• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Yet Another Hidden Haruhi Suzumiya VA Poll

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CGord

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 12:34 pm Reply with quote
hanachan01 wrote:
And while I don't want to see "Bouken Desho Desho" or "Hare Hare Yukai" dubbed, I'd love to see that for "G'd Knows" and "Lost My Music."

I agree 100%. Keep the original op/ed themes, but for the in-ep songs, the VA needs to do them. Kari Wahlgren can sing, though I can't say I've heard her.

From her website: Singing: Mezzo-Soprano
Haterater

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 12:43 pm Reply with quote
I would love to see the opening and endings dubbed. For crying out loud people, if you don't like switch to the Japanese track! That's why its there if you don't want to listen to English versions of the songs! Some people act like their force to listen to the songs in English or something...
rpgmaster1

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 1:45 pm Reply with quote
EmperorBrandon wrote:
rpgmaster1 wrote:
Most of the female VAs have to voice children anyway and there's even more of a shortage for boys. I can think of only 3 VAs who are still voicing boys. Mona Marshall is quite obvious to many people (Toboe in Wolf's Rain), Barbara Goodson (makes a great Laharl in the upcoming Disgaea anime), and Wendee Lee (T.K. from DIgimon Season 1 and Yahiko from Ruroni Kenshin). Kadokawa is not going to allow dubbed singing on the opening and ending songs, but may (slim to none chance) on Mikuru's and the concert. I remember Bandai did for GSD and turned out decent (probably worse for Meer's concert).

Julie Ann Taylor and Philece Sampler have voiced quite a few male characters (and pretty well at that) at this point, so you could add them. New Gen has J.D. Stone who voices a lot of young boys. I don't think Brianne Siddall is gone at this point, though I think she only shows up in union stuff recently.

You're right about those three, but I haven't heard them recently in any anime (except maybe Philece Sampler in Bleach as that blond fairy). Brianne Siddall seems to do only union work since I last heard her as Jr. in Xenosaga: Episode III like Lia Sargent. The same could be said for Bridget Hoffman in union work only. We always seem to get older women to voice young boys and they do sound appropiate, but choices seem to be limited.
omnistry

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 2:32 pm Reply with quote
I chose #1 for Haruhi. Although none of them pleased me as much, this wass the better choice. The woman also did Haruko from FLCL; so I think she'll do somewhat of a good job with Haruhi.
RZetlin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 2:34 pm Reply with quote
The link for Itsuki Koizumi doesn't work.

I get:

WARNING
Your action has created a 404 Error in the space-time continuum.
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 2:35 pm Reply with quote
RZetlin wrote:
The link for Itsuki Koizumi doesn't work.

I get:

WARNING
Your action has created a 404 Error in the space-time continuum.

Most likely the other polls have already been closed. It does the same thing for Yuki, Kyon, and Mikuru as well.
Meccanica

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 3:39 pm Reply with quote
I think #1 has it, and here's why (for me):

All the others sound like they are actually asking Kyon a question.

#1 is just phrasing her thoughts in the form of questions.

Haruhi would never go to Kyon for input- at least, not directly. #1 is the only one who seemed to have that quality.
Also, #5 sounded exactly like a happier Faye.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 3:50 pm Reply with quote
Malintex Terek wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
Dubbed songs in an anime are usually horrible anyway....

Is that so? They're rather rare, but all of the examples that come to my mind, even the "weakest" (which I believe to be Kiddy Grade's opening) were rather well done.

Ugh, don't remind me of that one.

Haterater wrote:
I would love to see the opening and endings dubbed. For crying out loud people, if you don't like switch to the Japanese track! That's why its there if you don't want to listen to English versions of the songs! Some people act like their force to listen to the songs in English or something...

Like any other dubbed anime song, it will be terrible, and embarassing to watch for the first time with any of your friends that haven't seen it yet and prefer to watch dubs. A little thing like a bad dubbed OP can be all it takes to turn a new fan off to a show.

Fortunately, dubbing of an OP or ED is very rare, and I don't think Bandai's ever done it with their shows.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
zalas

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Meccanica wrote:
I think #1 has it, and here's why (for me):

All the others sound like they are actually asking Kyon a question.

#1 is just phrasing her thoughts in the form of questions.

Haruhi would never go to Kyon for input- at least, not directly. #1 is the only one who seemed to have that quality.
Also, #5 sounded exactly like a happier Faye.

That's funny... I thought everyone but #3 sounded like they were asking a serious question, hehe. Plus, #1 just doesn't sound quite like Haruhi...
domino

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 4:36 pm Reply with quote
I have no idea which character this was supposed to be, but I'm shocked that number 5 has so many votes. That was the only one that was so amazingly bad I couldn't stand to listen all the way through..... Anime cry the rest of them were so-so. It's not that their voices are bad (except for #5, who shouldnt be allowed to speak) -- it was that they just can't act and sounded like they were trying way too hard, which is the main problem with English voice actors. This is why I don't watch English dubs unless they are 120% comedies like Bobobo, where being ridiculously bad is a GOOD thing.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 4:46 pm Reply with quote
domino wrote:
I have no idea which character this was supposed to be

You didn't vote, did you?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Of course, I hope everyone puts this into perspective. In spite the fact of who gets in, the other important factor of making the MoHS dub a complete success is the ADR director (and sometimes the determination of whatever dubbing studio gets this; I'm getting a bigger feeling Animaze is getting this one). You can have the best casting ever, but if the director is not up to it, everything else is pretty much moot point.
EmeraldTheMaster

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 5:25 pm Reply with quote
domino wrote:
I have no idea which character this was supposed to be, but I'm shocked that number 5 has so many votes. That was the only one that was so amazingly bad I couldn't stand to listen all the way through..... Anime cry the rest of them were so-so. It's not that their voices are bad (except for #5, who shouldnt be allowed to speak) -- it was that they just can't act and sounded like they were trying way too hard, which is the main problem with English voice actors. This is why I don't watch English dubs unless they are 120% comedies like Bobobo, where being ridiculously bad is a GOOD thing.

Please tell me you didn't vote. It's obvious you don't know who you're voting for or even what the character is like, so please tell me you didn't vote.
Wolverine Princess

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 5:43 pm Reply with quote
MorwenLaicoriel wrote:
I can't think of a single anime that hasn't dubbed songs that the characters were sining--from Princess Tutu to Azumanga Daioh to Porco Rosso.

There are probably a bunch of others, but just off the top of my head I know the dubs for Gravitation and Nurse Witch Komugi had moments where the English-speaking characters would suddenly burst out singing in Japanese during episodes that had music concerts.
Fiction Alchemist

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Deleted this embarrassing post.

Last edited by Fiction Alchemist on Thu Sep 08, 2022 10:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7