• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - ACROSS the Universe

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheRoyalFamily

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:29 pm Reply with quote
Excel Saga was already my favorite manga ever before I watched the show (and still is), so I think it is understandable that I think the anime was somewhat of a disappointment (not a small part of which is the fact that Hillary Haag was not Excel Razz ). I have found that I don't really like Nabeshin's stuff in general, so had I known that before I wouldn't have had my expectations so high.
Great Rumbler

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:37 pm Reply with quote
Excel Saga was one of the first "adult" animes that I watched, I had to have my brother buy a few volumes of it back in the day! Although I don't think they actually would have carded me for it. So, it'll always hold a special place for me.

I've actually been watching some of it recently and I still enjoyed it after years of not watching it [back when it was new, I probably watched some of the episodes 5-6 times].
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:41 pm Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:
I agree with Shelf Life on Ga-Rei, though I think the column was too soft on it. The "action" in the first episode was ridiculous. Carving magic runes into the treads of motorcycle tires and doing a burn out to transfer the rubber (and symbols) to the road to form a "magic circle"?! [...] Converting all the water in a water main into "holy water" by sticking a fancy fluorescent lightbulb into the water and running a current through it?

That's too funny, my husband thought both of those things were cool. He kind of has reverse taste to that of the general public, though. I also thought the motorcycle thing was clever, although I'm glad that pair weren't the protagonists.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:06 pm Reply with quote
Ga-Rei Zero struck me as the sort of thing that is good enough that I'd be happy to watch it if a very convenient, which is say cheap as free or nearly so, chance came, but not enough to go to any trouble or expense for. It's a realm just north of mediocre where I series really has to hit one of my buttons to make me interested.

Zalis116 wrote:
@Surrender Artist: Mike Kleinhenz, not David.

Damn it! Damn it! Damn it! You know, just before I posted that, I thought, "I should check his name in the Encyclopedia just to be sure." Hmph. Guess what I didn't do?

I also neglected to mention that although I really like Excel Saga, I would be leery of recommending it or lending it to somebody simply because I know that it can be a bit hard to take for the more sensible or uninitiated.

Zalis116 wrote:
And from what I heard from ADR director Matt Greenfield at a con a few years ago, Jessica Calvello didn't actually injure her vocal cords. Calvello had already relocated to New York at the time, and had been flying down to Houston to work on Excel Saga. She got checked out by a doctor, and found that she was at risk of injuring her vocal cords if she continued on with the role. Since she was auditioning for a Broadway musical, the decision was made to replace her, in order to spare her voice from further/potential damage. So the "behind the scenes" story isn't quite as unfortunate as people would think.

That's a more interesting and complicated story than the one that I've usually heard. It strikes me as plausible, so I'm surprised that I've not heard it before. Probably because it lacks the straightforward punch of her just injuring her vocal cords

Last edited by Surrender Artist on Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kohii

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:06 pm Reply with quote
One-Eye wrote:
erinfinnegan wrote:
It's a sequel or prequel to a game or something, right? I got more bang for my buck from Canaan (another game tie-in-transmedia title), but Ga-Rei-Zero was a lot more consistent throughout.

Its a prequel to a manga which is ok at first (I'd say the anime is better), but as it goes on it just keeps getting weaker and weaker. I think if someone really likes this show they will probably be disappointed by the manga.

I kinda like Ga-Rei Zero and I would say its roughly on the same level as Canaan and Corpse Princess. They each have their weaknesses, but I think they also all have some good moments. They are not masterpieces, but they are still good shows that should satisfy anyone looking for an Action Girl fix. I liked the opening set-up of Ga-Rei and I especially liked when spoiler[butterfly boy was basically tempting Yomi in the hospital and that she succumbed to it.]

I'm planning to rewatch this over the weekend. I originally saw Ga-Rei on Hulu (?) a while back and just got in the mail today the Limited Edition from RightStuf. Anybody else got it or the regular one, cause I'm kind of wondering what's so limited about it.

