• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Poll: Favorite Anime Directors Part 2

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:50 am Reply with quote
akitainu wrote:

But, these are the best spells that I can recalled as conjured...at least here and tonight.

I am pretty new to Daichi, but so far I've really enjoyed his series. One that tends to be overlooked is Nurse Angel Ririka SOS, which I really hope gets licensed (things don't look good for older magical girl series, though Sad ).
Afax

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:52 am Reply with quote
Goro Taniguchi without a doubt. Planetes solidifies him in that position.

From how he managed the cast in Infinite Ryvius and kept the tension, the practically perfect Planetes with it's phenomenal space sequences and character interaction, genuinly relevant political material and excellent introspection into the characters it's just an amazing show all around.

Scryed was created to be an all out fight with determined characters that never gave up their true selves, it delivered on everything it promised. Also the way he uses music in his shows is almost second to none. Gun x Sword is his weakest show but again he managed a great cast and did as good as he could with a weak script. So far Code Geass seems to be pretty much by the book but is just irreproachable on almost all fronts.
barbapapa

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:30 am Reply with quote
I had a hard time deciding between Masayuki Kojima, a man extremely capable in adapting manga to anime. And Osamu Kobayashi, a man with such a unique style AND also extremely capable of using his creativity to adapt manga to anime.
In the end I went for Kobayashi, as he made me love Beck and Paradise Kiss so much more than the manga. Where Kojima made me love his anime adaptations about equally as much as their manga; which is also quite impressive nonetheless.
mufurc

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:35 am Reply with quote
Could we please have a poll where one can list one's favorite directors? It's just too difficult to choose between Taniguchi, Akane, Maeda and Shinichiro Watanabe... Not to mention Kunihiko Ikuhara, Hiroshi Nagahama and Takuya Igarashi, who deserve a prize for Utena, Mushishi and Ouran Host Club, respectively.

By the way, how about a favorite anime writer poll? Though that should also allow multiple choices, otherwise I'd be torn between Yoji Enokido and Yosuke Kuroda.
BleuVII

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:53 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I would have voted entirely different for a "writer" poll rather than a "director" poll. For example, FMA has great writing, but not that great of direction. There are no really unique camera angles in the show, and some of the music tends to be overused at times. Now, before I get flamed for saying this, keep in mind that I am just using this as an example.

For THIS one, I voted Shinchiro Watanabe, because of the Cowboy Bebop Movie and ESPECIALLY Samurai Champloo. Now, neither of these are my favorite anime, or anything like that, but the direction in them is amazing. I was absolutely enthralled by the fact that the transitions in Samurai Champloo episode 1 were done with a vinal scratch track. How cool is that? Plus, the integration of the music into the action scenes for both shows was brilliant.

For writing, I would have voted for another series, but when it comes to direction, Watanabe is popular for a reason.
Iritscen

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:28 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
He's probably a better director than writer - some of his character interactions and dialogue can be akward and unnerving - but this is a poll about directing, and Tomino is a truly great, truly prolific director.

Interesting. I would have voted for Tomino out of admiration for his Gundam tales, but I felt that he was a better writer than director -- for the same reason you gave! I think of writing as planning the story more than writing dialogue, and awkward character interactions are to me a sign of poor directing more than writing. But looking at things your way, I would agree that he deserves the vote.

I voted for Kon because Paranoia Agent was so delightfully creepy and unpredictable and a lot of that was owing to his direction. I really should watch something else he's done.

Whearn999 wrote:
I am definitely looking forward to [Shinkai's] next work: Speed of 5 Centimeters Per Second

So that's how you translate it.
scortia

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:42 am Reply with quote
Tough one between Junichi Sato, Satoshi Kon, and Kunihiko Ikuhara... but, in the end, no series has ever or will ever reveal the layers that Utena has... a series that I can analy ze almost 10 years later and still discover a small bit of symbolism or importance in a glance that I never noticed before. So it's Ikuhara all the way, but I wish he'd get himself in gear and work on something new beyond novels and manga..
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:48 pm Reply with quote
mufurc wrote:

By the way, how about a favorite anime writer poll? Though that should also allow multiple choices, otherwise I'd be torn between Yoji Enokido and Yosuke Kuroda.

Ah, yes, writers. I like those two, as well as Chiaki Konaka, Reiko Yoshida, Mamiko Ikeda, and Michiko Yokote. Would be a hard decision.
Meccanica

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:51 pm Reply with quote
I voted for Kazuya Tsurumaki (of FLCL)- not that he's the best, by far, but somebody has to vote for him.

I would have voted for Suzumiya Haruhi, but this is for favorite director, not favorite Ultra Director.
varmintx

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:17 pm Reply with quote
I voted for Anno in the last poll, but that was before I watched Millennium Actress. However, it seems a lot of people who have watched this movie and Utena are voting for Kunihiko Ikuhara. I'm currently in the middle of this series, so maybe by the time Favorite Anime Directors Part 3 comes around, I'll have changed my vote again.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:19 pm Reply with quote
varmintx wrote:
I voted for Anno in the last poll, but that was before I watched Millennium Actress. However, it seems a lot of people who have watched this movie and Utena are voting for Kunihiko Ikuhara. I'm currently in the middle of this series, so maybe by the time Favorite Anime Directors Part 3 comes around, I'll have changed my vote again.

If we do part 3 (I'm considering it), it will feature an even shorter list (basically the top x directors from this poll).

-t
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:31 pm Reply with quote
I can't believe that Makoto Shinkai is being both Oshii and Tomino. Granted Oshii only a few votes behind Shinkai, I can't believe that he is that high on this list with only two movies. I really liked Voices of a Distant Star but Place Promised in our early days really changed my opinion about his potential. It really comes down to how 5 centimeters per a second turns out.

Anyways I voted Satoshi Kon, Paranoia Agent was amazing little TV series, Perfect Blue is still one of the best thrillers I have ever seen, and even Paprika was interesting enough that this wasn't really even a decision for me.
Ialdaboth

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 3:05 pm Reply with quote
The choice is much, MUCH more harder this time, but still no Shinbo.
Systematic

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 4:04 pm Reply with quote
Shinichiro Watanabe, just a very deep and efficient director.

Music captivates and anime's theme always remains fluent.
Rakushun

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 4:15 pm Reply with quote
Where's the love for the other half of Ghibli, Isao Takahata?

Ah, well. I didn't vote for him either. Kon Satoshi gets my vote, especially after Tokyo Godfathers and Paprika.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3