• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Interview: Milton Griepp and the American Anime Awards

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Richard J.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:04 pm Reply with quote
nobody1801 wrote:
Next thing they'll tell us is everything is going smoothly in Iraq.
Must you interject politics into a discussion that has nothing at all to do with politics? You actually made a valid point about how silly they've been with the nominating pool, but then you nearly ruin your moment of glory by sounding like a partisan.

Do you believe that everyone you disagree with works for the government or something? Confused

My own thoughts on the subject of fans voting is that it'll turn into a popularity contest rather than a genuine debate on the quality of the nominated anime.

However, if it were just an industry or "third party" panel of judges making decisions, it'd be worse. Personal biases would rule the choices rather than mass appeal. Mass appeal can at least be considered a sign of quality. If it were just a panel voting alone, you'd see a lot of anime getting awards not because they were necessary high-quality but rather that they had the right message. (The Oscars are often like that, at least in my opinion.)

MorwenLaicoriel's idea seems good to me. Create a voting system using both a panel and the fan base. At the very least, that should minimize the effect of panelists's individual biases while also reigning in the "popular" vote.

There should be more categories. Anime is a medium for telling a story, not a genre. Most film award shows have quite a few more categories than simply "dramatic" and "comedic." (Perhaps there should be a category specifically honoring the most popular anime and one just for a panel's pick.)

One way or the other, it's great that we're going to have an awards show.

Too bad I'll never see it since my satellite carrier doesn't like the Anime Network. Evil or Very Mad
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:00 pm Reply with quote
Cut and Pasted from Other Thread

It was a good interview. The guy did come up with some fairly solid answers, some a little mealy-mouthed (IMO), but solid.

I did like the fact that, when asked about the typos, etc., he stepped up and said that it was "Our fault." Bravo!

I still hope that after this first AAA is over, some of the rules will be revised (i.e. only NEW anime nominated) and logic will be used (Akira = Comedy Confused

Everyone has made such excellent suggestions! I want to agree with everyone but since some ideas do conflict with each other.... Rolling Eyes Very Happy

In My Opinion, the major voting should be done by people in the industry: VAs, producers, directors perhaps even Company CEOs (NOT Al Kahn!), translators, writers and ADR people. THEN, fans should be allowed to pick for Fan-based awards (VA Actor/Actress, Comedy, Drama, Anime of the Year). Or have Industry votes be equal to a certain percentage and Fan votes for another ( Industry 1 vote = 1 vote and Fan votes 10 votes = 1 vote)

I don't know, maybe what I've suggested is REALLY off the wall. But the ONE thing that I do know is that the nomiation process will have to be fixed one way or another.

BTW - I'm really glad that there is going to be this awards show even if there are problems and I'm not going to be able to see it!

Last edited by LydiaDianne on Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:51 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
Mass appeal can at least be considered a sign of quality. If it were just a panel voting alone, you'd see a lot of anime getting awards not because they were necessary high-quality but rather that they had the right message. (The Oscars are often like that, at least in my opinion.)

The Oscars celebrate quality in filmmaking, not box office success or mass appeal. It is artists and professionals voting based on years of experience. It is not perfect, of course, and the "best picture" is often not, but if you look at the list of nominees, it is clear that these really are frequently the best movies of the year.

Go watch this year's frontrunners - Babel, Dreamgirls, The Queen, United 93, Children of Men, Pan's Labyrinth, The Departed - and tell me that somehow the moviegoing public that makes Garfield: A Tale of Two Kitties a $70 million grossing pic would bother to select any of these outstanding and amazing films as best of the year.

Open that up to Joe Shmoe and suddenly X-Men The Last Stand is nominated for Best Picture.

Which is why something like Naruto or Bleach will easily win this contest and stuff like Millennium Actress or Perfect Blue or Gankutsuou - real works of art - will go ignored.
nobody1801

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 1:14 am Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
nobody1801 wrote:
Next thing they'll tell us is everything is going smoothly in Iraq.
Must you interject politics into a discussion that has nothing at all to do with politics? You actually made a valid point about how silly they've been with the nominating pool, but then you nearly ruin your moment of glory by sounding like a partisan.

Do you believe that everyone you disagree with works for the government or something? Confused

Oh jesus, take a chill pill... Free speech man.

Don't take things so seriouslly, you'll live longer. We agree about the topoic, for crying out loud...
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 1:20 am Reply with quote
nobody1801 wrote:

Freedom of speech not Freedom to pointlessly insert quasi-political opinions in totally unrelated subjects (or atleast, freedom to do so, but doesn't nessecerally have a point).
nobody1801

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 1:27 am Reply with quote
Steventheeunuch wrote:
nobody1801 wrote:

Freedom of speech not Freedom to pointlessly insert quasi-political opinions in totally unrelated subjects (or atleast, freedom to do so, but doesn't nessecerally have a point).