Hate to break it to ya, but you could get the regular edition for roughly $25 on Amazon. The regular edition's list price is only $5 less than the LE (65 vs 60). Both come in BD/DVD combos (which I'm really liking, FUNi, it's really neat). The only difference is the chipboard box in which the LE comes.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:40 am Reply with quote
Kohii wrote:
One-Eye wrote:

I'm planning to rewatch this over the weekend. I originally saw Ga-Rei on Hulu (?) a while back and just got in the mail today the Limited Edition from RightStuf. Anybody else got it or the regular one, cause I'm kind of wondering what's so limited about it.

Hate to break it to ya, but you could get the regular edition for roughly $25 on Amazon. The regular edition's list price is only $5 less than the LE (65 vs 60). Both come in BD/DVD combos (which I'm really liking, FUNi, it's really neat). The only difference is the chipboard box in which the LE comes.

Yea, they've just lowered it. Well, that's just how it goes sometimes you get a good deal, sometimes an ok deal and other times a bad deal. I picked up my LE for $38 its now back up to $48 at RightStuf and Amazon for $45 so I don't feel too bad. I noticed they've also got a few other things they dropped price to around that $25 price point like Corpse Princess (which had been around $40-45 for quite some time).

I suspected that the only difference was the box, but I was hopping there might be a little more. I guess the regular edition has that card stock slip case going on? I really hate those, they are very flimsy. My Birdy The Mighty dvds came with some seriously thin card stock. Every time I pull out the dvds it feels like its going to tear. But sometimes you got no choice with that as everyone is trying to cut costs and raise profits.

I'm also really liking the BD/DVD combos, that gimmick definitely works on me. Laughing
mer2329

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:02 am Reply with quote
it is definately not for somone just getting into anime
i like to think of it as a more random (and extreme) verson of pani pony dash

also did you read (yes i said read) the closing credits
it has things that dont belong like episode 26 - going to far has a catagory called fun things to make with paper
(for those who dont want to read the credits for each episode i have a 13 page document typed out with it all
heres a google docs link (not so nice looking)
and a direct link to a microsoft word open xml version (the new format) (nice looking)

but all in all excel saga is one of my top 2 favorite anime
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:38 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
So... why not listen to Kotono Mitsuishi, then? But I concur that the series has become dated, considering that much of its parody material is 90s-specific. In fact, I think of Excel Saga as the transitional piece marking the end of 90s anime. In addition to skewering various works and cliches of the decade, it was one of the first to sport the 2000s "glossy digital" look, and aired in the Fall 1999 season, thus crossing into 2000. There's a big visual difference between ES and its contemporaries, such as Eden's Bowy, which finished its run just as ES started up.

I forgot where I read it, but some film historian noted that parodies tend to appear towards the end of a genre or movement.

As I gave it some thought, I realized he was right. Well, regarding successful and famous parodies, at least. Spaceballs showed up towards the tail end of the science fiction craze that Star Wars started, Clayfighter was released around when fighting games were slipping out of the mainstream, and Dadaism popped up during the last few moments that fine art would be taken seriously by art connoisseurs. (Then again, we're seeing tons of Twilight parodies, and the vampire craze seems far from over.)

I've never seen Excel Saga myself, but I've always thought of it as that most famous of self-parodying anime (and manga). If what you say is true and this anime came out during a transition period, then I'll add that to my list of parodies I've observed showed up to finish off a trend.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:15 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
So... why not listen to Kotono Mitsuishi, then? But I concur that the series has become dated, considering that much of its parody material is 90s-specific. In fact, I think of Excel Saga as the transitional piece marking the end of 90s anime. In addition to skewering various works and cliches of the decade, it was one of the first to sport the 2000s "glossy digital" look, and aired in the Fall 1999 season, thus crossing into 2000. There's a big visual difference between ES and its contemporaries, such as Eden's Bowy, which finished its run just as ES started up.

