• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2007-01-05]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cicatriz

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:36 am Reply with quote
On the subject of English only light novels...what about those old Sailor Moon novels? I don't know if they really are in the same genre as the light novels being translated now, but I'm fairly sure they're english-only.

Edit: I love Yuki Kajiura's music, just not in the actual series. When I watched .Hack, I was so sick of Fake Wings playing EVERY time Subaru showed up even though when listening to the OST, it's one of my favorite songs. I never really bothered to pay attention to Yoko Kanno. >>;;
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:52 am Reply with quote
I've noticed that Solty Rei cover on the banner ads recently and the first time I saw it my mind pretty much hit the gutter, glad I'm not the only one guilty of that although I doubted I was since it is just that obvious.

Now, on to the whole anime fans getting made fun of thing, why am I not surprised the persecution complex that many anime fans have has shown up again. I agree with the Answerman, you take a pic like that and post it for the world to see and you shouldn't be anymore surprised people would mock something like that as much as they'd mock that Solty Rei cover. But this is hardly unique to anime fans and it's hardly anime fans being targeted specifically, as Answerman pointed out you get Star Wars fans and Trekkies that face the same things. You can easily add to that as well from fans of various sports/teams, comic book fans/collectors, toy collectors, country music fans, and the list could easily go on. This isn't some anime specific phenomenon and it gets really tiring hearing anime fans constantly acting as though it is. Let's face it, to some degree and at some point we have likely all been guilty of something equal or similar, it's simple human nature and a common factor in our society.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
aluria

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:52 am Reply with quote
I'd have to agree with the rant abotu Shoujo Beat. My high school had a subscription to it so I read it for a about a year. I detested the first few pages of ever magazine. As an Anime fan I do not care about the latest fashion and other things that have nothing to do with the manga contained within its pages. And lets face it, how often do you see trends setters reading manga and watching anime? Enough to purchase an manga anthology every month?

I had to stare at the cover for a while and was still kind of confused. I admit it. Then I read the posts and slapped myself for being stupid.

As for the composer war, I prefer Yoko Kanno as well. She just has more depth and more variety. There are few things I've heard of hers that I haven't liked. Same can't be said for Yuki Kajiura though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:00 am Reply with quote
oh, speaking of light novels, didn't Pokemon have some small children's chapter books during the height of Pokemania? I'm pretty sure they were original to America. I wouldn't really recommend them, though, they seemed to just be novelisations of some of the more popular episodes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Hagaren_Otaku726

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:06 am Reply with quote
Anime hyper Solty Rei's cover... I didn't notice that until I saw the cropped image ^^;;

This week's rant perfectly summed up my feelings for Shojo Beat. I love shojo manga, but I couldn't care less about fashion.
When you read all the articles, it's almost like they assume that you're some kind of fashion obsessed ditzy girl who would pick up anything with a hot guy on it. I mean, some of the shojo crowd is like that, but a lot of us aren't like that...

I think I might buy it for Vampire Knight, to see what's going on, but lately I've been flipping through VK and then throwing the magazine into storage. Even the survey/win something contests lately have been purses, some kind of special shoe, and some kind of perfumey thingy. *sigh*
(And yes, I join the group of people that wonder why the heck Baby and Me is in here, and also, the smaller group of people that don't really like Absolute Boyfriend or Nana.)
And the new "Beat Girl" mascot... No, she does NOT represent all the beat readers... I personally hate dresses and parties. You can't make everyone happy though, I guess...
As for the Yuki Kaijura vs Yoko Kanno debate... I've listened to both their music compositions and I like them about the same... I love the .hack//Sign OST, and the Wolf's Rain OST. *indecisive*
Key

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:19 am Reply with quote
I like both Kanno and Kajiura a lot. Though Kanno does have more variety in her sound, Kajiura has more of a signature sound, and it's one that really works for me. That's why I own more Kajiura OSTs than Kanno OSTs, and my current fave (Le Portrait de Petite Cossette) is a Kajiura work.

Really, though, both are tops in the field. Can't think of another Japanese composer who as consistently churns out quality work as those two.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Nermal

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:43 am Reply with quote
About the Solty Rei cover, I'm glad I'm not the only one who finds humor in this kind of positioning. She's just at that perfect height...

As for the composer "war" I choose Yoko Kanno, hands down. I feel that she has more variety, depth, and soul in her work. It's not that I dislike Yuki Kajiura; it's more like I prefer her music in smaller doses and not as often.

