• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Director Spike Lee Signs Onto Oldboy Film Remake

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AgumonKid

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:19 pm Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
Quote:
What I'm trying to say is no one should really complain about this movie because it's Live-action based which already makes it 50X better and how Hollywood is hiring there best work.

50x better than what?

Than Hollywood trying to make an adaption directly from an Anime or manga
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Hmmm. I'll believe it when I see it.
Ryo Hazuki

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:31 am Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:

Then how is Japan heavily editing American video game/cartoon any different from how US heavily edit anime/manga?

The Japanese editors/remakers rarely if ever distribute their edits/remakes as the only version available to the rest of the world (Supercop /Robotech anyone?). Many anime series shown on Finnish tv have been translated from the 4Kids versions, which seems to imply that some American companies buy international rights to the anime series.
Haterater

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:42 am Reply with quote
What mdo7 is trying to get at is that some extreme fans are being hypocrites. Its not about what version is available, but certain extreme fans think that its okay for Japan to remake an American film any way they see fit, but when America does it for a Japanese film, its bad/terrible/disgrace before it even begins production.
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:51 pm Reply with quote
Haterater wrote:
What mdo7 is trying to get at is that some extreme fans are being hypocrites. Its not about what version is available, but certain extreme fans think that its okay for Japan to remake an American film any way they see fit, but when America does it for a Japanese film, its bad/terrible/disgrace before it even begins production.

Exactly, thank you Haterater!!! That's what I'm trying to point out. A lot of people didn't paid attention to what's going on in Asian cinema. Japan, South Korea, China/HK has been remaking American films since 2008, and from looking at what's going on it may continue. When Asia start to remake American film, it was going the same way like how US went crazy over remaking Asian film, but after seeing what Asia has been doing (refer to timeline below this message), I see Asia is no different from US. A lot of American remakes of Asian film get a lot of flak and hate but yet the same group of people hasn't criticize or make complaint when Asia start to do the same thing (there's 1 or 2, but I expect the same amount of complaints should on the same level as America remaking Asian film). I was shocked that foreign film fans and people that bash American remake of Asian films kept quiet about this, and yes I have heard some praise the Asian remake, and sometime bash the original American film calling them crap and said the Asian remake is so much better. It's like those hater/basher want to keep continuing flaking American remaking Asian film and ignore the opposite. When I tried to show this to a group on Facebook so they can stop hating/bashing on American remake, the leader of the group deleted my post. It's like the haters/bashers want to cover this up, it like they don't want the American fans of Asian films to know that Asia is remaking American films probably because they'll stop complaining at Hollywood and their pro-Asian supremacy would lose it's momentum. Haterater, that's why I'm trying to spread the truth. To combat Asian supremacist, hypocrites, and people who promote Pro-Asian agenda. I wouldn't be surprised if Japan announce a remake of The Godfather and someone will probably say that the Japanese remake will be so much better and probably called the American version "crap" and "a stupid piece of s(bleep)". I do think there are Asian supremacists among us (ie: GATSU and Ryo Hazuki would be those people) and white people pretending to be Asian to make themselves look good, they really make us Asian (that include me) look bad by pulling these hypocrisy. You're right, how is Asia remaking American film any different from America remaking Asian film?

Ryo Hazuki wrote:
The Japanese editors/remakers rarely if ever distribute their edits/remakes as the only version available to the rest of the world (Supercop /Robotech anyone?). Many anime series shown on Finnish tv have been translated from the 4Kids versions, which seems to imply that some American companies buy international rights to the anime series.

FYI, sometime Asia cut scene from their own movie when they go other Asian countries. Do you know the HK film, Hard Boiled? Yeah there was some differences from the HK theatrical and the Taiwan version. Did you know the Japanese version of Kill Bill was a bit differentfrom the original US version/International version when it went to Japan. Also, when Seven Samurai went to US, Toho cut 50 minutes of the film, which they restored many years later. I don't think you don't understand what I'm trying to say or your English is not quite fluent when you read my passage. If Japan heavily edit your favorite cartoon (whether it's from US or Finland) to make it more appealing to their audience in Japan, would you complain?? If I was in your shoe, I would. If US edit anime/manga, I'll complain. If Japan edit American/western cartoon, or western video game, I'll also complain because I ain't a hypocrite, I don't know if you understand what I mean, if you don't, I recommend learning real English.

