• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Berserk's Golden Age Arc to Be Made Into 3 Anime Films

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jsc315

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:34 pm Reply with quote
Westlo wrote:
Toriko36 wrote:
But aren't these 3 films, just going to be on the Golden Age Arc?

That doesn't mean there won't be more films, correct? I'm sure this statement is just the first of many films (or maybe series) to come in the future.

Correct, this entire project will last a decade.

Well considering the manga takes a lifetime to complete these 3 movies will be out by 2020.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:48 pm Reply with quote
Zalis+AWO: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTmvxksq0pc Rolling Eyes

rti:
Quote:
By making a sequel, you'd force a whole new generation of potential fans to either watch a 25-episode 90's TV show (something many aren't willing to do), read the manga until a specific point, or not understand what is going on in the story.

So what? Did anyone complain about Patlabor WXIII or Slayers Revolution? Or that special online-exclusive DB short from Toriyama?

Quote:
The Remake of Eva movies prove how financially rewarding this project can be.

And how utterly greedy and manipulative the industry is becoming to its fans.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:15 pm Reply with quote
Fantastic news. I figured they'd do it in two movies which would have been possible but three really gives the story time to breathe.

I'm not sure what's up with all the negativity in this thread. There was no way they were ever going to not reboot the whole series. I can understand being eager to get to the new stuff but it is really so bad to wait another year or so? Especially since we've got what's shaping up to be an extremely polished and faithful retelling of the Golden Age in the mean time.
GordanHam

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:41 pm Reply with quote
God, I really hope this bombs. I am so sick of Berserk and the BS surrounding it. It is poop and I hope that these movies tank and the project gets canceled, and that all the people who like it can just enjoy their yearly volume of manga.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Mad_Scientist wrote:
rti9 wrote:
Anime World Order wrote:
What I would much, much, MUCH rather have is for a new Berserk anime to not cover the Golden Age arc at all and instead give all Berserk anime fans what they've been hoping for all these years by showing what happens after that extended flashback.

As much as I like the Berserk anime, I always thought that the series could have been much better. Especially the action scenes. By making a sequel, you'd force a whole new generation of potential fans to either watch a 25-episode 90's TV show (something many aren't willing to do), read the manga until a specific point, or not understand what is going on in the story.

Yah. It's been over a decade since the previous anime series aired, expecting everyone to already be familiar with it or the original manga is probably a mistake.

By starting with the Golden age and moving forward, new fans will be able to have an idea what is going on.

Starting with the Golden Age is to be expected considering how old the anime is, but I would have guessed two movies since there is probably enough that could be left out just to keep things moving. Then again, I'm also one of those who would like to get past what the anime has covered.

Toriko36 wrote:
Westlo wrote:
Toriko36 wrote:
But aren't these 3 films, just going to be on the Golden Age Arc?

That doesn't mean there won't be more films, correct? I'm sure this statement is just the first of many films (or maybe series) to come in the future.

Correct, this entire project will last a decade.

Only a decade huh? I think you're being too optimistic Cool

Shall we take bets on whether the manga is done by the time the movies catch up? Laughing
Ryo Hazuki

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:24 pm Reply with quote
I really like the manga but I've read the animation in the anime isn't the best possible, which makes me interested in the upcoming movies.
Keiichi-chan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:56 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
So instead of the 1997 25-episode manga commercial, we get a 3-movie manga commercial with more or less the same content? Forget that.

lol, you're speaking the truth, unfortunately.
i'd honestly rather see a brand-new sidestory overseen and written by miura, but meh..i guess they have to go back and fix all the screw-ups the original anime team made (meanwhile making their own). at least we'll get to see puck animated this time, although i was hoping to see serpico and isidro as well. =\
Quote:

Yah. It's been over a decade since the previous anime series aired, expecting everyone to already be familiar with it or the original manga is probably a mistake.

By starting with the Golden age and moving forward, new fans will be able to have an idea what is going on.

also, the original berserk anime was never really popular to begin with in japan, so i doubt many of the current berserk manga fanbase has even bothered watching it.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:59 am Reply with quote
Kei:
Quote:
also, the original berserk anime was never really popular to begin with in japan, so i doubt many of the current berserk manga fanbase has even bothered watching it.

I'm not sure who it wasn't popular with in Japan, but being screened at a late night doesn't make an anime unprofitable.

ikillchicken:
Quote:
There was no way they were ever going to not reboot the whole series. I can understand being eager to get to the new stuff but it is really so bad to wait another year or so?