This week's rant was great. When Shojo Beat first came on the scene, I was excited that female readers were being recognized as an important part of the manga buying crowd here, but I was also skeptical about what content would be included and what age group they were targeting. I felt like I was just a tad bit too old to be subscribing to something like that, but I am on the e-mail list so I can read the series titles, issue highlights, and contest info. I took a couple of the online polls this past year and many of the questions asked what I felt was important in a magazine/life. If I recall correctly, choices included boys, makeup, fashion, etc...stuff that sounds like it belongs more in Seventeen than in a manga anthology. I can't comment on the series directly since I'm not familiar with all the titles, but I do hope they realize what kind of effect they have on young readers. If all of the stories are about romance and all the articles on beauty/fashion, what is a girl going to be thinking about/striving for in life? The Wyrd Sisters asked the question why everyone thinks that girls are only interested in fashion, beauty, and pink, and my opinion is that the kinds of material marketed towards girls is mainly fluffy, superficial, and dumb. It's hard to change people's ways of thinking, especially when these popular publications are trying to make money and not necessarily change the world. Hopefully Shojo Beat will eventually return to a more balanced line up with series that inspire girls to dream about more than just the perfect boyfriend.
Royal Devil

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 3:03 am Reply with quote
Quote:
That picture of those anime fans surrounded by moe merchandise, hugging those creepy body pillows... those guys set themselves up for ridicule by taking that photo in the first place. I mean, it's a Japanese photo, so who knows - maybe they're considered heroes among otaku there, but here? That stuff doesn't fly. Even the anime community here will make fun of you for stuff like that.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v136/levito/Forum/losers.jpg

That one gets me everytime. Laughing
Wolverine Princess

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 3:20 am Reply with quote
MorwenLaicoriel wrote:
oh, speaking of light novels, didn't Pokemon have some small children's chapter books during the height of Pokemania? I'm pretty sure they were original to America. I wouldn't really recommend them, though, they seemed to just be novelisations of some of the more popular episodes.

Yeah, I was just about to bring that up, though they're more like "I can read big-boy books by myself now, mommy!" illustrated chapter books than light novels. I bought a whole bunch of them through Scholastic mail-order catalogues back in the second grade, and I still have all of those books sitting up on my library shelf. I wouldn't be surprised if there were a few of them floating around for Yu-Gi-Oh and Naruto, too. They were very popular with children because they retold popular episodes, but I wonder how well an original fanfiction-y Pokemon novel like Zac mentioned would have flown with the kids.

EDIT:
I’ll bet Funimation is loving all this free publicity for Soly Rei. It wasn't even on my radar before, but I'm definitely going to watch it now because of this awesome image.
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 3:30 am Reply with quote
Well geez, I thought I was perverted... I didn't even notice that thing about the Solty Rei cover/ad until Zac pointed it out. Guess I'm not quite as bad as I thought (probably am though, this must've been a fluke).

And I'm still one of the minority here that is for Kajiura, as mentioned in that thread in the music forum... Explained my reasons there, and they haven't changed.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 3:53 am Reply with quote
Cicatriz wrote:
On the subject of English only light novels...what about those old Sailor Moon novels? I don't know if they really are in the same genre as the light novels being translated now, but I'm fairly sure they're english-only.

If those "count", then the Robotech novelizations "count" too, but I know that's not really what the question-writer was asking about.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mr.Diction

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 3:57 am Reply with quote
I'll be honest, that flake of the week has not been looking very hard if he can't find naked girls in anime, though i suppose it's certainly better than asking for naked girls AND blood. as for the freak question, people will always laugh at you for what you like, thats just normal, if i didn't like anime, and i liked painting, and i was very obsessed with it, then they would make fun of me for that too.

i think i win in terms of perverted thinking in that picture, i know nothing of the anime, but if that girls Rei, think of how you pronounce that title. Crying or Very sad
kensukeyura

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 4:13 am Reply with quote
Hooray! A Shojo Beat rant!! "Should it appeal to our latent maternal instincts?" Lawl... anyway, I agree with the rant for the most part... except that NANA is the most popular series in the magazine, and although Kaze Hikaru is historical, that doesn't make it intellectual.

Shojo Beat's brainless, fashion-centric turn for the worse may seem unimportant, but it's more important than you'd think. The focus on beauty in our culture lowers self-esteem and promotes eating disorders. I'm sick of it.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 6:17 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:

Really, though, both are tops in the field. Can't think of another Japanese composer who as consistently churns out quality work as those two.

Susumu Hirasawa turns out mostly gold whenever he does Anime-related stuff (infact, stuff in general), and it's sort of like a male Kajiura, with Amigas and Thai ladyboys and stuff.

It's really great work which seems to fluxuate greatly between different works and I can't help but reccomend him (one of my favourites has to be the song he made for the Berserk PS2 game. It's called Sign. Get it wherever you can, and infact I think he offers songs and albums from his site, a few are samplers but quite a bit is available for download for a price. ).
purple_monkey

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 6:57 am Reply with quote
Thank you for saying Yuki Kajiura's music all sounds the same. I've told people that for a long time and I get slammed for it. People are always asking for proof and saying I'm tone deaf or something. Even when I bring up two very similar sounding pieces no one agrees and nitpicks the minor differences when the whole piece as a whole has been recycled for the 10th time. Don't get me wrong, I love the pieces. There's just so few of them.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7