GATSU wrote:
I told you. Outside of those godawful unofficial Bollywood/Turkish rip-offs on Youtube, they got respect for the source material.

Really, I need proof to see that. Why don't you tell that to China when they decide to completely ripped off Team Fortress 2 ( I mean a complete rip-off as in using the announcer from TF2, using map from Battlefield: Heroes), is that being respectful to the original source. Also, Zhang Yimou loose remake of Blood Simple is not really being respectful to the original source.

Quote:
No one watches the film credits. My point is that they try to pass off the remake as their own movie.

And so will the Asian audience when they watch their remake of American film and not realize it's a remake of American film. I wouldn't be surprised if people in Japan watch the remake of Sideways and not realize it's a remake of the original American film.

Quote:
Yakuza 3 was a good localization, and what the Japanese end of SEGA wanted.

Go tell that to many US and European gamers when SEGA removed the hostess bar, and various minigames. I thought you didn't like it when US edit thing in anime/manga/game and now you're defending SEGA for doing edit on Yakuza 3. What a hypocrite you are!!! Mad

Quote:
But as for the Nazi thing, maybe they thought it'd be more appealing if it was modernized.

That is the most BS crap coming out of you I ever heard, I think you just lost credibility. Removing Nazi Swastika from the Japanese version of COD: Black Ops is just like 4kids reckless edit on anime. Seriously, you need a mind check and you probably don't know what hypocrisy is.

Oh and I've been waiting for you to say this.

Quote:
Zhang Yimou earned the right to do a different take on Blood Simple. I'm not sure about the the people who remade A Tale of Two Sisters into The Uninvited, however.

Yeah, now I can call you an Asian supremacist after that comment you made. How is Zhang Yimou turning his remake from gritty to downright gagball comedy any different from what The Uninvited got? How could you defend Zhang Yimou right to turn the Coen's brothers gritty thriller into a gagball comedy yet you didn't like what the producer did when adapting A Tale of Two Sisters into The Uninvited? You better have a good, non-BS illogical explanation in order for me to believe you. So I guess you don't have a favorite American film, do you? If you do have a favorite American film, what would happen if Japan/Korea/HK or China decide to remake that film? Are you going to say the remake from Asia was much better and defend it from people that criticize that remake and say the original American one was udder crap? GATSU, you dissapoint me, your comment was just full of BS as soon as I read them.

Oh and I like to give a timeline on the Asia remaking American film for any of you wanting to know how many American film got remade in Asia:

2008: China/HK remake Cellular into Connected. Link, it was the first time China has ever remake an American film, and this was the start of the "Asian remaking American film" wave

2008: Korea remake Phone Booth into Cell Phone. link. This was the first time Korea remake an American film.

2009: Zhang Yimou remake Blood Simple into A Simple Noodle Story for China.

2009: Japan remake Sideways. This is the first time Japan remake an American film.

2010: China remake What Women Want. link

2010: China remake High School Musical. link

2010: Japan remake the classic French film, Elevators to the Gallows. link

2010: Japan did a semi-sequel, semi-remake of Paranormal Activity, Paranormal Activity: Tokyo Night. This is probably the first time Japan remake an American horror film. link

2010: Japan and Korea remake Ghost. link

Upcoming remakes: Japan is going to remake An Affair to Remember and Working Girl, and South Korea is currently remaking Breakfast at Tiffany's.

How many Asian remake of American film/European film do you want to see until you'll start complaning on the same level as US remaking Asian films? Seriously, do you want Japan to remake The Godfather, Japan/Korea to remake Twilight, or Hong Kong to remake Heat in order for you to give Asia the same criticism/complaint like you did to Hollywood when they remake Asian film. I don't mind film remake, as long as Asia and Hollywood remaking each other film, then it's fair game to me and the balance scale of film remake are in equilibrium, then I'm OK with it. Geez, there are people that are very silent and won't speak up about Asia remaking American film. I want to prevent and also cracking down on hypocrite/Asian supremacists/anyone that promote pro-Asian/anti-American agenda.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ryo Hazuki

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:49 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:

Ryo Hazuki would be those people) and white people pretending to be Asian to make themselves look good, they really make us Asian (that include me)

Why me? I haven't said anything about Japanese remakes being necessary better, just less annoying because they get less undeserved praise and media attention (The Departed, The Ring).

