• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
My-Hime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 4:37 pm Reply with quote
Ewww....

Yeah, I knew they switched Studios and that the issue was largely with Ocean. I knew there were some video problems, but not having watched the DVDs yet myself, I didn't know what they were.

I think there were also a good number of defective discs and other problems with the authoring. I recall hearing something about some discs automatically switching back to the dub track after each episode, and the timestamps not working properly.

@ Key: Are we going to get to see reviews for volume 6 or 7? I assume there won't be one for volume 5 at this point.
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
stuff

That is seriously bullsh*t. I saw those after images but was hoping that was just how it was. Didn't know the R2 looked better... It figures they'd mess up this series, which was probably my most anticipated release of 2006, and was one of the few I actually wanted really, really badly to be in high quality.(with the only other one I really cared about the video quality being Rumbling Hearts).

PantsGoblin about a year ago wrote:
I can't wait to have it on DVD and have high quality surround sound, cool menus, secure packaging, extras, a dub, etc.

So figures... Finished complaining now though.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 10:24 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
@ Key: Are we going to get to see reviews for volume 6 or 7? I assume there won't be one for volume 5 at this point.

Right now they aren't scheduled, but that doesn't mean one or both won't happen. There will definitely be one for volume 7, though, because I want to do a close-out review on the series.

As for the video problems: hunh. I haven't noticed anything like that, and I have a higher-quality TV.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
murph76

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 12:47 am Reply with quote
Key:

You're comments on the volume 6 make me want to continue the series. I've watched through volume 4, and Nagi's announcement spoiler[that the Hime would now battle each other] kind of turned me off. Not that I could see the twist coming, but in hindsight it seemed a bit hackneyed. spoiler[Oops, we're out of monsters this week, fight each other.]

Now, I haven't seen volume 5, so I'm sure there's some exposition in those episodes that I'm missing. But it had drained my desire to watch the rest. Maybe I'll pick it back up now.

-Murph
Exaar

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:23 am Reply with quote
You should. The part where the spoiler[HiME's fight each other] is by far the best segment of the show. In fact, I prefer to view everything up to that point as 'filler' mostly intended to throw the viewer off from the 'real' plot, which is only hinted at before episode 16 but becomes the focus after that. Smile

Also, all this talk of defective DVDs is making me want to watch mine through. I'd already seen it before it was released on DVD, so as I've been buying them I've just been sticking them on the shelf without watching them, intending to watch the whole thing through again once I got all the volumes. Now I'm wondering if I should have been watching them all along to watch out for defective discs.. Sad
Key

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 6:30 pm Reply with quote
murph76: As Exaar partly pointed out, the twist in episode 16 reflects the actual underlying plot that has been running since the beginning of the series, which becomes much more apparent in volumes 5 and 6. I was thrown by that at first, too, but if you look back at all the earlier content in the context of what Nagi says in that announcement then you'll see that everything has been setting up towards that since the beginning. (Remember how vehement Natsuki was as far back as episode 1 about keeping HiME from being gathered at Fuka? That was her worst fears realized.) Nagi was manipulating things in that direction all along, it now appears; in fact, spoiler[that was his job in service to the Obsidian Prince], a fact which gets revealed in volume 6. The things with Akari and Miyu, and later with the Searrs Foundation, weren't part of his plan but ultimately worked to his benefit.

And trust me, the way volume 5 plays out is strongly likely to reinvigorate your interest, as none of its plot developments feel forced. It's worth it if for no other reason than to see Mai get really truly mad for the first time. Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 1:03 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:

And trust me, the way volume 5 plays out is strongly likely to reinvigorate your interest, as none of its plot developments feel forced. It's worth it if for no other reason than to see Mai get really truly mad for the first time. Cool

YES! That part shocked and amazed me and then left me feeling horrible for the poor characters. Also, Nao becomes one of the cruelest bitches you'll see. She was always a bitch, but it was just like "yeah, whatever," but from vol 5 on, she is just straight up wicked and cruel.