Well, given that it's 15 years in total, and they teased us with bullshit art which suggested new content, yes.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:43 am Reply with quote
Kei:
Quote:
at least we'll get to see puck animated this time

Actually, he's not in it either. At least that's what @berserk_project told me. Crying or Very sad

On a related note: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTmvxksq0pc Rolling Eyes

Last edited by GATSU on Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:59 am; edited 1 time in total
Westlo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:13 am Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
Shall we take bets on whether the manga is done by the time the movies catch up? :lol:

Well the iDOLM@STER anime just started and I have a feeling that a Vita/PS3 iDOLM@STER is going to get announced....

Oh yeah the director of this is the original character designer for iDOLM@STER as well lol.
Shale

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:24 am Reply with quote
Niomo wrote:
Pass. I've seen the Golden Age arc twice already. I've read it four times.

Give me something new. Like what happens AFTER the Golden Age. That is the good stuff.

Hell, most people who have only seen the anime don't even know why the show is named Berserk. That is what these movies should be about!

THIS. The Berserk TV series was really good! It's freely available! I want more, not the same story with a new coat of paint that it doesn't even need.
4nBlue

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:34 am Reply with quote
Westlo wrote:
Well the iDOLM@STER anime just started and I have a feeling that a Vita/PS3 iDOLM@STER is going to get announced....

Oh yeah the director of this is the original character designer for iDOLM@STER as well lol.

Miura must be getting paid with character sketches. Laughing
luffypirate

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:21 am Reply with quote
Yeesh. Beserk fans seem to be some of the most ungrateful peeps out there. Piss and moan. Bet you'll still watch the fansubs.
Toriko36

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:50 am Reply with quote
luffypirate85 wrote:
Yeesh. Beserk fans seem to be some of the most ungrateful peeps out there. Piss and moan. Bet you'll still watch the fansubs.

I just believe that many Berserk fans are impatient and considering Miura puts out a chapter every 3-4 weeks, many people become impatient and would just like to see the story on a more constant basis. As a huge Berserk fan, I'm not sure if I would like to read a chapter a week, much like a typical Shonen title, but maybe two chapters a month would be a bit better.

Oh well. Again, I am very grateful for the anime project and will continue to read and purchase every volume of the manga, all in support of Miura and his outstanding masterpiece, Berserk.
bobaman

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:48 am Reply with quote
GordanHam wrote:
God, I really hope this bombs. I am so sick of Berserk and the BS surrounding it. It is poop and I hope that these movies tank and the project gets canceled, and that all the people who like it can just enjoy their yearly volume of manga.

There are hundreds and thousands of people who have been waiting for this day to come for 15 years. If you don't like Berserk, that's fine, but why the hate for all the people that do? I've watched the old anime several times, and have read the manga through 2 times, and it's still one of my favorite mangas to date. Scratch that, it IS my favorite. A full anime reboot is a dream come true. For you to wish such negativity on all the fans and the hardworking team that expects to be employed for the next 10 or so years working on this project, shows that you're a pretty insensitive and self centered punk. Don't be a punk.

Shale wrote:

THIS. The Berserk TV series was really good! It's freely available! I want more, not the same story with a new coat of paint that it doesn't even need.

Freely available? GTFO. The anime series has already been repackaged and discounted AND remastered by Media Blasters twice. You can get it for $30 on amazon. I don't think all the artists, directors, sound engineers, voice actors, editors, colorists, and so forth worked for FREE. Why don't you try supporting instead of pirating? People like you have no right to complain about wanting more. Of course, if you are going to tell me that you have bought the series, then well, I don't know why you made this statement in the first place. Don't be a douche.

And to everyone else here on this forum that are complaining about a reboot... listen. Some of you said it correctly already, but let me say it again. There were a lot of holes in the original anime. Characters weren't introduced, things happened that didn't really happen, things didn't happen that should have happened... how do you expect the new anime to continue a faulty story? I, for one, am ecstatic they are starting over from scratch.

Also, to everyone who wants to see what happens after the Golden Age, you do all realize that this movie trilogy is just the BEGINNING of the new anime project. Although there is no official statement about what kind of format (OVA or TV series or more movies), the plan is that the whole story will be animated. So don't worry, fellow Berserk fans, we'll get to see our Isidro and our Puck and our Schierke and our trolls and so forth. I mean, the first trailer / CMs already show the Reunion on the Hill of Swords. As some people have mentioned, this anime project can take 10 years or more. And I'm 100% cool with that. New Berserk anime for the next 10 years of my life? Sounds frakkin' awesome to me.

Finally, the only thing valid to really complain about here is that they aren't starting with the "Black Swordsman" arc. I was disappointed to hear this at first. I truly do hope we see this arc animated at some point, and I don't think it's possible for them to fit 3 volumes of manga in the first movie of the trilogy. At this point in time, I hope after the movie trilogy is done, they animate the Black Swordsman arc. I really hope they don't omit it entirely.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3