehog Film Director: Sonic's Design Will Change

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 5:02 pm Reply with quote
I can't imagine what the writers behind the Detective Pikachu movie could come up with in a trailer for a sequel...

"Wait... no STOP! What in the actual ash?! TIM! Why... why are the visual effects not done?! It's a POKé BALL!!! It's not like we're trying to re-create a video game character just so he can be less nightmare inducing!!! Aw.. shock it, I'll do it myself."
Clyde_Cash

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 7:06 pm Reply with quote
Yuji Naka had best fly to California and show the men, ladies, and everyone in between at Paramount how it's done. The current Sonic design just looks all wrong. Sonic's arms are supposed to be BEIGE, not blue. His eyes look wrong. His shoes look nothing like in the games. His mouth and teeth look too freaky.

Dr. Robotnik is too skinny. At least give Jim Carrey a fat suit. Look at how Robotnik appears in the games. Is he skinny? NO! He's always been a fat guy.

Gangsta's Paradise? Why, of all the songs Paramount could have used, did they use a Coolio song? It's a Sonic movie, not Dangerous Minds. Why couldn't they use, say, Green Hill Zone's music?

The setting. Why is the movie set in our world and not that of the games? At least give us that and make the movie fully CGI like a Pixar or Dreamworks flick. Also, the "secret government project" plot has been done to death. There's already plenty of continuities to work with, all derived from the games. We have the '90s Sonic cartoons. We have the Archie (U.S.) and Fleetway (UK) Sonic comics. Why not use any of that instead?

If Paramount doesn't fix this, then at this rate, this movie will shape up to be SINO: Sonic in Name Only. Give us something faithful to the games. Otherwise, it'll end up like this:

Mario in Name Only: I've got crappy character designs and nothing to do with my source material.
SINO: Hold my beer.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 8:30 pm Reply with quote
CastMember1991 wrote:
Let's hope Sega knocked some sense into Paramount. That design looked terrible.

That would be ironic given how Sonic 06 didn't really knock any sense in Sega regarding putting out less iffy designed Sonic games. Then again Sonic Labyrinth preceded 06 by about 12 years so that hadn't learned anything even after that.

residentgrigo wrote:

I truly hope that this waste of 90 million $, promotion costs not included, ends careers as money should be burned like this. The animators will have to pull 100 hour work weeks to get even a portion of this done, to point out the true cost of all of this. To think that Blur Studio, Junkie XL and Jim Carrey are wasted on this, THIS. Especially after how good Carrey´s new show Kidding turned out to be.

To be pretty fair Jim Carrey has put out a fair amount of shit over the last 20 period such as the Dumb & Dumber sequel no one wanted, Mr. Popper's Penguins, The Incredible Burt Wonderstone etc. Also fun fact Blur Studio did work for Sonic 06....Junkie XL also helped compose Batman vs Super Dawn of Justice. So all in all I like to think they don't care if they're putting in work for a film that may well bomb.

ranran-001 wrote:

Second, so far the only points of discussion coming from the people behind the movie is they talked about Sonic having fur, and Sonic's shoes. As if THOSE were the only points of contention with fans of Sonic.

We're talking about a fanbase that's complained over such things

As Sonic driving a car in Sonic All Stars Racing (eventhough the Drift games did it first).

The Adventure games having the cast speak (eventhough the animated Cartoons which many of them like started this).

Or the later games being gimmicky (eventhough the earlier games featured a myriad of gimmicks designed to make it stand out from other platformers).

Clyde_Cash wrote:
Yuji Naka had best fly to California and show the men, ladies, and everyone in between at Paramount how it's done. The current Sonic design just looks all wrong. Sonic's arms are supposed to be BEIGE, not blue. His eyes look wrong. His shoes look nothing like in the games. His mouth and teeth look too freaky.

If Robotnik can look like he did in all the 90's cartoons which eventually bled over into the comics I don't know why Sonic's arms have to be beige or shoes have to look exactly like they do in the game.

Clyde_Cash wrote:

Dr. Robotnik is too skinny. At least give Jim Carrey a fat suit. Look at how Robotnik appears in the games. Is he skinny? NO! He's always been a fat guy.

He can always become fat just like in the movie where he eventually loses his hair. As for always being a fat guy you want to brush up on how they changed this in 06. Even Boom tweaked his design.

Clyde_Cash wrote:
Gangsta's Paradise? Why, of all the songs Paramount could have used, did they use a Coolio song? It's a Sonic movie, not Dangerous Minds. Why couldn't they use, say, Green Hill Zone's music?

I'm guessing because most people don't know what Green Hill Zone's theme is?

That and also it would fit even more awkwardly than Gangsta's Paradise.

Clyde_Cash wrote:
The setting. Why is the movie set in our world and not that of the games?

