• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Staff of The Rising of the Shield Hero

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Calsolum

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 4:46 pm Reply with quote
Certainly an interesting interview but I'd have to disagree with the staff I don't think Naofumi is admirable, (at least not from the start) though he is a realist. I think Naofumi is a pretty bad person, but if he were a 'good' person he'd be helpless and would've gotten killed by the waves.

Him not being able to do some bludgeoning damage with his shield is silly though, I know that it's a game world and this is part of what makes him so 'helpless' on his own but to use an example referenced in the article, Captain America's main weapon is a Shield and I dare anyone to call him useless.
I think if the author really wanted to be creative and showcase Naofumi's ingenuity and desperation he should have been written bludgeoning monsters to death or strangling, burning, poisoning, etc. I'm guessing the author also used a video game world to make these options impossible without the right 'skills'.

Hmm if I had to blindly pick a weapon I'd choose bow because of the range. What good are the other weapons if you're riddled with arrows from a distance before you can get in striking range(although now that I think about it that makes the shield a perfect counter Laughing )? Now if I had more information I'd definitely reassess because there are situations where one weapon is more favourable than others.
tintor2

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 7:42 pm Reply with quote
Haven't read the manga or novel but the fights in the anime have been a bit weird as the cast barely moved in the scenes. They used cheap tactics like speed lines, energy spam instead of weapons clashing and shouting.

I like the story but it feels annoying considering by episode 18 we are still focusing on the guy with bad reputation and he is forced to befriend another dude for who dumb as heck. Hope the anime staff does it justice.
Changeman

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 10:22 am Reply with quote
Just correcting that the crunchyroll had no exclusivity in the transmission of the first episode, the channel AT-X and other streamings like Abema TV also exhibited the first episode before the date marked.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 10:47 am Reply with quote
I now officially love those nerdy guys! Of course I love the show too...
Sukottosan

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Shield Hero isn't that bad. The show does have it's ups and downs.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 8:49 pm Reply with quote
A good interview I think. It would have been nice to see them talk about what some people are mad at the show for addressing though. or even finally getting confirmation that the author is a woman would have been awesome.
Sekaro

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 5:05 am Reply with quote
A slight correction if I may add... Its not that Naofumi didn't have as many skills available as the other heroes, its that he just has little in the way of actually fighting back or doing reliable damage.
Double Mangekyo

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 6:21 am Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
A good interview I think. It would have been nice to see them talk about what some people are mad at the show for addressing though.

Well, there was that reddit AMA that Tamura did a while back, where he answered some questions about controversies.

https://www.reddit.com/r/anime/comments/aozaw0/ama_with_shield_hero_producer_junichiro_tamura/eg4o311/
Quote:
Q: How do you deal with controversy that certain series end up generating? Does it discourage staff, impact decisions, or does it end up being uses a lot for marketing/ expanding the viewer range of the series?
Q: Shield Hero has quite a few controversial views. How is this production dealing with the resulting response?

TAMURA: There have not been any controversies regarding the series in Japan, so it is difficult to say.
In the case there were any controversy domestically, we will try to address all issues with the staff and people involved to bring our customers a better product the next time.

https://www.reddit.com/r/anime/comments/aozaw0/ama_with_shield_hero_producer_junichiro_tamura/eg4xxl9/
Quote:
Q: I want to know how influenced anime studios/producers are by Western views and thoughts. Do you think studios will continue to produce quality anime product even if it might be viewed as different or controversial in the West? This is what I love about Japanese anime and I am afraid it might change

TAMURA: We in Japan do not see these anime as controversial, so we will continue to produce more content like Shield Hero.
Commander Cluck

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 6:30 am Reply with quote
Double Mangekyo wrote:
TAMURA: We in Japan do not see these anime as controversial, so we will continue to produce more content like Shield Hero.
[/quote]

Haha, I love this guy. Straightforward and to the point.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 10:50 pm Reply with quote
It is only controversial in America, because of American history. If it is made for a Japanese audience, they shouldn't be bound by American issues. Now if they want a more universal product, then naturally those considerations have to be made. It might be interesting to see how productions, with Netflix's hands in the pie, are bound by those considerations or not.

