• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 8 Sonic The Hedgehog Cartoons That Are Probably Better Than The Movie

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 3:34 am Reply with quote
The only Sonic adaptations I've seen were Adventures and SATM and I haven't seen either since I was a kid so I don't know how well either hold up. As a kid, I always liked SATM more because I liked it had a storyline and had a darker feel to it and I liked the characters more. Even as a kid, Adventures was something I just watched to pass the time but even as a kid it wasn't that funny. I never saw the old anime OVA but I remember seeing it a lot in video stores back in the day. I only ever watched a few episodes of Sonic X. I thought it was just ok but I didn't like it's shift to the real world and I thought the few episodes I saw were kind of dull. The Japanese theme songs are really catchy though and maybe one day I'll give it another shot.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 4:30 am Reply with quote
For a short, Sonic: Night of the Werehog is really pretty good, it has that classic comedy style. I hope one day we get a new dub for X, uncut with the new voice cast.
Southkaio

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 6:04 am Reply with quote
I am certainly sure that IDW's new comics series starring Sonic himself will resolve the long-awaited Sonic Underground epilogue. You?
Commander Cluck

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 6:50 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
I only ever watched a few episodes of Sonic X. I thought it was just ok but I didn't like it's shift to the real world and I thought the few episodes I saw were kind of dull. The Japanese theme songs are really catchy though and maybe one day I'll give it another shot.

Well, Sonic always took place on Earth. A fictional version of Earth at any rate. Sonic X is just doing that since it's based specifically on Adventure and Adventure 2

Although in the west there's a lot of convoluted lore given how many continuities and different series for Sonic there are and a lot of western cartoons and comics take place on fiction worlds like "Mobius" and do their own thing.
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 10:01 am Reply with quote
I remember watching the Adventures of Sonic as a kid and enjoying it. I don't think I problably enjoy it now but it introduced me to the series. Something weird about the show is that in the spanish dub Tails was voiced by the same woman who voices Tweety in Looney Tunes and that made Tails sound like a girl and at the time I thought he really was a girl. Also, except for Sonic, all the characters names were changed, for example Robotnik was called Dr. Mostachón (lit. Dr. Big Moustache). And people say Eggman is a dumb name.
I only saw a couple of episodes of SatAm and Underground on a friend's house but I remember watching Sonic X up until episode 53 because then they changed the entire cast since Disney moved the dubbing company from Chile to Argentina and I didn't like the voice changes, I mean in the Chilean dub Sonic was voiced by the same actor who played Zuko in Avatar, Van in Zoids and Orphen, among others.
As for Sonic Boom, I only saw a couple of episodes but they seemed pretty good.
Kistune_bride

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 11:40 am Reply with quote
I love Tyson Hesse Sonic Mania & racing shorts. They are such a treat of 2D style animation and kid friendly humor.

Of the older Sonic cartoons, I've seen all of Sonic SatAm (actually I remembered renting the ow when Blockbusters was still around Anime hyper) and most of Sonic X on WB kids. I stopped when they went to space and I think it involved a green chick named Cosmo who liked Tails???

Anyway, the Adventures of Sonic had great memes but, the show itself was...no good.

Never saw Underground since it came on before or after Mew Mew Power and I would skip it until Sabrina aired. Saw the Sonic OVA online years ago and the English dub is odd but the animation was fun.

Also weird how Sonic CD had the song called Sonic Boom but I don't think Sonic Boom the TV series referenced it? SB is actually pretty funny but sucks that CN aired it 5am when no kid could actually watch it.
FireballDragon

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 4:12 pm Reply with quote
I loved the Sonic Underground reference in Boom when Sonic uses a triple-necked guitar in "Battle of the Boy Bands."

But TBH, I was kind of hoping Sonic Boom would have a little more action-orientation to it. It's like 75% comedy, while I was hoping for an even 50-50 or maybe 60-40.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 11:09 am Reply with quote
Kistune_bride wrote:

Also weird how Sonic CD had the song called Sonic Boom but I don't think Sonic Boom the TV series referenced it? SB is actually pretty funny but sucks that CN aired it 5am when no kid could actually watch it.

It actually used to air much later til it got the Yu Yu Hakusho treatment.

Quote:
8 Sonic The Hedgehog Cartoons That Are Probably Better Than The Movie

Quote:

Sonic CD Opening

See we're reaching aren't we?

Also that scene from Adventures is clearly something the censors at Disney Anime hyper wasn't too big on despite the blatant PSA context I'm pretty sure the episode originally had just with the "Deadly Force "Episode of Gargoyles.

Quote:
The plot follows many of the same beats as the game: Sonic's crew and his new human pal Chris must obtain Chaos Emeralds to stop Chaos and save the world.

Pretty sure Chris wasn't in the original game that and originally the plot had nothing to do with collecting the emeralds to save the world as opposed to keeping Robitnik from collecting them to empower Chaos.
veemonjosh

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 2:06 pm Reply with quote
Still hoping the Sonic OVA can get relicensed again someday. I've been wanting a copy for years, but it's been out of print since ADV lost it over a decade ago and second hand copies are typically up to (and beyond) $100.

C'mon Discotek...
Chrno2

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 3:03 pm Reply with quote
I never really bothered with all these Sonic shows. The one Sonic show that used to appear on the weekdays. I met a guy from the furry community that was working on the more silly one. This Sonic cartoon was closer to something you read in kid comics.

I don't know how the movie is going to do but the movie will get a proper Sonic as a start.
Haterater

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 2:20 pm Reply with quote
That was a trip through memory lane for me. Betting a few of those will be better than the movie.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2