Not for nothing but Since Adventure expanded on the canon all the Sonic games since then have been established to take place in a world that's similar to ours but where humans and anthropomorphic animals co-exist. Though oddly this movie seems to be taking a page out of Sonic X's playbook where Sonic is from another world.

Clyde_Cash wrote:
At least give us that and make the movie fully CGI like a Pixar or Dreamworks flick. Also, the "secret government project" plot has been done to death. There's already plenty of continuities to work with, all derived from the games. We have the '90s Sonic cartoons. We have the Archie (U.S.) and Fleetway (UK) Sonic comics. Why not use any of that instead?

My best guess is because as you just summed up those are different continuities. Each of which has their own established canon (and rules) and as it is most people are only familiar with the continuity presented in the games which itself has been pretty shaky over the years.

Clyde_Cash wrote:
If Paramount doesn't fix this, then at this rate, this movie will shape up to be SINO

There's not much they can do to fix the movie where the writing is concerned much less Sonic's design. The only outcomes of this is.

The movie turns a profit and they address the movie's flaws in a potential sequel.

The movie underperforms but they get another crack to do a proper movie doing something similar like the 3rd Smurfs movie which was all CGI instead of mixed live action CGI like the first two movies.

Or it bombs and nothing gets done for years much like Super Mario Bros. Movie
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 2:01 am Reply with quote
Paramount clearly wasn't thinking clearly because they should used the the video game Sonic version looks from from the start. Then again, Hollywood has a tendency of butchering video game source material for movie adaptations.
ReifuTD

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 9:11 am Reply with quote
Clyde_Cash wrote:

A lot second tier cannon like in the comics and stuff Robotnik is skinny when he first meets Sonic.

BadNewsBlues wrote:

There's not much they can do to fix the movie where the writing is concerned much less Sonic's design. The only outcomes of this is.

The movie turns a profit and they address the movie's flaws in a potential sequel.

The movie underperforms but they get another crack to do a proper movie doing something similar like the 3rd Smurfs movie which was all CGI instead of mixed live action CGI like the first two movies.

Or it bombs and nothing gets done for years much like Super Mario Bros. Movie

Well the backlash shows that Sonic has great public interest and if they do or had actually tried to made a good sonic movie they could and will make a bank load of money
TsubomiKoneko

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 11:10 am Reply with quote
Aresef wrote:
How do you fix the design and maintain other actors' eyelines?

There's nothing wrong with his height or width really, so that's not a problem.
Crpt774

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
Paramount clearly wasn't thinking clearly because they should used the the video game Sonic version looks from from the start.

Exactly. Say what you like about Sonic 06, but it looked good, and while most people who have played it would probably prefer to go without the reminder, it would be far better than this mess. They describe it as him looking like an otter. I have to wonder if they have ever seen an otter. in any case, its a game character. he's not meant to look realistic.

On the other hand:

"20 minutes ago, an energy surge knocked out power across the entire pacific north-west"

So is Sonic meant to be the bad guy? Because they just mad it look like it was Sonic who just EMP'd a good chunk of the USA.

Got to wonder if these guys have ever had the plot of the Sonic games explained to them. On any level. Or even seen box art really.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 11:02 am Reply with quote
Some of the odd comments I'd seen was that this design needed to stay in the "90". Then I looked at it and somehow I was taken back to the 90's where horrible video game movies were. Suddenly the 'Mario Bros' movies comes to mind. When the creator himself from SEGA tells you ITS OFF and respecting the original design you know something is wrong.

Well, at least that got Pikachu right. I WILL NOT watch that movie. Not because of Ryan Reynolds, not because of the boy actor (who I can't stand) but just because. Only way that happens if children are around and I'm stuck having a conversation with people while it plays in the background. Let others enjoy it. Hell, let the kids enjoy it.
SchrödingerNeko

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Tbh. it looks pretty good to me. Jim really nails his role.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 9:15 pm Reply with quote
Crpt774 wrote:

"20 minutes ago, an energy surge knocked out power across the entire pacific north-west" So is Sonic meant to be the bad guy? Because they just mad it look like it was Sonic who just EMP'd a good chunk of the USA.

Given that Sonic likely isn't aware his speed is capable of doing that (and even in the games he's never been known to be capable of doing that). The only people who might feel he's a bad guy for that are the same people who whine about Superman causing damage in his fight with Zod in Man Of Steel

Crpt774 wrote:

Got to wonder if these guys have ever had the plot of the Sonic games explained to them.

The plots of the games specifically the genesis era games, aren't exactly deep or well written though. To the point the only way you'd know about the plot of the games is by reading the manuals.

Crpt774 wrote:
On any level. Or even seen box art really.

Sonic 1,CD, 3 are the only games that has anything going on in it's box art though. And out of the three of those the only one that doesn't require any context to explain is 3.

Chrno2 wrote:
Well, at least that got Pikachu right.

How do you know they got Pikachu right if you haven't seen and as mentioned have no intention of seeing the movie?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3