Guys, it's only a big deal if you make it a big deal.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 1:31 am Reply with quote
Steventheeunuch wrote:

Stop jumping down his throat for a harmless throwaway comment. You're acting like someone saying the war in Iraq isn't going well is some kind of insulting or controversial statement; it's a very common and widespread opinion, especially in America, that this is like you're telling him not to say the sky is blue because some people might think it's green.

Enough with the derail, stop discussing this.
shirokiryuu

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 1:48 am Reply with quote
MorwenLaicoriel wrote:

It maybe would be the best if there was some sort of...industry panel that did some of the voting. Like, have the "professional" judges count for one part of the vote and the fans count for another part. (...Like....Dancing with the Stars.)

But it might take more than that to override the fan voting of the masses.

Take Dancing with the Stars two seasons ago. P.Miller, judges gave him the worst scores ever, and he didn't even care/try. But he still remained in the competition because of mass fan voting. (then again, I theorized people voted for him because it was entertaining to see him suffer while dancing).

Another thing is, what chance that all of the fans voting have seen all these series?
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 2:05 am Reply with quote
shirokiryuu wrote:

Another thing is, what chance that all of the fans voting have seen all these series?

Admittedly, I haven't. I've seen some of the 'artsier' titles (like Gankutsuou--although, actually, I'm not all the way through yet), and of course I've seen stuff like Naruto and Bleach, but...a lot of the titles I haven't had a chance to see yet.

In general, though, I'm a relatively new fan compared to some people, so I haven't seen a lot of anime that would be considered essentials. For example, I haven't seen Akira. (I know, I know.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
darkhunter

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 4:25 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
MorwenLaicoriel wrote:

It maybe would be the best if there was some sort of...industry panel that did some of the voting. Like, have the "professional" judges count for one part of the vote and the fans count for another part. (...Like....Dancing with the Stars.)

If it were up to me, I'd do it one way or the other; professional judges who nominate and vote on the winners a'la the Academy Awards, or fan-nominated and fan-voted like People's Choice.

I'd really prefer the former if we want to aim for the goal of seriousness of purpose, the sincere legitimacy that's afforded the Oscars. A fan-run ceremony might be fun at a convention or something, but if we want this to be taken seriously, it really should be done in the style of the Emmys or the Oscars and not include public voting.

Professional judges would probably be the best idea. They can also throw in "Fan's Choice Award" catergory as a popularity contest thing.
Anime World Order

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 1:02 pm Reply with quote
I'm quite glad that Zac asked the questions he did in the manner he did, because that's exactly what I would have wanted to know. What I, and most others, are not so hot on are the answers provided to said questions.

So the main people who came up with these awards are primarily associated with the American comicbook industry and ludicrous endeavors such as Free Comic Book Day, which somehow thinks it's a brilliant idea to CHARGE STORES MONEY for the "free" comicbooks, resulting in many comicbook stores not bothering? Sure, I knew NYCC was a comicbook con (my first reaction to this announcement was "why do this at a comicbook convention instead of an anime one?"), but I didn't know ICv2 was part of this too. ICv2 is so closely affiliated with Diamond Comics (aka "the reason nobody reads US comicbooks anymore except for a highly dedicated yet ever-dwindling fanbase") that I used to think Diamond owned them. Suddenly this whole mess makes a little more sense.

Milton Griepp wrote:
So while at its simplest level the American Anime Awards is a popularity contest, the fans of anime are a special group . . . if there are large groups of fans voting for their favorites, that's a great measure of how much they enjoyed the anime, and the level of enjoyment and the degree to which they're motivated to vote is a great measure of quality. If fans feel that lesser-known anime are better than those that get more TV exposure, they can vote for them.

As others have already stated, do we really NEED a series of awards to let us know what titles are popular? Can't you just, well, look at practically any anime community to find out that people like Fullmetal Alchemist, Bleach, Naruto, One Piece, Dragon Ball Z, [insert shonen action/adventure here] more than the other stuff out there? The award categories are allegedly for what's "best," and most reasonable individuals--which is to say NOT the folks in charge of these awards--can quickly discern that "quality" and "popularity" do not necessarily go hand in hand. That is precisely why most AMV contests at anime conventions are judged by a panel of suitably qualified judges ("suitably qualified" being the make-it-or-break-it about this approach, since you don't want people in a position where they can judge say, their own stuff), with maybe only a few fan favorite categories if that. I also think this would be the best way for the winners to be decided.

