• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Manga Answerman - What's With All The Omnibus Releases?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jdnation

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 7:20 pm Reply with quote
I really do appreciate the omnibus releases.

- More to read.
- Saves you some money.

Especially good for older series to come back in print. It's how I managed to get all my Lone Wolf & Cub.

But I also like other releases like Vinland Saga doing it. And currently I'm also picking up the Gantz omnibuses.

It's true that sometimes some might get a bit too thick to make for comfortable reading, but overall I'd still prefer it.

It does suck that you lose some of the cover art, but if I personally dig the artwork, I usually end up buying an art book by the artist that usually has it all.

I do wish I could trade in my copies of Blame for the nice big new releases.

Naturally I'm still picking up the usual volumes for stuff I'm already reading, but I think it's better for new releases to go for 2 or 3 in 1's, depending on the series and keeping interest going.

But if I had the choice, I'd be naturally more inclined towards the savings and more content of the omnibus.
CheechMonger

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 12:14 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
I loved Dark Horse's Oh My Goddess omnibus editions, but they got canceled after Vol. 7, probably because they lost the license after 25 years (thanks Kodansha). It would've been VERY convenient reducing a 40+ volume series into just 15, but hopefully Kodansha USA puts them out eventually and finishes.

I didn't realize that the omnibus OMG editions got cancelled Crying or Very sad and that DH lost the license! If Kodansha starts re-releasing the series, I suspect they'll start back at volume one, omnibus or not. I guess time will tell.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 10:06 pm Reply with quote
pirateaddict wrote:
especially Junjou Romantica as they didn't continue that series and they're both still ongoing.

I asked both DMP and SuBLime if they’d license it and they said no, saying it’s too long of a series.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3