• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Dance in the Vampire Bund DVD/Blu-Ray

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:15 pm Reply with quote
Prede wrote:
ArsenicSteel wrote:
Quote:
Greg Ayres did say that some voice actors used aliases for this show. And he asked that people not call them out on it. He said they did it for a reason, and it's best to respect their wishes. I completely understand with a show like this...

I have no respect for unexplained reasons why it is okay to get paid for working on a series like this but not okay to attach your main name to.

He explained that being attached to this show could cause problems for some, one example was a school teacher. If it became well known he/she was in this show, it would be hard to explain it to the higher ups. It is a very, uh, mature show. Also he said if everyone tries to post who is really in this, then you can bet on them never being in a show like this again.

Hey, which VA is a teacher? I'm a teacher too and I think it's super awesome that someone can do both voice acting and teach. Oh and I'm not trying to match the teacher to the alias name. Just the name that he/she uses for work that's not so controversial.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:25 pm Reply with quote
Past wrote:
Well I'm generally not a dub watcher, but I like the idea of moderately experienced, and occasionally talented voice actors being in this show more than having to hire pr0n stars as voice overs. They're used to using aliases and are already far removed from PTA member approval, so an ecchi show about vampires probably wouldn't phase them.

Or they could just get real actors that act for a living and not part-timers that are in fear of getting called-out for anything super silly or artsy fartsy.
Shenl742

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:38 pm Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
Past wrote:
Well I'm generally not a dub watcher, but I like the idea of moderately experienced, and occasionally talented voice actors being in this show more than having to hire pr0n stars as voice overs. They're used to using aliases and are already far removed from PTA member approval, so an ecchi show about vampires probably wouldn't phase them.

Or they could just get real actors that act for a living and not part-timers that are in fear of getting called-out for anything super silly or artsy fartsy.

I think it's kind of disengenous to say that someone isn't a "real actor" just because they can't eke out a livelihood completely on voice-acting.

And I can respect them for wanting to use a pseudonyme. I'm sure some VAs need every credit they can get while at the same time they have a reputation in other sides of their life to consider.

I mean, don't a lot of big VAs use different names all the time, or even go uncredited so they can work both in and out of unions?

I get what you're saying in that does seem kind of silly, maybe you can even call it a breach of integrity, but they're not really hurting anyone here, so I'm not going to pass judgement on how people choose to run their careers.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:10 pm Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel, it's time for you to face facts:

-maybe YOU are in a financial state where you can risk your job with no regrets, but that doesn't apply for everyone. Teachers can get in trouble very easily over issues regarding minors, so yes, even voice-acting a show like this could cause issues. That's just the paranoid world we live in nowadays
-VAs, writers, etc. have used aliases in the past, so it's hardly a rare occurrence
-how are you any better? Your username itself is an alias, we don't know your real name. Obviously the response is, "but there are risks in using my real name". Duh, and same applies to at least one VA regarding this show
-finally, it's their decision and FUNimation (AKA the company that actually gives them their paycheck) apparently respects it. I'm sure the VAs can sleep at night even if one unknown person on the Internet who has no bearing on their lives disapproves Laughing
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:17 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
And I can respect them for wanting to use a pseudonyme. I'm sure some VAs need every credit they can get while at the same time they have a reputation in other sides of their life to consider.

That concern is an issue for part-timers with other jobs that would punish them for voice acting in a show that has controversial bits. I am not sold on there being a job that would or could do that, maybe Disney, but yay for unfounded fear.

Quote:
I mean, don't a lot of big VAs use different names all the time, or even go uncredited so they can work both in and out of unions?

This is not the same reason being discussed. It just shows that union actors have ways to get around union rules with a technicality but it is not done to completely obscure who they are.

Quote:
I get what you're saying in that does seem kind of silly, maybe you can even call it a breach of integrity, but they're not really hurting anyone here, so I'm not going to pass judgement on how people choose to run their careers.

If "not really hurting anyone" was accepted phrase we wouldn't have people trying to hide themselves with aliases.
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:55 pm Reply with quote
Interesting review Key, it's making me want to rewatch the show and see if I will enjoy. I think I gave it a "Not Really Good" but I'll give it another chance. I think it may have been Mina who turned me away from the show but back during my first viewing, I was a newcomer to anime. Hopefully I may enjoy this show - I do remember enjoying the art and Mina's adult form.
maaya

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:24 am Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
I have no respect for unexplained reasons why it is okay to get paid for working on a series like this but not okay to attach your main name to.

About the using an alias part: This is extremely common practice in Japan. I'd even say a majority of mangaka and voice actors there use pseudonyms. I never counted, but for sure a lot of them do.
A lot do it to have a cooler sounding name, but a lot also because they don't want people to know that they're drawing manga.