Odd how they talked about fairness in voting and transparency, especially when you consider that there isn't really anything stopping me from voting multiple times. You don't need to provide any information about yourself when voting, so the site appears to just allow one vote per IP, which is easily circumvented. If Apocalypse Zero wins the awards that it so richly deserves, chances are it's because I went berserk and voted for it over and over.

Milton Griepp wrote:
In order to be eligible, the anime had to be available on TV, in theaters, or on DVD during that period . . . the nominators and voters will decide what's best from everything that was available last year.

The problem with this approach is well, the years to come. I'd wager that something pretty close to oh, say, 100% of the nominees for this year will still be available on DVD in 2007. And 2008, and 2009, and so on. I've noticed that a large amount of the fans of highly popular series are fans of just that series and nothing else, so it's conceivable that the same things will keep getting nominated/winning year after year, and that'd just be dumb. I think restricting it to things that were newly released for the year in question would be much smarter.

The reason Akira was listed as a comedy was because someone nominated it as such and nobody at ICv2 was capable of determining whether or not that was, in fact, accurate. I think that about sums this whole affair up.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Strephon

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 3:11 pm Reply with quote
Anime World Order wrote:
The reason Akira was listed as a comedy was because someone nominated it as such and nobody at ICv2 was capable of determining whether or not that was, in fact, accurate. I think that about sums this whole affair up.

More like "they didn't have a procedure for arbitrarily throwing out a nomination because they didn't agree with it." It's a slippery slope. Among the nominations for best actor/actress in a comedy, there are series that are unequivocably comedies and others that are borderline; should someone dump the nominations for Maison Ikkoku because it's not really a comedy, but a romance with both comedic and dramatic elements?

(And, if you actually look at the ballot, Akira wasn't nominated or listed as a comedy per se; Bosch was nominated in the "best actor" category with Akira as the first example of three. It looks like whoever then nominated him for "best actor in a comedy" carried over the listing and failed to change the example properly.)

Last edited by Strephon on Thu Jan 04, 2007 4:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 4:28 pm Reply with quote
Anime World Order wrote:

Can't you just, well, look at practically any anime community to find out that people like Fullmetal Alchemist, Bleach, Naruto, One Piece, Dragon Ball Z, [insert shonen action/adventure here] more than the other stuff out there?

I said it before and I'll say it again, ignorance and steriotype are both very bliss. I mean, mabye the reason why they are so popular is, well because, THEY ARE ALL VERY GOOD SERIES!! SHESH!!(well, mabye with the exception of DBZ, which is probably the one that gives series like these a bad name.)

Okay, so I exaggerated a little bit with Bleach and Naruto, but they are still in my top 10. And I do understand that either one of those two winning would be just like an X-men movie winning best picture, but anyone who has actually seen these series has to at least admit they are two very solid and well done shows. Besides, I only voted for Naruto and Bleach once. I voted for Fullmetal Alchemist for the best long series, but only because I really feal that it was the best on the list, and not because it was one of my favorites

Now, I do agree that I'd rather see Fullmetal Alchemist and what not win because it was good, and not because it was popular, but you have to admit that even if there were a pannel of judges, that Fullmetal would still at least contend very closely, and that Naruto and Bleach would at least contend very closely for other cattegories.

People just need to understand that just because something is shonen or popular doesn't mean that it is not very good or a great work of art. That would be the same steriotyping I keep saying is very bliss. It's just like how Lord of the Rings got snubbed two years in a row just because it was fantasy, or how Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon got snubbed just because it was a kung-fu flick.

And yes, there are a couple of those on that list that I have never seen unfortunatly, and I'm sure that they are very good and deserving. Thing is, so are Naruto, Bleach and Fullmetal. And i'm not saying that one is better or more deserving than the other, all I'm saying is that Naruto, Bleach and Fullmetal shouldn't get snubbed either just because they are either shonen or popular.
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 4:38 pm Reply with quote
They problem is, while Naruto and Bleach are GOOD, they're..well. Typical. I agree that they're good series, but when something really special comes along (Gankutsuou, Satoshi Kon's stuff, Princess Tutu), it has a tendancy to get ignored because...well...it's not Naruto and Bleach. While I like both Bleach and Naruto, there's far better series out there...it's not a sterotype, just an opinion.

That being said, FMA is one of my favorite series, and I agree it's VERY good. And I think it would deserve an award..it's just frusterating when other series I like that I think are on the same quality level are ignored simply because they weren't a hit Cartoon Network show.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
loplop

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 4:52 pm Reply with quote
Shouldn't have the awards been limited to releases from the past year? All this will become is a popularity contest between fanboys and fangirls for their all time favorite series . . . . Not to mention, many anime fans absolutely hate dubs, so where are the original Seiyuu categories . . . .
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3