• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Is there any anime about drug use?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MasterRoshiX

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 3:52 am Reply with quote
Not that I condone drugs or anything. I've read some manga that did have serious slice of life stories about people and the bad effects of drugs... just wondering if there is any anime out there that did have the theme and if there is, would any of this stuff be even considered for domestic release to the states.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 4:24 am Reply with quote
Fatal Fury 2 has the protagonist develop a serious alcahol addiction but that's all that comes to mind at the moment.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 12:24 pm Reply with quote
I know that this anime had a character that was addiected to heroin. spoiler[Ends up dying while he's doing what he does the best, mahjong.]
daxomni

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 12:53 pm Reply with quote
Several anime titles include fictional drugs but real-world recreational drugs beyond alcohol and tobacco seem to be rather rare. There are a large number of drug-related themes in the world of hentai, but nearly all of these revolve around drugs similar in function to Flunitrazepam (better known as Rohypnol to North Americans). I can only remember a few random mainstream titles that included consumption of tobacco or alcohol but none of these covered issues related to addiction. I wish i could be of more assistance, but that's all I can come up with at the moment.
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 7:59 pm Reply with quote
There's a story arc concerning opium in both the anime and manga of Rurouni Kenshin. It's a fairly short one, though, so I wouldn't say the entire series has that theme running through it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Dranxis

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 9:45 pm Reply with quote
Some of Black Jack's episodes involve drugs, albeit fictional ones. There was a particularly memorable OVA about a group of girls addicted to the sap of a cacti that could give them hallucinations if they pricked their fingers on the needles. That's all I can think of though.
sykosteve

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 9:53 pm Reply with quote
Ghost in the shell has some focus on cyber drugs...i'm sure lots of cyber punk futuristic anime focus no cyber drugs.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
ZombieSheep

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 3:08 am Reply with quote
Serial Experiments Lain had an episode involving a fictional drug and the serious effect it had on a guy in a night club. But like the other series mentioned thusfar, the series itself doesn't focus entirely on drugs and/or addiction, as drugged-out as the series itself seems.
frostedsaiyan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 3:19 am Reply with quote
I know most of the anime I see that have drugs in them only show a episode or two involving the drug. I know there's and episode in Boogiepop Phantom where a boy uses a drug called "Type-S." Also, as someone has mentioned before there are a few episodes in Rurouni Kenshin where Opium is brought up. There's also a really funny episode of Cowboy Bebop called "Mushroom Samba," where the crew gets their hands on a bad batch of mushrooms...if you know what I mean. Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Char_Aznable

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:19 am Reply with quote
I believe there are characters smoking weed in another part of Cowboy Bebop. It's when they're tracking the chess master guy, and they enter his ... space colony, whatever the location was. There are a couple stoner-type guys that appear to be smoking if I remember correctly. I forget the entire scene, it's been a long time since I've seen it. The Mushroom Samba episode was classic, too. Spike's "stairway to heaven" is a great scene.

Is drug culture seen as cool or subversive by any portion of the Japanese population, or is it generally avoided and condemned? I've never encountered any statistics or reports on drug use in Japan. What about the abuse of prescription drugs?
Fàite

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:49 pm Reply with quote
anime#4363
not sure if the main character is actually drug induced, however the artistry and feel of the whole movie is like a bad trip...maybe why it's called Mind Game? lol
Watch it, it's brilliant and well worth your time Anime smallmouth
sykosteve

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:51 pm Reply with quote
Speaking of Cowboy Bebop, let us not forget the first episode of the series.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
nailz

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:57 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, the "red eye" from ep 1 Cowboy Bebop.

How about Azumanga Daioh! I seriously wonder if Sakaki was on drugs with the whole cat-dad hallucinations. *lol* Okay, maybe not......

I can't think of a whole series devoted to drug use, but it does come up here and there in shows, usually with minor or one-time characters. Angel Sanctuary has a drug addict char. I think it would be interesting if there was an anime about dealing with drug addiction. Some thing new...
Char_Aznable

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:04 pm Reply with quote
I saw a manga titled "Legal Drug" with a pot leaf on the cover, but I have no clue if the series is about drug use. I saw "CLAMP" and slowly backed away.
drakonslair

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:35 am Reply with quote
Char_Aznable wrote:
I saw a manga titled "Legal Drug" with a pot leaf on the cover, but I have no clue if the series is about drug use. I saw "CLAMP" and slowly backed away.

I seem to remember hearing about that before ... pretty sure it doesnt have any illeagal drugs in it but my recollection is vague
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2