• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Manga Answerman - What's With All The Omnibus Releases?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 1:36 am Reply with quote
I love omnibus/perfect edition manga because there’s usually extra content like side stories, more color pages, and nice paper. They also take up less space on my shelves.
K.o.R

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 2:50 am Reply with quote
I vastly prefer single volumes. Consistency on my shelf.

The only exception I will make for omnibus editions is if they're hardback. A super-thick paperback is going to have its spine wrecked as you read it.
pirateaddict
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 6:38 am Reply with quote
I love the omnibus editions, I recently bought Fruits Basket as I hadn't read the manga for a long time.

I'd love to see new editions of Saiyuki and especially Junjou Romantica as they didn't continue that series and they're both still ongoing.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 8:03 am Reply with quote
My results with omnibus editions is mixed. I find that the larger (8 1/4 by 5 3/4 inches) of the recent Yen Press Fruits Basket edition works just fine. However the smaller trim size of most singles expanded to an omnibus is hard to read without destroying the spine. Attempts to put more than two single volumes in one omnibus are problematic.

Bottom line is that it doesn't really matter though. If it is a manga I want to read and comes only in omnibus format, I'll make do. Even the wonkiest omnibus is better than digital or no legal release at all. If it takes an omnibus to get the whole thing printed I'll take it. I have enough series abandoned by the publisher with only a couple of volumes to go.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 8:15 am Reply with quote
Kicksville wrote:
...wish Dark Horse would reprint those darned Gunsmith Cats onmibuses, maybe do ones for Burst too, grumble grumble 70 dollar volumes...

*opens his safe to check on his vol 1-3* My precioussssssss

Personally I could care less in the end which format I get be it single releases or omnibus editions. I just WANT to get the series I like. So I'll take whichever version is available. Though, from a price stand point the omnibus editions are money savers in the long haul.
melmouth

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 11:36 am Reply with quote
Another great explanation from someone who's been there of something I've always wondered about.
NJ_

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
In the case of the Kodansha Comics' Sailor Moon Eternal Edition, going with a new omnibus edition gave them an opportunity to publish this shojo manga classic in a larger format, better quality paper, more color illustrations, AND a new translation too.

And thank goodness for that because the first few Moon & V volumes were sloppy in the previous releases.

Lord Geo wrote:
I only hope that Seven Seas' "Classic Collection" initiative pays off well for them, because if something like that winds up being the only way we can get vintage manga, then I'll gladly go for just about any of them that we get.

Same, we got some Go Nagai manga titles for the first time in years thanks to this (and some additional modern spinoffs in the case of Devilman & Getter Robo Devolution) and I would love to see and own more.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 5:15 pm Reply with quote
I loved Dark Horse's Oh My Goddess omnibus editions, but they got canceled after Vol. 7, probably because they lost the license after 25 years (thanks Kodansha). It would've been VERY convenient reducing a 40+ volume series into just 15, but hopefully Kodansha USA puts them out eventually and finishes.

Also, Viz's Death Note Black editions are very nice. It reduces the 12 volume series to 6, the books are still pretty small, they have the color pages, are a nice package, and cost only $15 per book. There is an all-in-one book, but it's really thick and bulky. Just get the Black editions.

And Sailor Moon's Eternal editions are super worth it. Kodansha's earlier editions were already technically omnibus, and I kinda wish these weren't so tall, but they're very well-produced with nice paper and color pages, but it's the new translation that makes them the editions to get. Seriously, the translation in Kodansha's old editions was crap, especially in the beginning. It was so awkward and stilted, and actually read like a translation instead of something natural and cohesive.
NJ_

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 6:14 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
Also, Viz's Death Note Black editions are very nice. It reduces the 12 volume series to 6, the books are still pretty small, they have the color pages, are a nice package, and cost only $15 per book. There is an all-in-one book, but it's really thick and bulky. Just get the Black editions.