Much like "Arifureta - From Commonplace to World's Strongest", if you live in hell with monsters, you gotta become a monster to survive. If you are as hated as Naofumi is in Shield Hero, you gotta become hard to survive. If you stay a 'nice guy' you are dead meat. Considering most of the good people in the show are in Naofumi's party, I think that says a lot about Naofumi.

I like a lot that was said about Naofumi by the staff. I am glad they could tell their side of the story.
GoldenCrimson2020

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 1:53 am Reply with quote
Sadly there was No comment of possible season 2?

Hope season 2 is announced for 2020
El Hermano

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 8:53 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
It is only controversial in America, because of American history. If it is made for a Japanese audience, they shouldn't be bound by American issues. Now if they want a more universal product, then naturally those considerations have to be made. It might be interesting to see how productions, with Netflix's hands in the pie, are bound by those considerations or not.

I take it you're talking about the slavery complaints rather than the false rape complaints. But Japan's no stranger to slavery. Portugal enslaved Japanese natives and sold them to various European and African nations in the 1500s. If anything, they'd have more of a reason to be offended by the subject than Americans, but they aren't.
Aquasakura

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 9:29 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Do you feel like you were personally able to relate to Naofumi's struggles and growth?

ABO: Well, if the awful things that happened to Naofumi happened to me, I think I'd just curl into a ball. The way he looks forward after terrible things happen to him, the way he treats his friends, and the way he's able to rise and gain strength after being falsely accused... Rather than “relate,” I would say that I “admire” him.

KOYANAGI: As the director mentioned, I'm envious of how instead of wilting in the face of adversity, he'll rise to the challenge. At that point, he's already hated by everyone, so he doesn't care about what happens anymore. That's something I admire about him.

Well this story isn't called The Rise of the Shield Hero for nothing. Very Happy Also while I giggle reading that ABO would curled up in a ball if he was in the same predicament as Naufumi, I would not blame him as I would feel the same way if everyone in a country hated me being that I care a bit too much of what people think of my intentions.

Quote:
But when you watch the anime, don't you think, “Wow, the shield is so cool!” (laughs)

KOYANAGI: We're making this anime so that people will say, “I'll pick the shield!” (laughs)

It didn't work for me as if I did have a choice in the matter, I would pick to use a sword because swords are my favorite kinds of weapons. With that said I do think the people behind the anime did a good job showcasing Naofumi making good use of his shield.

This was a nice interview and I thought it was neat and interesting they have someone overseas be responsible for the soundtrack to the show.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Double Mangekyo wrote:

Quote:
Q: I want to know how influenced anime studios/producers are by Western views and thoughts. Do you think studios will continue to produce quality anime product even if it might be viewed as different or controversial in the West? This is what I love about Japanese anime and I am afraid it might change

Thank you for sharing this Double Mangekyo. Similar to how the person who was conducting the interview feel about anime one of the aspects I do like about animation from Japan is that it's made generally for it's native audience in mind, and because of that the shows have an exotic feel to them and offer different perspectives I would not get from watching Americana shows. I would not want to see the animated studios of Japan put their main focus on catering to an international audience. So good for Junichiro Tamura to sticking to his guns. Anime smile

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

GoldenCrimson2020 wrote:
Sadly there was No comment of possible season 2?

Hope season 2 is announced for 2020

For me I consider The Rise of the Shield Hero to already be in it's second season when the opening and ending theme songs were change. Besides at the present the anime is ongoing so I do not see a reason to be hoping or the people behind the anime adaptation to be announcing a continuation when the show has not ended yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Manga
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 11:08 am Reply with quote
El Hermano wrote:

I take it you're talking about the slavery complaints rather than the false rape complaints. But Japan's no stranger to slavery. Portugal enslaved Japanese natives and sold them to various European and African nations in the 1500s. If anything, they'd have more of a reason to be offended by the subject than Americans, but they aren't.

Hardly any country in the world is a stranger to slavery, in some form or other. Lets just say it is the current cultural climate in the U.S. Since this is off-topic, I'll leave it at that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1