• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Responds to Reports of Green Tint on Dragon Ball Super: Broly Film's BD

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 12:14 pm Reply with quote
I wonder how many people complain about things like this yet have never bothered to properly calibrate their TV/monitor.
Takizawa-Shinzou

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 12:33 pm Reply with quote
AkumaChef wrote:
I wonder how many people complain about things like this yet have never bothered to properly calibrate their TV/monitor.

Screenshots don't take your TV/monitor calibration into account lol...This is 100% an issue on Funimation's end. And their response is literally "we've always had a messed up version!".
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 1:00 pm Reply with quote
It's times like this that make me wonder if FUNimation actually hates having the license to Dragon Ball and is ruining the home releases on purpose as a cry for help.
cyberdraco

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 2:08 pm Reply with quote
I just looked at comparison between Funi's release and Manga UK's release of the movie and didn't notice that much of the tint. Yeah there was a little tint but thats just it, a little.
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 2:14 pm Reply with quote
Takizawa-Shinzou wrote:

Screenshots don't take your TV/monitor calibration into account lol.

Sure they do. If your monitor isn't calibrated properly then how would you know if the problem lies in the source material or in how your screen renders the image? If you sit in front of your PC or TV and you think "this looks green", that could be your monitor or it could be the source material. Without calibration you have no way of separating the two.

I've encountered this situation many times personally:
Friend: this movie looks terrible, the colors are all messed up.
Me: Try turning your TV off "game" mode and put it on a more neutral setting
Friend: yeah, looks good now.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 2:38 pm Reply with quote
I would say the fault lies less with Funimation and more-so with Toei giving them inferior masters. Because of how cut-throat licensing companies can be, Funi pretty much has to shut up and take it, otherwise they can kiss their Dragon Ball license goodbye.
xBTAx

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 2:53 pm Reply with quote
AkumaChef wrote:
Takizawa-Shinzou wrote:

Screenshots don't take your TV/monitor calibration into account lol.

Sure they do. If your monitor isn't calibrated properly then how would you know if the problem lies in the source material or in how your screen renders the image? If you sit in front of your PC or TV and you think "this looks green", that could be your monitor or it could be the source material. Without calibration you have no way of separating the two.

I've encountered this situation many times personally:
Friend: this movie looks terrible, the colors are all messed up.
Me: Try turning your TV off "game" mode and put it on a more neutral setting
Friend: yeah, looks good now.

This is fair enough, but I think they were talking about screenshots other people took.

Obviously, your TV/monitor may be configured badly, and that would indeed affect both how you see the movie and how you see a screenshot taken of the movie. But when you take a screenshot and share it, it’s not like your settings are baked into the image. So if everyone else who sees it goes “yeah, that’s tinted green” in response, it’s not very likely everyone messed up their monitor/TV/phone/whatever settings in the same way, right?

Importantly, I would also assume the people who noticed this were comparing to the JP release as well? Which is why “you saw this version in theaters” is a little silly, since that probably wasn’t the point...
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 3:12 pm Reply with quote
The film is 100% tinted green it has nothing to do with the the calibration of your TV screen. It is very easy to see if you compare Funimation’s version with Manga UK’s version.

And yes this may not have been Funimation’s fault but the way they just brush it off really annoys me.

I bought the Japanese version so hopefully that looks good.
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 3:17 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised they said anything. Note that most of the blame here lies on Toei for sending out green materials in the first place, it's also NOT the first time it's happened. Also keep in mind who made Dragon Ball Z Kai: Final Chapters have a green tint. FUNi should have tried to do color-correction or demand better masters, but I'm not going to put too much blame on them for this.
AnimeAjay wrote:
Oh... the Broly Blu-ray is green like the screener.

Manga UK webrip on the left, Funi Blu-ray on the right.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D4DE1xyW0AEz_S1.jpg:orig
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D4DE80-XkAE5cd2.jpg:orig
https://twitter.com/AnimeAjay/status/1117109358867955713
AnimeAjay wrote:
I'm very confused as to why Toei seem incapable of sending out materials that aren't green. Something has to be wrong in their pipeline and I don't get it.
https://twitter.com/AnimeAjay/status/1117109929830223873
AnimeAjay wrote:
Just to be really clear: this is probably not a Funimation issue. Unlike the anniversary set, they don't touch stuff like this, they just encode and author the discs. Toei's provided screeners were all green too, so probably an issue on their end.
https://twitter.com/AnimeAjay/status/1117111850968203264
ナッパ教信徒 wrote:
This happened with BoG, too. Its footage had weird green tint on multiple international releases.
https://twitter.com/nappasan/status/1117112245069041664
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 4:52 pm Reply with quote
Man it's like Toei really don't want Dragon Ball over here anymore.
Kicksville

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 6:17 pm Reply with quote
BigOnAnime wrote:
I'm surprised they said anything. Note that most of the blame here lies on Toei for sending out green materials in the first place, it's also NOT the first time it's happened. Also keep in mind who made Dragon Ball Z Kai: Final Chapters have a green tint. FUNi should have tried to do color-correction or demand better masters, but I'm not going to put too much blame on them for this.

Huh. Interesting. I wonder if there's any way to get Toei's direct attention about it? Not that they'll necessarily say anything, but maybe if they at least know and get it corrected for the future...maybe I'm being optimistic here.
IdeaOfEvil

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 6:19 pm Reply with quote
Toei and Funimation - when anime content providers hate anime fans lol
gamegodtre

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 6:44 pm Reply with quote
AkumaChef wrote:

You dont need to calibrate them anymore.... At least not the ones I've bought they come with settings and while you can do manual settings the presets are fine. This hasn't been a thing since early lcds.

Also Re Zero says hi dbz broly welcome to the funi somehow got bad materials club
EricJ2

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 7:08 pm Reply with quote
Think we had this same problem when Princess Mononoke/Spirited Away first hit disk?:
Fans complained about a green tint to the print, and the Japanese source responded that since "most" of their users were likely to watch a DVD on a laptop, the color had to be skewed to offset the color problems of portable monitors.

Not sure if that's the same problem with digital-projection prints that aren't corrected for disk release.
Thorge

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 12:45 am Reply with quote
Anyone know if Madman Australia's release will be using the Funimation version or the Manga UK one?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2