• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Pokemon: Detective Pikachu Earns US$58 Million — Best Video Game Movie Debut Ever in U.S.

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 1:11 am Reply with quote
Murder, She wrote:

But three weeks into "Avengers" dominance, the market finally had some room for another film to make a substantial impact. Warner Bros. managed to draw a significant audience to its live-action "Pokémon Detective Pikachu," which opened on 4,202 screens and earned an estimated $58 million from ticket sales.

"What a terrific result," said Jeff Goldstein, Warner Bros. head of domestic distribution. "It's so much fun to watch 'Detective Pikachu' have this kind of opening."

And there's no bad blood that "Endgame" powered past "Pikachu" in the end.

"It was fun to win Friday night, but as they say in golf, you play your own game and I'm thrilled with our result," Goldstein added.

Wow, Avengers Endgame ($63 million domestic + $102 million abroad) vs. Detective Pikachu ($58 million domestic + $103 million abroad)

That's a lot closer than expected. Pikachu even won Friday.
danpmss

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 1:24 am Reply with quote
Holy crap!!

I'm so happy this movie is getting the love it deserves from the fans <3
AmpersandsUnited

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 1:35 am Reply with quote
Or #173 if you don't limit it to "video game movies"

I suppose the Gen 1 nostalgia and Pokemon Go audience helped.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 2:04 am Reply with quote
And it's live-action/3DCG, instead of 2D, so people will go to see those
(y'know it's true)
AmpersandsUnited

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 3:37 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
(y'know it's true)

Definitely. The animated movies stopped getting theatrical releases in America after the fifth movie. Even movies considered a flop like Alita made 85 million at the box office, which is more than what any anime movie will ever make in American theaters. But then you look at Japan and see this years Detective Conan movie currently sitting at 65 million which is almost double what Endgame made in Japan. I wonder how well this will do in Japan. They generally don't like American adaptions of anime, although this is technically based on a game and the Resident Evil movies did do pretty well there.
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 6:18 am Reply with quote
This movie was really good. It's also really interesting that spoiler[thanks to Mewtwo, Pikachu's body was actually being possessed by Harry Goodman, who - coincidentally enough - is also played by Ryan Reynolds]. I'm disappointed that the movie doesn't have a post-credit stinger featuring a cameo appearance by Professor Oak. Harrison Ford would have been PERFECT for the role.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/ca/Harrison_Ford_by_Gage_Skidmore_2.jpg

https://cdn.bulbagarden.net/upload/2/27/Professor_Oak_SM_anime.png

[Edit]: changed your img links to urls due to their size. Errinundra.
danpmss

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 6:52 am Reply with quote
CastMember1991 wrote:
This movie was really good. It's also really interesting that spoiler[thanks to Mewtwo, Pikachu's body was actually being possessed by Harry Goodman, who - coincidentally enough - is also played by Ryan Reynolds]. I'm disappointed that the movie doesn't have a post-credit stinger featuring a cameo appearance by Professor Oak. Harrison Ford would have been PERFECT for the role.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/ca/Harrison_Ford_by_Gage_Skidmore_2.jpg

https://cdn.bulbagarden.net/upload/2/27/Professor_Oak_SM_anime.png

[Edit]: changed your img links to urls due to their size. Errinundra.

Please don't make me think of this as my headcanon.
Norm the genius

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 8:16 am Reply with quote
A hit in the history, the first movie based on a videogame that does not stinks.
ReifuTD

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 8:51 am Reply with quote
AmpersandsUnited wrote:
enurtsol wrote:
(y'know it's true)

Definitely. The animated movies stopped getting theatrical releases in America after the fifth movie. Even movies considered a flop like Alita made 85 million at the box office, which is more than what any anime movie will ever make in American theaters. But then you look at Japan and see this years Detective Conan movie currently sitting at 65 million which is almost double what Endgame made in Japan. I wonder how well this will do in Japan. They generally don't like American adaptions of anime, although this is technically based on a game and the Resident Evil movies did do pretty well there.

Are you talking about the first week because Alita actually has 400 million box office overall from what I understand with the cost of the movie was enough to squeak out a profit.
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 8:57 am Reply with quote
ReifuTD wrote:

Are you talking about the first week because Alita actually has 400 million box office overall from what I understand with the cost of the movie was enough to squeak out a profit.

I believe that AmpersandsUnited is talking about Japanese domestic numbers only, not global figures.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 10:13 am Reply with quote
Norm the genius wrote:
A hit in the history, the first movie based on a videogame that does not stinks.

Where are you posting from, that they don't quote classic Van Damme "Street Fighter" lines?
("Quick, change the channel!")
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 1:10 pm Reply with quote
danpmss wrote:
Please don't make me think of this as my headcanon.

Hey! It was my idea! Come on now... LOL

On a more serious note, don't you think Mr. Ford looks a bit like Oak? They have the same grey hair and body structure.
Emma Iveli

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 1:44 pm Reply with quote
Saw it on Friday, wore an Eevee shirt.

Also on the whole Harrison Ford looking like Pro. Oak... now I wish there was a scene of him parodying the stinger at the end of Iron Man or him asking someone if their a boy or a girl... either would have been funny...
Tenchi

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 2:48 pm Reply with quote
AkumaChef wrote:

I believe that AmpersandsUnited is talking about Japanese domestic numbers only, not global figures.

It's the North American domestic numbers, Alita only made ~$7.7 million in Japan. It was China that was the biggest market for Alita, with ~$133.4 million.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Juno016

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Norm the genius wrote:

Ace Attorney was very good, too. I prefer to say this is a monumental moment for hollywood, since they're the ones that have had the most problems with adapting video game and anime films. Ace Attorney was a Japanese film and if you look at it, you know a film like that can only come out of Japan.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2