When a movie is censored, it's not always about the foreign distributor wanting more money but sometimes movies beyond some ratings can be simply illegal in some countries. In those cases there's little the distributor can do but simply not release it or cut it.

The Kill Bill example should get to Guinness World Records as the worst example, because in that case it was the director who wanted the Japanese version to be different.

I'm not hypocrite but simply selfish for not caring if some faraway island nation decides to edit some cartoons I've never heard of. I don't really have any energy to complain about what changes Fox Kids made when it edited Digimon Adventure either, because other than Digimon The Movie, both the first and second series were directly translated from Japan when shown on Finnish tv.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:23 am Reply with quote
Haterater wrote:

It is terribly hard to take issue with infodumps that just state Asia is remaking x Hollywood flick. The issue is that more American people have seen bad Hollywood remakes than have seen Asian remakes at all. With that said I don't see a significant number of people basically giving Asian filmakers a free pass for remakes, at least not the way mdo7 is wording it.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:02 am Reply with quote
mdo:
Quote:
Really, I need proof to see that. Why don't you tell that to China when they decide to completely ripped off Team Fortress 2 ( I mean a complete rip-off as in using the announcer from TF2, using map from Battlefield: Heroes), is that being respectful to the original source.

FPSes all look alike to me. Rolling Eyes But, anyway, I'm gonna bet it's not even an authorized release.

Quote:
Also, Zhang Yimou loose remake of Blood Simple is not really being respectful to the original source.

It's supposed to be a different take on the same material. You know, like Ran.

Quote:
And so will the Asian audience when they watch their remake of American film and not realize it's a remake of American film.

No, because their marketing people actually let audiences know it's a remake.

Quote:
I wouldn't be surprised if people in Japan watch the remake of Sideways and not realize it's a remake of the original American film.

Considering they're less than ten years apart, doubtful.

Quote:
Go tell that to many US and European gamers when SEGA removed the hostess bar, and various minigames. I thought you didn't like it when US edit thing in anime/manga/game and now you're defending SEGA for doing edit on Yakuza 3. What a hypocrite you are!!!

I didn't like it, but I play the games for the main story, which was unedited. And besides, SEGA felt it had to bring out the game when people were more likely to be in brick-and-mortar stores to see it, and buy it, which is when FFXIII came out. So they cut corners to make the money they wouldn't have if they had released it later. And this benefits fans who want to see the remainder of the games get a U.S. release, since now there's an actual audience to justify localizing the latter games. That's a worthwhile trade-off to me. Would I prefer getting everything the Japanese got? Yes, but if it's only for a mediocre sequel which doesn't do anything to extend the story like part 4, and the latter gets canceled, then I lose out more.

Quote:
Removing Nazi Swastika from the Japanese version of COD: Black Ops is just like 4kids reckless edit on anime.

Uh, no it's not. For one thing, it's only one part of the game, as opposed to rewriting the entire friggin' show. For another, they're not changing the music or misrepresenting the content of the game like 4kids did with the anime.

Quote:
How is Zhang Yimou turning his remake from gritty to downright gagball comedy any different from what The Uninvited got?

Yes, because the Coens have never done gagball comedy before. Rolling Eyes And The Uninvited just seemed like a PG-13 Ring cash-in of the original film with teen angst filling in for the horror elements. At least Yimou was actually trying to a different movie. The Uninvited, OTOH, just seemed like another generic Hollywood hybrid which only used the A Tale of Two Sisters remake angle as a hook to sucker fans of the original film into seeing it.

Quote:
So I guess you don't have a favorite American film, do you? If you do have a favorite American film, what would happen if Japan/Korea/HK or China decide to remake that film?

If they can find their equivalent of a Black Dynamite, I'd give it a whirl. Cool

Quote:
Japan remake the classic French film, Elevators to the Gallows.

Yes, and John Woo remade Le Samourai. What's your point?

Quote:
How many Asian remake of American film/European film do you want to see until you'll start complaning on the same level as US remaking Asian films?

Well, when they're announced as often as the reverse situation, then I guess I'll complain.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Ryo Hazuki wrote:
mdo7 wrote:

Ryo Hazuki would be those people) and white people pretending to be Asian to make themselves look good, they really make us Asian (that include me)

Why me? I haven't said anything about Japanese remakes being necessary better, just less annoying because they get less undeserved praise and media attention (The Departed, The Ring).