And from what I heard from ADR director Matt Greenfield at a con a few years ago, Jessica Calvello didn't actually injure her vocal cords. Calvello had already relocated to New York at the time, and had been flying down to Houston to work on Excel Saga. She got checked out by a doctor, and found that she was at risk of injuring her vocal cords if she continued on with the role. Since she was auditioning for a Broadway musical, the decision was made to replace her, in order to spare her voice from further/potential damage. So the "behind the scenes" story isn't quite as unfortunate as people would think.

Thank you.
As someone who had a small amount of vocal training, I know my singing teacher commented done properly, one could scream all night long & not damage one's voice as rock singers were known to do (This would have been summer 1969) so I know there has to be a way to perform a character like Excel without killing the voice (particularly since Kotono Mitsuishi didn't seem to slow down one little bit when she did Excel). I also found it interesting she started showing up in New York anime dubs about that time so I assumed the whole thing had been an excuse for her to go to New York. ADV released singles on a bi-monthly schedule back then, but some titles, I assumed demand based, shortened to more like 5-6 weeks & Excel was one of those that was sped up. (I bought this one as singles. Same for Saiyuki & GetBackers).
Fans are a pretty loyal lot & many sided with Calvello against Woolcott, but I more disrespected Calvello for not finishing her committment. (Granted, that doesn't change my opinion of her work, just her as a person) There was the Japanese side anyway & this is the title that made Takehito Koyasu my fav VA. Not only him, but we had Ryotaro Okiayu, Shotaro Morikubo, & Omi Minami. These same fans also STILL(like last year at CCI) rail against the VA cast change on Saiyuki when, again, they could always listen to the original Japanese cast & it was plainly stated in Requiem's commentaries they would have had to re-cast Sanzo if ADV had landed Reload as Matranga had moved to New York. (Geneon actually went with a closer match to the original Japanese cast. And their plastic pencilboards were cooler than the paper ones ADV gave us. Geneon had cooler extras in most instances)
So it's all really silly. If an actor chooses not to return to a role, we should hate the replacement? Crispin Freeman discussed this (CPM lost the original Zelgadis VA so Freeman landed the role when the character returned & he commented on the hate mail he received)

I LOVE Excel Saga. The manga was licensed after the anime in the US. The author, from my understanding is just one of those really slow creators who doesn't stay on a chapter-a-month sort of schedule which is why the story has taken as long as it has to finish. The anime is more os a satire than the manga (which is more obscure fanboy ref stuff. One can read it for the story, but reading the footnotes, it seems there is a higher level of enjoyment to be had from recognising the obscure refs which I can relate to as a fangirl of sci-fi/fantasy of American titles for most of my life. Really, it's something I grew up with on '60's tv where shows like Flintstones or Lucy commented on current events/shows/celebrities regularly).

Everyone who borrowed it from my daughter loved it so I can't see the hate, but it came to a head when FLCL came out & suddenly anime fans seemed to divide into those who loved FLCL & hated Excel or those who loved Excel & had no use for FLCL (I laughed twice watching the 6 FLCL eps.) It was dumb fans felt they had to divide like that (I recall in Newtype USA the head of Adult Swim (Cartoon Network?) called Excel "headache-inducing" & that it would never be on CN, but then, ADV wasn't getting stuff on CN at that time. All it said to me was the guy had to be mentally slow that he couldn't keep up with the jokes in Excel. Too much marijuana?)

So are the easter eggs included? There were cans of menchi soup & stuff like that. I really liked notes so tough they aren't there because they are a major addition to the enjoyment.
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:16 pm Reply with quote
one correction about heroes in once piece never dying: at least one died, though he was only brought to the plot to be killed and never had any role in the main protagonist adventures... (this differs one piece, for example, from naruto...)
Xanas

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:00 pm Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
bad taste, Ga-Rei Zero is great.

I agree.
bravetailor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:53 pm Reply with quote
nechronius wrote:
[Voices was his best work. Sadly the rest of his efforts feel like unkept promises. And that makes me a sad panda.

Remember a few decades ago when Miyazaki grumbled that many young Japanese animators rarely ever venture out of Japan and had very few life experiences to share with others?

That's Shinkai. He has one story to tell and that's it. He's an impressive craftsman though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3