This is somewhat debatable because while the Black Editions were good, the all-in-one includes the L short story that came out in Japan at the time of the L movie premiere and with this huge thing, it's the first time that short story has been released in English.

Also neither of them have that bonus 13th volume so you'll need to buy that separately regardless.
lys

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 7:49 pm Reply with quote
LegitPancake wrote:
...Snow White with the Red Hair (20+ volumes and a bit old)...Ao Haru Ride (13 volumes and a bit old)...

Oof ^^;; I just posted in another thread about my shock at the age of the GALS! manga. Ao Haru Ride still feels fairly "new" to me! Anyway, both these series are publishing new volumes every other month, and I can't really picture Viz releasing omnibuses at the same frequency—this is probably the fastest rate to catch up that the market can handle. (also consider the translators, letterers, and editors, who likely have a bunch of other series on their plate as well.)

(this opinion submitted by a letterer who fears she may never ever catch up to the Japanese release rate of a certain prolific bike-racing manga...)

I used to be on the fence about omnibuses, but at this point my collection has a whole bunch of them, as well as singles in standard and taller heights. Striving for consistency is futile :) (which I find I like, actually, because normal book collections have that sort of variation too, and a monolithic row of standard-size, standard-width books is kind of intimidating.)
teferi

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 10:54 pm Reply with quote
LegitPancake wrote:
Omnibuses also seem to be appearing in the light novel market, at least for classic series. Boogiepop is already out, with Crest of the Stars and Full Metal Panic getting hardback omnibuses in early 2020.
I believe Sam at J-Novel Club has made it clear that he is interested in printing more recent titles that are 10+ volumes long in omnibuses, but no plans have been made public. It would have been nice if Smartphone was published in omnibuses, what with it being 16+ volumes long and counting, but it sells incredibly well, so there's no reason to compile them apparently.
As for manga, there are several titles I kind of wish had gotten omnibuses, such as Snow White with the Red Hair (20+ volumes and a bit old), Mob Psycho 100 (16 volumes completed and Dark Horse is taking their sweet time in publishing it, might take 4-5 years at this rate), Ao Haru Ride (13 volumes and a bit old), Komi-san (12+ volumes and nearly 200 chapters, Viz might never catch up, especially when they're not simulpubbing), and probably several others.
I've talked to people who say "As a collector, I prefer single volumes...," but as a collector myself, as long as the omnibus includes all cover and insert art, I very much prefer omnibuses.

As long as they're not 10+ volumes in one volume. I still haven't read my Spice and Wolf collector's edition because it's huge and weighs about seven pounds.
Juno016

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 12:16 am Reply with quote
I don't mind that omnibuses exist, but I very much prefer smaller books because I often find myself bringing books to read out with me. When I was in Japan, I'd read their smaller size manga and loved being able to put it in my pocket. Even singles are too big for that in English, but they're nonetheless easier to handle.
Crowjack

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 8:11 am Reply with quote
I would love to see Monster and Battle Royale re released in a hardback 3 in 1 format. The latter volumes of those are incredibly expensive. they've been oop for awhile but both are still pretty popular. They seem to also have a pretty diverse fanbase. I know someone that didn't know Battle Royale was a movie and had just read the novels. Both of those seem like a good series to re release.
Lenks

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 11:24 am Reply with quote
One I'm surprised Viz hasn't done, or even transitioned to, is Detective Conan. They're still releasing as singles.
Shiratori-san

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 2:14 am Reply with quote
My personal opinion? I dislike omnibus.

While I like the fact that they are cheaper (who doesn't?), I dislike losing some of the color covers of the individual volumes. Furthermore, because they are big, omnibus books tend to come apart (lose pages) much easier and in the end, it is more difficult to handle the book to read it. Also, most of omnibus I know of, do not even have hardcovers and the soft covers get wrinkled when we open the book to read it.

So, if I had the chance to choose, and I like the series enough to care, I'd go for individual books over omnis anytime (and if I don't care enough about the series, I probably won't buy it in any format at all).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3