• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sony, Microsoft Agree to Co-Develop Streaming for Games, Content

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aphasial
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 11:29 pm Reply with quote
Can't wait for this to be incorporated in the next Hyperdimension Neptunia main line game or OVA! Anime hyper
Tripple-A

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 12:35 pm Reply with quote
Streaming for games >.<
v1cious

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 12:38 pm Reply with quote
This emphasis on Cloud Gaming is interesting. I wonder if we'll see end of consoles soon.
Aphasial
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 1:00 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
This emphasis on Cloud Gaming is interesting. I wonder if we'll see end of consoles soon.

I don't think it's the end, but I think the platform manufacturers definitely want to keep at the forefront of things and not let Google or (secondarily) Steam/Epic to get in a leadership position.

I think it's a good thing for both companies, really. Sony brings its PS Now service tech and the fact that it won this generation, Microsoft brings Azure and its ability to run the cloud service in a way that meets SLA expectations for both companies simultaneously. Neither of them have to give cloud dollars or any industry approval to Google's efforts, and they both get to spread out their own efforts internally. Nintendo is off doing its own thing like usual.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 1:14 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
it's too early to say, you see every time something like this comes along, every company has to get involved just encase it succeeds and they are left out, they did the same thing with motion controls and VR.
jdnation

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 10:26 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:

No for several reasons.

Publishers are not going to let go of the $60 + more expensive collectors edition delivery models for pennies from cheaper streaming alternatives.

I suspect much of streaming will involve older titles that've already front loaded themselves on the market.

Or - basically you'll be paying for the privilege of streaming the Free to Play games you can already download for free, that are reliant on microtransactions and loot boxes. This will at least eliminate the hassle of downloads and installation and hardware limitations.

Other platforms like motion controlled games and VR will not be using streaming.

Now... you might suggest that streaming could take a big chunk of the casual market away, and particularly for the digital downloading market, just as streaming killed the digital movie market, but physical still survives. Similarly, for those who want local hardware with the best quality, don't have the best internet plans, and want the latest games, the hardware model will remain.

Also a lot depends on Google's pricing. If Google doesn't get the latest $60 games, or prices the latest games at $60 each for streaming, then the hardcore by and large won't bite.

Google can leverage cheaper subscription packages for older titles and their own in-house exclusives. So for example, Ubisoft probably won't mind putting in the Assassins Creed title from 2 years ago on the service, but the next upcoming Assassin's Creed won't be on Google on release day, or even for another 1-2 years.

This is why Sony doesn't put the latest PS4 games on PSNow. It's all older titles. Sony makes more money selling you those games by themselves.

Google Stadia will be great for the casual market who don't need the latest games and just want to save money on games and hardware, and don't collect.

We need to wait until Google releases their pricing plan, which is what can make or break the whole thing.

But essentially Streaming looks to be a boon for the GAAS market, where continuous patches and updates can be done often on the dev's end without inconveniencing the user.

Last edited by jdnation on Sat May 18, 2019 10:44 am; edited 1 time in total
King Pickle the Wise

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 10:41 am Reply with quote
No thank you. I prefer to actually own my games,

Remember that video where Sony made fun of Microsoft because they could have used games and Microsoft couldn't? I guess Sony is changing sides now
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1