• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Yet Another Hidden Haruhi Suzumiya VA Poll

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Malintex Terek

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 4:26 am Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
Please correct me if I'm
wrong, but I think Kate's the only one in that group who actually sings. (Again,
if I am wrong about that, please correct me.)

Sadly, I believe you are right. There's always potential to hire an English actress who can sing the Haruhi songs in place of the selected actor; Disney does such almost all the time and it's frequently unnoticeable.

Last edited by Malintex Terek on Mon Jan 01, 2007 6:00 am; edited 1 time in total
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 5:30 am Reply with quote
Dubbed songs in an anime are usually horrible anyway, so whether the actress could possibly sing or not didn't factor into my decision - I'll likely just tune to the Japanese track for the ENOZ songs, or the OP and ED if they get bold enough to dub those, too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Malintex Terek

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 6:06 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Dubbed songs in an anime are usually horrible anyway....

Is that so? They're rather rare, but all of the examples that come to my mind, even the "weakest" (which I believe to be Kiddy Grade's opening) were rather well done.

Even if one considers dub openings to be something found only in history, Higgin's rendition of Denbo-chan's song in Bobobo-bobo-bobo was wonderful, and it rhymed to boot.

If something as niche-oriented as Bobobo got a dubbed song, why not something like Haruhi? Arguably, Denbo's song was relevant to Bobobo's plot, but so is the concert in episode twelve. I would be just a tad disappointed at the opening and ending not being dubbed, but something important to the story like the concert is egregiously annoying.
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 11:09 am Reply with quote
Heh, I had completely forgotten that Kate Higgins could sing, but she was my choice on the poll. All of them are fine here, but I liked the sound of Kate's performance the best here (I also voted for her on Yuki too. Ah well.. Confused ) Hoping she does get one of the roles she's up for, though, as she's quite talented and one I have not heard much of at this point.
CGord

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 11:13 am Reply with quote
Kate Higgins went to CA to be a singer & wound up voice acting, so I know she could knock Haruhi's songs out of the park, but Kari Wahlgren is the best choice for capturing HS' energy.

So let's call it!

Haruhi Suzumiya: Kari Wahlgren

Kyon: Crispin Freeman

Itsuki: Johnny Yong Bosch

Mikuru: Stephanie Sheh

Yuki: Kate Higgins
(close 2nd: Michelle Ruff)
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 11:30 am Reply with quote
Rªdì¢âl_£Ð wrote:

I've never heard Mary McGlynn sing. But if you want a singing Haruhi actress, look no further than Melissa Fahn. Not only can she do the role of Haruhi but she is a trained singer and a damn good one. If we could do a write in, I'd so vote for her. It's unfortunate that she isn't, though.

Yea, I'm pretty disappointed she isn't one of the choices. Mad

On another note, if they do plan on dubbing the in-songs (of which I REALLY hope; c'mon I love to hear English VAs sing, why should some of the Japanese seiyuu have all the fun?), maybe they could get Kate Higgins to be Haruhi's "singing voice".
ZeroRyoko1974

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 11:31 am Reply with quote
Quote:
WARNING
Your action has created a 404 Error in the space-time continuum.

LMAO Laughing
The Seventh Son

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 11:50 am Reply with quote
HOW THE HELL DO YOU GO TO THE POLL!?!?!
Saviour Atrhun Zala

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 11:52 am Reply with quote
CGord wrote:
Kate Higgins went to CA to be a singer & wound up voice acting, so I know she could knock Haruhi's songs out of the park, but Kari Wahlgren is the best choice for capturing HS' energy.

So let's call it!

Haruhi Suzumiya: Kari Wahlgren

Kyon: Crispin Freeman

Itsuki: Johnny Yong Bosch

Mikuru: Stephanie Sheh

Yuki: Kate Higgins
(close 2nd: Michelle Ruff)

I like that. they match perfectly. I'd probably keep Kate Higgins for Yuki though. I love Stephanie Sheh's voice Wink
rpgmaster1

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 11:59 am Reply with quote
Most of the female VAs have to voice children anyway and there's even more of a shortage for boys. I can think of only 3 VAs who are still voicing boys. Mona Marshall is quite obvious to many people (Toboe in Wolf's Rain), Barbara Goodson (makes a great Laharl in the upcoming Disgaea anime), and Wendee Lee (T.K. from DIgimon Season 1 and Yahiko from Ruroni Kenshin). Kadokawa is not going to allow dubbed singing on the opening and ending songs, but may (slim to none chance) on Mikuru's and the concert. I remember Bandai did for GSD and turned out decent (probably worse for Meer's concert).
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 12:02 pm Reply with quote
The Seventh Son wrote:
HOW THE HELL DO YOU GO TO THE POLL!?!?!

Click "by." (It wasn't hidden as well last night, they must've changed it)

As for the list....the only one I don't whole-heartedly agree with is JYB, and he's a fine actor so I know he'll do a good job. If that's what the final cast is, I think I"ll really enjoy it.

EDIT: Is dubbing songs in the middle of an episode that big of a sin? I can understand having issues with the OP and the ED behind dubbed, but it seems stupid NOT to dub the songs when the characters are actually singing. I can't think of a single anime that hasn't dubbed songs that the characters were sining--from Princess Tutu to Azumanga Daioh to Porco Rosso.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
The Seventh Son

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 12:12 pm Reply with quote
they all cant capture the original japanese voice. only japanese can make it that hyper. but regardless i voted for 5.

this is why i heavily prefer subs.
hanachan01

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 12:14 pm Reply with quote
I chose Kate Higgins. She had the best energy to me, and I liked the way she delivered her lines the best. However, Kari Wahlgreen is a close second.

And while I don't want to see "Bouken Desho Desho" or "Hare Hare Yukai" dubbed, I'd love to see that for "G'd Knows" and "Lost My Music." I think it would sound more natural. Also, if the VA for Haruhi can't sing (which I would doubt), I'm sure one of the other series VAs could sing for her.
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 12:21 pm Reply with quote
Maybe it's the dub fan in me, but I don't think dub voices exactly should match the Japanese performance...otherwise it'd just be an impersonation, not a performance, and the acting would come off as not sounding right.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 12:23 pm Reply with quote
rpgmaster1 wrote:
Most of the female VAs have to voice children anyway and there's even more of a shortage for boys. I can think of only 3 VAs who are still voicing boys. Mona Marshall is quite obvious to many people (Toboe in Wolf's Rain), Barbara Goodson (makes a great Laharl in the upcoming Disgaea anime), and Wendee Lee (T.K. from DIgimon Season 1 and Yahiko from Ruroni Kenshin). Kadokawa is not going to allow dubbed singing on the opening and ending songs, but may (slim to none chance) on Mikuru's and the concert. I remember Bandai did for GSD and turned out decent (probably worse for Meer's concert).

Julie Ann Taylor and Philece Sampler have voiced quite a few male characters (and pretty well at that) at this point, so you could add them. New Gen has J.D. Stone who voices a lot of young boys. I don't think Brianne Siddall is gone at this point, though I think she only shows up in union stuff recently.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7