• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Maiden Japan, Section 23 Add Ray Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:17 am Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
Zalis116 wrote:
RAY at least has the advantage of being 16:9, so it won't look too old on newer displays. I do have to wonder if we're ever going to see any more non-rescue 4:3 licenses though, even in "ultra-budget sub-only collection" formats.

At AX David Williams said that Sentai will probably still license older animes, as in titles from the 90s and such, every now and then, so I doubt that 4:3 anime licenses are dead. Having black bars on the sides of the video really aren't that bad...

Plus, some of my most-wanted anime licenses are 4:3 anime from the first half of the 2000s, so I sure as hell still want to see 4:3 anime getting licensed.

I concur. Most of my top license wants by Section23 are from the mid and late 2000s. In fact two of my biggest subs "Akihori Gendou Hour Rabuge" and "Sumomomo Momomo" are both from 2005. But hell, I even have some really old titles the Wonderful TBS mini special series' from early 1999 "Cool Couple" and "Let's Nupu Nupu" that I would like to see licensed by Section23.

Also, could you do me a favor and license rescue some old CPM stuff like "Maze TV", "Shadow Star Narutaru", "Project Ako" and "Roujin Z"?
NJ_

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:44 am Reply with quote
GrilledEelHamatsu wrote:
Also, could you do me a favor and license rescue some old CPM stuff like "Maze TV", "Shadow Star Narutaru", "Project Ako" and "Roujin Z"?

That's what Discotek is for.

http://www.rightstuf.com/i/es021

Now all they need to get are the OVAs.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:09 pm Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
Daimao Raki wrote:
Fronzel wrote:
A five year-old series? I thought anime licensing companies were shamelessly recentalist these days.

Well, it's good that shows don't get forgotten just because they're a few years old.
It's a shame people forget about stuff that really isn't that old.
Just another example of why the fandom has turned into a joke a recent years.
Let's be honest about this specific series, though: judging by download numbers and user numbers at various listing sites, RAY was never very popular or widely seen. The ratings aren't terribly good, either. So it's not surprising that it wouldn't be widely known five years later.

Lord Geo wrote:
At AX David Williams said that Sentai will probably still license older anime, as in titles from the 90s and such, every now and then, so I doubt that 4:3 anime licenses are dead. Having black bars on the sides of the video really aren't that bad...
That's good to hear, although there are certain titles I hope they stay away from, for certain reasons Embarassed Though in my case, 4:3 "full screen" actually means full screen Cool

GrilledEelHamatsu wrote:
In fact two of my biggest subs "Akihori Gendou Hour Rabuge" and "Sumomomo Momomo" are both from 2005. But hell, I even have some really old titles the Wonderful TBS mini special series' from early 1999 "Cool Couple" and "Let's Nupu Nupu" that I would like to see licensed by Section23.

Sumomo was 2006-07, but yeah, there are still some nice gems from those years. And if Sentai does get Maze, hopefully they can get the actual Japanese VHS/LD version and not the censored broadcast version like CPM had. Getting the untranslated special and movie would be even better, if unlikely.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:16 pm Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
Daimao Raki wrote:
Fronzel wrote:
A five year-old series? I thought anime licensing companies were shamelessly recentalist these days.

Well, it's good that shows don't get forgotten just because they're a few years old.
It's a shame people forget about stuff that really isn't that old.
Just another example of why the fandom has turned into a joke a recent years.

To be honest, it's quite easy to forget the existence of some shows when you have ~15-20 new titles every single season, and a good number of these shows are only 1-cour. From 2005 on, there's hundreds upon hundreds of titles no one cares about or barely remember.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Okay. This was actually on my extremely tentative "may watch some time" list.

I'm also just glad to see them continuing to pick up relatively older unlicensed series from that 2006-2008 period. Maybe there's hope for some of the forgotten gems from that period yet.
Jozoiscute

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:32 pm Reply with quote
This is nifty!
Anime hyper
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:52 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
GrilledEelHamatsu wrote:
In fact two of my biggest subs "Akihori Gendou Hour Rabuge" and "Sumomomo Momomo" are both from 2005. But hell, I even have some really old titles the Wonderful TBS mini special series' from early 1999 "Cool Couple" and "Let's Nupu Nupu" that I would like to see licensed by Section23.

Sumomo was 2006-07, but yeah, there are still some nice gems from those years. And if Sentai does get Maze, hopefully they can get the actual Japanese VHS/LD version and not the censored broadcast version like CPM had. Getting the untranslated special and movie would be even better, if unlikely.

Looking at my own personal list, I come up with these shows and years:
Ring ni Kakero 1 (2004 [First Season])
Akagi (2005-2006)
One Outs (2008-2009)
Kaiji (2007-2008 [First Season])
Souten no Ken (2006-2007)
GaoGaiGar FINAL (2000-2003)
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas (2009-2010 [First Season])
Inazuma Eleven (2008-2011 [Original Show])
Kamen no Maid Guy (2008)
Shin Getter Robo vs. Neo Getter Robo (2000-2001)

So, yeah, half of my list are shows that debuted at least 5 years ago, but only three of them were actually done in 4:3 (Akagi, GaoGaiGar FINAL, and Ring ni Kakero 1 [though this show went 16:9 last year with Season 3]), though that's mainly because Shin Getter vs. Neo Getter was actually made in widescreen.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Finny-chan wrote:
What exactly is Maiden Japan? Is it a new licensing company? :

Maiden Japan is the animation division of Switchblade Pictures, which appears to be run by Matt Greenfield. It's sort of interesting because Switchblade hasn't released anything of their own in over a year now and a lot of the titles they did release appear to be out of print now.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:56 am Reply with quote
Sounds like an interesting premise, if nothing else. But hey, if Section23 is in the mood to pick up overlooked titles from the past five years, I have a great little wishlist for them. Kaiba, Dennou Coil, Michiko to Hatchin...pretty please?
fireaxe

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:57 am Reply with quote
Kimiko_0 wrote:
Hmm. It's nice to see older anime getting a chance too, but unfortunately, I found Ray not so great.
If they're looking for lesser known, short anime, why not go for Ryoko's Case Files, or Binbou Shimai Monogatari? Those were both better than Ray.

Oh how I would looove to see Ryoko's Case Files getting licenced.... It's such an underrated show, seems like it totally slipped under the radar when it came out.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2