When a movie is censored, it's not always about the foreign distributor wanting more money but sometimes movies beyond some ratings can be simply illegal in some countries. In those cases there's little the distributor can do but simply not release it or cut it.

The Kill Bill example should get to Guinness World Records as the worst example, because in that case it was the director who wanted the Japanese version to be different.

I'm not hypocrite but simply selfish for not caring if some faraway island nation decides to edit some cartoons I've never heard of. I don't really have any energy to complain about what changes Fox Kids made when it edited Digimon Adventure either, because other than Digimon The Movie, both the first and second series were directly translated from Japan when shown on Finnish tv.

Actually, some of the Asian remakes has gotten some good attention on the media in US and western world. I believe Newsweek and NPR and Guardian in the UK raise awareness on that. Well I can understand why Finland's film distributor couldn't get the uncensored version of films you want. Also why don't you just import the movie from US, if you don't have the right DVD player, get one that can play multiple region (ie: a DVD player that can play Region 1 and Region 2).

GATSU wrote:
But, anyway, I'm gonna bet it's not even an authorized release.

uh yes it is. Because China doesnt have an IP law like most country so they're free to copy off device that look similar to one that we have.

Quote:
It's supposed to be a different take on the same material. You know, like Ran.

Then how is it any different from what US does when adapting Asian movie into their remakes.

Quote:
No, because their marketing people actually let audiences know it's a remake.

How do you know that, do you live in Japan, do you have proof?? Also, a lot of US audience are aware that The Departed was a remake of Infernal Affairs. I think many people who watch the Ring would already know it was based on the Japanese film because they did some research. Also when I watch the trailer for The Lake House, the credit actually acknowledge the original Korean film. I like to add that the Newsweek article mention about Sideways remake:

Newsweek wrote:
While the original film grossed around $960,000 in Japan, according to BoxOfficeMojo.com, the Japanese remake—featuring two Japanese pals in Napa—raked in $1.5 million.

Quote:
Considering they're less than ten years apart, doubtful.

How do you know that? Look, all I care is that Asia remaking American film, that's a good thing for me and maybe for a few Asian film fans.

Quote:
Uh, no it's not. For one thing, it's only one part of the game, as opposed to rewriting the entire friggin' show. For another, they're not changing the music or misrepresenting the content of the game like 4kids did with the anime

So it's OK for Nazi Swastika to be remove from COD: Black Ops for the Japanese version. But yet, when a single edit happen on a anime/manga or Japanese video game, we all erupt like crazy because of US editing on foreign stuff and let's ignore what Japan does to American stuff. Yep, Asian supremacy is at it's best.

Quote:
And The Uninvited just seemed like a PG-13 Ring cash-in of the original film with teen angst filling in for the horror elements. At least Yimou was actually trying to a different movie. The Uninvited, OTOH, just seemed like another generic Hollywood hybrid which only used the A Tale of Two Sisters remake angle as a hook to sucker fans of the original film into seeing it.

OK, remakes can be good or bad. Actually, even though Zhang Yimou's remake of Blood Simple was financially successful, it got mixed to negative review.

Quote:
Yes, and John Woo remade Le Samourai. What's your point?

What's my point? That comment of your just make me laugh. My point is that you're acting like an Asian supremacist. You criticize/complaint about how America remake Asian film, but yet you defend what Asia does. That's what I'm trying to point, you're not being fair and reasonable, you're a hypocrite that's all I have to say. How could you let US not have the right to remake Asian film, but Asia is allowed to remake American film?

Quote:
If they can find their equivalent of a Black Dynamite, I'd give it a whirl.

Well after seeing some ridiculous film coming out of Japan like Alien vs Ninja, maybe they're crazy enough to actually do a remake of Black Dynamite, anything's possible for Japan.

Quote:
Well, when they're announced as often as the reverse situation, then I guess I'll complain.

You didn't look at the timeline did you, 2008-2010, Asia has been putting remake of American film more then any other year. Asia is following what America did after The Ring's remake popularity. Asia has been remaking American film like on the same level like what we did for the Asian film remake. There's already three films that are getting Asian remake and will come out this year or the next 2 years, is that enough for you, or does Asia get an exempt because they're Asia, the master race to you?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4