One thing that I'm very interested in finding out is spoiler[ exactly how Miyu is going to play the crucial role that Mashiro says she will after her reactivation.]
Kruszer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 1:25 am Reply with quote
Indeed, thou shalt fear the wrath of Mai. That was a pretty powerful scene, sad but yet the visuals are so great. You also see what happens to Kagusuchi when she's rageing. Shocked
murph76

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 2:13 am Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
Indeed, thou shalt fear the wrath of Mai. That was a pretty powerful scene, sad but yet the visuals are so great. You also see what happens to Kagusuchi when she's rageing. Shocked

Now that piques my curiousity! Looks like I've got a series to continue. Thanks for the comments, everyone!

-Murph
EVA fiend

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:09 pm Reply with quote
Zork wrote:
This may be off-topic, but I am kind of disappointed with the quality of the dvds. *snip*

Urgh, are the quality of the DVD's really that bad? I import nearly all my anime as R1 releases, & I was going to import My-Hime once all the DVD's had been released. Your tale of numerous DVD problems has kinda put me off now, as if I have to send faulty DVD's back to the US, I'll lose any savings I would have made importing the series in the first place. Sad

PantsGoblin wrote:
That is seriously bullsh*t. I saw those after images but was hoping that was just how it was. Didn't know the R2 looked better *snip*

I read somewhere (cant remember precisely where) that Japanese R2 DVD's are superior in quality to the ones released around the rest of world, ostensibly to stop the Japanese from importing their DVD's cheaper from abroad.
I have about a dozen Japanese R2 DVD's of various anime shows, but I haven't really sat down & compared them to their US R1 or UK R2 counterparts. I may just do that sometime though, just to see if there is a noticeable difference.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:50 am Reply with quote
Well, although the DVDs aren't perfect, I wouldn't call them completely flawed either. They're certainly not at a Slayers/Utena level of badness. And considering the nature of the site I took the screenshots and description from, a little grain of salt is necessary. Besides, with the change in authoring houses from disc 5 onwards, there is improvement (checking animeondvd would probably yield more details), so it isn't all doom and gloom with these DVDs.
forever_young

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:12 pm Reply with quote
So, only some DVDs have the defects and others don’t. Problems we’ve been having must have to do with DVD replication.
It looks like it’s not the mastering but wherever Bandai did the mass replication.

I had no problems with volumes 1-4, but I had to return #5. It would stop playing in the middle of an episode and go back to the title menu. The replacement disc works fine.
Also, my Vol 6 had a problem with the menu operation.

If Bandai’s new DVD studio doesn’t have problems, the replicators do for sure.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:43 pm Reply with quote
I keep hearing that people have problems with Bandai discs, but I have only had problems with what I believe is the 4th disc on the Zeta box set which would stop on my Sony DVD player. This episode a did play flawlessly on my Pioneer and JVC, this was released before I had bought my OPPO so I have not tested it on the OPPO yet.

Bandai's, along with ADV's, video transfers tend to be almost as clear as the reigning Geneon DVDs. Some of their older DVDs like Geneshaft tend to have minor aliasing issues and older titles like Wing, and Escaflowne tend to lack contrast, although the lenient (at least for video and audio) AnimeonDVD gave both titles an "A" grade for video. My-Hime looks great, even when I zoom in to fill the screen, upscaled on my Sony SXRD 60 inch. It looks much cleaner than the newest rather disappointing batch of Funimation releases. The dark scenes in Baslisk are a mess, and the black transitions on the Trinity Blood DVDs have horizontal streaks.
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:15 am Reply with quote
I don't know, I've been collecting My-HiME since vol. 3 was released in the US and I have had absolutely no problems with the DVDs whatsoever. My DVD player tends to randomly pause every now and then, but it does that with EVERY DVD that I own, not just anime, so maybe I just got lucky, but personally I have had no problems with the US releases.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 3:01 am Reply with quote
Yeah, that's called a layer change. Some players handle it better than others. I haven't noticed anything major wrong with my discs.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6