• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Poll: Favorite Anime Directors Part 2

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hanachan01

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 4:35 pm Reply with quote
I voted Anno. No anime has moved me as muc has Eva. I could relate to it, and it made me realize both the good and bad in myself.

Kazuya Tsurumaki only has seven votes? He's another favorite of mine-I loved FLCL, and a lot of that is due to his direction. I also really love the director of MoHS (not Ultra Director, though I love her too), whose name slips my mind currently. And Satoshi Kon is also amazing, especially since I love creepy anime. And Akira is my favorite movie, and that's definately because of Otomo, since he wrote the original manga and directed the film.
v1cious

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:07 pm Reply with quote
Osamu Tezuka was a director? i always thought of him as just a writer. anyways, it's a toss up between up between Shinichiro Watanabe and Satoshi Kon. they both do fantastic work. in my opinion.
Meccanica

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:33 pm Reply with quote
Osamu Tezuka was practically everything. Even an MD, for crying out loud.
Iwatch2muchanime

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:17 pm Reply with quote
I put one in for Tatsuya Ishihara, I just LOVE Kanon and Air to death, so I couldn't pick anyone else.

However I almost went with Hideaki Anno, because Mahoromatic is one of my favorite shows also.

Satoshi Kon is kicking some ass, as expected.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime
Captain Crotchspike

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 12:57 am Reply with quote
I voted for Yoshiyuki Tomino this time, in large part because I finished Overman King Gainer recently and loved the hell out of it from beginning to end. I found it to be a refreshing approach to the giant robot genre, in part because of how, well...happy it is. On top of that, it remains just as engaging and intense as Tomino's classically darker fare.

I even liked Brain Powered, which typically seems to be his most hated work in the English speaking community. I can't say people are unjustified in that (it's a mess towards the beginning), but I ultimately found it to be an engrossing experience.

This was pretty tough (once I slimmed it down, I was torn over Tomino, Yasuhiro Imagawa, and Noburo Ishiguro), but I've always found Tomino's stuff to be some of the most addictive and memorable anime I've seen, so there goes my vote.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:18 am Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
varmintx wrote:
I voted for Anno in the last poll, but that was before I watched Millennium Actress. However, it seems a lot of people who have watched this movie and Utena are voting for Kunihiko Ikuhara. I'm currently in the middle of this series, so maybe by the time Favorite Anime Directors Part 3 comes around, I'll have changed my vote again.

If we do part 3 (I'm considering it), it will feature an even shorter list (basically the top x directors from this poll).

-t

I think that was a great idea to eliminate Hayao Miyazaki because if you take the first poll and add up all the voters who either voted for him or didn't vote for anybody it accounts for almost half of the participants. This way it's nice to see how the "other half" votes.

And being the old school fan I am I voted for Leiji Matsumoto. He doesn't get appreciated much because none of his works have been outstanding or even very noticable especially to recent fans. But his unique art style is like no other and the messages he puts into his stories have always moved me ever since I can remember.

So does anyone else here even know who Leiji Matsumoto is without looking him up? Confused
BleuVII

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 3:40 am Reply with quote
Past wrote:
So does anyone else here even know who Leiji Matsumoto is without looking him up? Confused

Nope. Sorry. Looking him up right now.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 4:36 am Reply with quote
Past wrote:
And being the old school fan I am I voted for Leiji Matsumoto. He doesn't get appreciated much because none of his works have been outstanding or even very noticable especially to recent fans. But his unique art style is like no other and the messages he puts into his stories have always moved me ever since I can remember.

Here's the thing, though. While he has directed some of his stuff, the vast majority of it was done by other people with him maintaining an original creator, designer, or sometimes writer position. In fact the only things he himself directed were the Harlock Nibelung OVA, Interstella 5555, and most of the Space Battleship Yamato anime. All of his other best known work, like Galaxy Express 999, the Harlock TV series and Endless Odyssey OVA, Arcadia of My Youth, Queen Emeraldas, The Galaxy Railways, Maetel Legend, Queen Millennia, etc. were all directed by other people.

I adore Leiji Matsumoto's creations probably more than any other classic anime out there. In fact it was his stuff that initially got me hooked. But I hesitate to call him my favorite director, as all of my favorite works of his weren't actually directed by him when they came to animation.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:18 pm Reply with quote
Past wrote:

BleuVII wrote:
Nope. Sorry. Looking him up right now.

So Sad Sad

Nagisa wrote:
Here's the thing, though. While he has directed some of his stuff, the vast majority of it was done by other people with him maintaining an original creator, designer, or sometimes writer position.

Good point.

Maybe if we do a part 3, we should remove him because he's more of a "creator" than director. But then, he still directed a couple titles, as many as some other directors on the list (Otomo and Shinkai).

Tezuka on the other hand created and directed tons of anime.

In fact, this inspires a bit of a trick question poll....

-t
Brack

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:09 pm Reply with quote
Masali Yuasa?

Is that supposed to be Masaaki Yuasa?
Shonen Bat

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 2:34 pm Reply with quote
I voted Satoshi Kon. His work is so good. Especially Paranoia Agent and Tokyo Godfathers. I also like his animation style. It's so lifelike.

I really wish there was a Paranoia Agent manga. Sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cloe

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 11:43 pm Reply with quote
Brack wrote:
Masali Yuasa?

Is that supposed to be Masaaki Yuasa?

Wow, good eye. If it is supposed to be Masaaki Yuasa, I'm going to have to agonize internally by re-thinking my vote for Koji Morimoto. Both of them are such huge inspirations for me, it would be hard to choose between the two of them.

Nagisa wrote:
Here's the thing, though. While he has directed some of his stuff, the vast majority of it was done by other people with him maintaining an original creator, designer, or sometimes writer position.

Yeah, that's my main reason for not giving much consideration to Osamu Tezuka; like Matsumoto, he's an innovator of genius proportions, but he hasn't directed the majority of his work.

I have to say, the percentage of anime fans who aren't aware of Leiji Matsumoto's name (from the other poll) is astonishing to me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3