Among your favorite mangakas or seiyus there surely is at least one using a pseudonym. The author of Dance in the Vampire Bund (Tamaki Nozomu) probably does, too. Or his brother (Shimamoto Harumi). Because it'd be weird for them to have different family names.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:39 am Reply with quote
Trying to make a cooler sounding name or a name separate from your real name is something I am aware of and is not what is being seen here.
darkhappy1

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:28 pm Reply with quote
@ArsenicSteel
Maybe I missed the answer to the question I'm about to ask, but why does it matter that the voice actors have to have their real names on the credits if they don't want it to be in there? Why is it not okay? They still put effort into their performances, but they just want to be safe when it comes to maintaining their jobs and a good reputation in a struggling economy. One can never be too sure that a workplace won't find DitVB and somehow, perhaps in unexplainable paranoia or prejudice, associate the employee with illegal or uncanny obsessions, actions, or disorders (e.g. vampirism, terrorism, pedophilia, necrophilia, etc.). You have to admit that it gives off a strong air of lolicon just from the promotional material (which sets off Parental Control alarms even if it's rated 17+). RIN: Daughters of Mnemosyne's promotional materials only featured BDSM (which is totally legal as long as it's consensual), rape (which is excepted in adult/mature works and used frequently in romances/dramas) and cannibalism (which isn't as much of a concern in America).

Now about the review (and thus the show), it almost matches with my opinion about Dance of the Vampire Bund too. I still welcomed Shinbo's "cinematography" and direction with open arms, but the only scenes I remember that were improved by the style were whenever Mei-Ren appeared with those lips of hers and the first time Mina and Nanami met (which is when Nanami was going to complain about the inclusion of vampires within the school). I loved the old-timey countdowns too. Manica Rial's Mina is serviceable, but I liked Aoi Yuki's Mina better. (Aoi Yuki is on a roll...) There were some parts of the show where I had to say "Really?" (such as Mina's "vulnerabilities", the last part of the big fight in Episode 7, the name Hysterica, the Veratos Boob Bouncin' in the first episode, the first episode, etc.), but it was very enjoyable for what it had. I probably won't dread the eventual rewatch.

P.S. I'm sure Akira explained Mina's Episode 2 incompetence in episode 6 spoiler[while he was shouting at Mina. It was the episode where he started to doubt his loyalty to Mina after finding out about the Grandson kidnapping. I think he said that she was willingly being weak to form more of a bond with him.] Or maybe I'm just filling in holes with marshmallows.
Kichigai_Usagi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Sometimes the Anime version is better and sometimes the Manga is better. I definatly say skip this failed attempt and continue enjoying the much better Manga version.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:05 pm Reply with quote
RIN featured a character that would be physically considered underage that gets drunk, has sex, and gets raped but due to technically being an "immortal" in the show its A-OK for these same VAs to have their normal stage names listed. Where is the fear of reprisal if RIN became popular and some prude caused a fuss about the content? Rin and DTVB are aimed at the same demographic, mature audiences.

Quote:
One can never be too sure that a workplace won't find DitVB and somehow, perhaps in unexplainable paranoia or prejudice, associate the employee with illegal or uncanny obsessions, actions, or disorders (e.g. vampirism, terrorism, pedophilia, necrophilia, etc.).

A person that would confuse fantasy with reality so easily would not have a job in the first place. They would be either at home popping meds or locked up with Nurse Ratched. Sane adults are a lot smarter and will not tie a VA to terrorist/pedo/necro acts just because their voice is featured in a TV show with said acts.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:34 pm Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
A person that would confuse fantasy with reality so easily would not have a job in the first place. They would be either at home popping meds or locked up with Nurse Ratched. Sane adults are a lot smarter and will not tie a VA to terrorist/pedo/necro acts just because their voice is featured in a TV show with said acts.

You are grossly underestimating the prudishness of some employers out there, ArsenicSteel. There are a lot of people in the world (or at least in the U.S., anyway) who aren't open-minded enough to ignore something like being associated with a project like this, given its content.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:06 pm Reply with quote
You are grossly overestimating the type of actions an employer that is not Disney can take if they learn an employee provided the voice of character in a project like this. But hey fear is a powerful tool even when the threat is empty.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:44 pm Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
You are grossly overestimating the type of actions an employer that is not Disney can take if they learn an employee provided the voice of character in a project like this. But hey fear is a powerful tool even when the threat is empty.

Actions can be subtle (i.e, being passed over for a raise or promotion, stricter enforcement of company policies, etc.). Also, there is the factor of looking for future employment to consider. It is much easier to never hire someone than to fire them or otherwise modify their current employment. When companies check social sites as part of the process of selecting someone, this being a factor is no stretch at all.
animekitty

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:07 pm Reply with quote
Lose the anime, read the manga.

Although amusing in places, the anime never came close to capturing the soul of a very well written manga. It made unnecessary changes in effort to capture a broader market and failed. Too bad, it could have stayed close to its source and become so much more.

Sorry, epic fail.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6