• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Are There More Anime Remakes And Sequels These Days?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AmpersandsUnited

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 3:14 am Reply with quote
jdnation wrote:
I think the best compromise to make here is to fill in the gaps between seasons with new original canon or non-canon theatrical films or OVAs.

Attack on Titan has many spin-offs like Before the Fall that could've been adapted in between. My Hero Academia had an original film.
That was what I liked about Naruto. They gave more development and focus to the side characters, expanded on events that maybe only lasted a panel or were a throwaway line in the manga.

The Pocket Monsters anime owes its popularity to doing this. If you just made an anime based on the game events it would only be 13 episodes long, but the anime expands a generation of the game to over 100 episodes by adding in new characters, storylines, and fleshing the world out much more in-depth.
anime_layer

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 12:49 pm Reply with quote
I did a quick comparison of 1998 and 2018 on Twitter some time ago:
https://twitter.com/sttz/status/1014577644430651398

I looked at wether series where new or continuing, where continuing could mean it's a sequel, spin-off, remake or whatever.

While continuing series did increase by 18%, new series actually increased much more by 58%. Put another way, the amount of continuing series decreased by 8 percentage points from 63% to 55%.

This would suggest that, contrary to the question, we get less remakes and sequels today, even with series becoming shorter and being split cour more often.

I would suggest the sentiment has a different source, the dramatic decline of original anime vs adaptations. In 1998, 34% of all anime where original, in 2018 only 13%. Today, we get a lot more adaptations and that may lead to the impression that we also get more remakes and sequels.

As an aside, interestingly, the percentage of novel adaptations has been stable (17% to 16%) but game adaptations have increased significantly (7% to 18%). So much for the light novel adaptation boom (though I didn't check if there was a shift from novels to light novels), it's more of a game adaptation and adaptation boom in general (total number of novel adaptations still went up 71% - it's just that all other adaptations went up as well).
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 11:50 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
I_Drive_DSM wrote:
The 90s/00s seemed like a heyday in that all sorts of character goods were produced on things like phone cards, reproduction cells, pencil boards, etc etc. Nowadays since all animation is digital
Anime was digital in the 00s.

The transition to all digital painting didn't finish until the 10s. (Sazae-san in 2013, to be specific.) And there were definitely new productions in at least 01-02 that were wholly or primary cel animated.
Just Passing Through

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 6:17 am Reply with quote
anime_layer wrote:

Thanks for crunching some numbers. It makes food for thought....
Brack

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Just Passing Through wrote:
anime_layer wrote:

Thanks for crunching some numbers. It makes food for thought....

Some of those 1998 original anime (as per MAL and those numbers), they aren't that original.

For example:

El Hazard: The Alternative World - Remake
    Burn Up Excess - Sequel / Remake
    All Purpose Cultural Cat Girl Nuku Nuku and All Purpose Cultural Cat Girl Nuku Nuku DASH! - Sequel/Remake/Spin-Off
    Mahou no Stage Fancy Lala - Remake in name only, and part of Pierrot Magical Girl franchise.
    Alice SOS - inspired by Alice in Wonderland
    Sentimental Journey - spin off the Sentimental Graffiti games.
    YAT Anshin! Uchuu Ryokou 2 - sequel.
    Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040 - Remake.
    St. Luminous Mission High School - Debuted as a radio programme earlier in the year.

The difference to today is mainly the sources they were going to, initially a lot of previously successful OAVs got TV versions, and in how deep the sequels got.
anime_layer

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 4:08 pm Reply with quote
Brack wrote:
Some of those 1998 original anime (as per MAL and those numbers), they aren't that original.

I used MAL as source for what was airing and categorized all titles by hand.

I didn't want to go by a gut feeling and therefore did this cursory comparison. There are definitely inaccuracies in the data and arguments could be had where some series fall exactly but I believe the overall conclusion is accurate.

Regarding your examples:

Maybe it wasn't clear enough but I compared the spring seasons of 1998 and 2018. El Hazard, Nuku Nuku and Bubblegum Crisis aired in the winter or fall seasons.

I did count Sentimental Journey as a game adaptation and both Burn Up Excess and YAT Anshin! Uchuu Ryokou 2 as sequels. I was comparing adapations vs originals and sequels are not adaptations, therefore I counted them as originals (but as continuing series).

Alice SOS, St. Luminous and Fancy Lala are nitpicks.

Everything is inspired by something else and there are no true originals, Alice SOS is sufficiently different from Alice in Wonderland to be counted as an original. In spring 2018 I also counted Megalo Box as an original, even if it's inspired by Ashita no Joe.

St. Luminous is a bit trickier and could maybe be counted as a cross-media franchise. However, I would see the radio play more as a preview - saying the anime was adapted from the radio play probably doesn't reflect the realities of the production.

I did count Fancy Lala as an original. I didn't see the OVA and so can't say much about the similarities but the fact that it's part of the Pierrot magical girls series does not make it an adaptation.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2