• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 43rd Annual Kodansha Manga Awards' Winners Announced

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 12:50 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Morikawa launched Hajime no Ippo in 1989, and the series is his only manga.

That second part is wrong; just plain incorrect. In 1983, Morikawa did a singe-volume series called Silhouette Night. In 1986, he did two series, both of which only ran for 2 volumes: Kazuya NOW & Signal Blue. Finally, in 2012, he did a single-volume manga called Ai ni Ikuyo, or I'll Be Seeing You. I love the ANN Encyclopedia, and I use it for my own writings constantly, but I also know that it's not all-encompassing, so I make sure I back up my research with as many other places as possible, because while Hajime no Ippo is George Morikawa's largest & most iconic work, it is far from his only one.

Now, if this is coming from Kodansha itself, and the writer for ANN simply translated from there, then that's certainly some revisionist history going on, and really should have been fact checked. It's not even like I care about Morikawa's other manga, because I don't know anything about them in the first place (aside from Signal Blue being about Formula 1 racing), but I am a stark follower of "doing your research", & making sure you get stuff as correct & factual as possible when writing about something like anime.

Sorry, didn't mean for this to be so long, but I am a stickler for this kind of stuff. Carry on, and congrats to the various manga that won.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1