• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Theron Martin's Best (and Worst) of 2006

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dante80

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 12:18 pm Reply with quote
Nice article, thanks man... Very Happy

My only complain is that there are BIG spoilers inside the article and no warning is given about them... Embarassed

Salutations from Sunny Greece, George F.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 12:31 pm Reply with quote
Bravo! And I definetly applause the choice of Most Effective Death Scene. I've read the manga version and seen the anime, and in either case, what happens there is really hard hitting when you can't do anything about it.
Biggest Announcement? Of course! We've all been wanting to see it come over here, but it was just a matter of who was going to get it and when.
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 12:41 pm Reply with quote
Keys great job on this wrap-up I am going to have to check out Runner Kuromi 2, I would never thought to watch that it.

Keys wrote:
Series of the Year: Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo Runner-Ups: Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex 2nd Gig, Fullmetal Alchemist

I agree with these 100% although Gankutsuou might not have been seen by as many people as FMA and GITS (This is in part to not being on TV and how expensive the DVDs are) but it's still one of my favorite series. But it's one of the series you have to watch the sub of, the dub just can't compared.

Keys wrote:
Best English Dub: Desert Punk

This is a great dub, I didn't enjoy the series overall but the dub did at least do a nice job. Personally I would of liked to see GITS since that dub was so well done.

Keys wrote:
Trend That Needs To Continue: Licensing and release of anime-related novels.

ABSOLUTELY, the original .hack novel proved that there was a market, and now we are finally get novel like 12 Kingdoms and the original Trinity Blood. I am hoping that more people buy these, and likewise that more novels do get released.

GATSU wrote:
I only care about novels, if they aren't just cash-ins which take away from a series. (*cough* Blood *cough*)

Are you coughing blood? Wink You wouldn't be talking about this thing? All it did was berate you with information that didn't make sense with information that was presented later on in the series.

Delta

Edit: Concerning MoHS, that was the biggest announcement; but the biggest surprise had to be gunbuster.
bahamut623

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 2:13 pm Reply with quote
I couldn't agree more with the choice for best series and for best moment as well. Gankutsuou is just amazing. As for Eureka 7, their reunion is one of my favortie scenes ever in anything (anime or otherwise). For me it's definitely the most memorable moment of the series (and their are quite a few contenders in this series). It was truly emotional but what made it great was how perfect the animation for the scene was, and just the setting itself, with the two of them reuiniting midair in the middle of a battle. It was just perfect and one of the best anime moments I've ever seen.

As for Fantastic Children's dub, I've really been wanting to watch the show, but I'm a little apprehensive about the dub. This is one of the outsourced Bandai dubs you mentioned right?

I was surprised/disappointed that Planetes wasn't mentioned more (maybe because the majority of it was released in 2005). I just started watching recently (picked up the complete series set on a Best Buy gift card whim lol, one of the best impulse buys ever btw), and I've been really impressed by the dub. I switched to the Japanese track out of curiosity and kinda thought it was much worse than the dub.
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Here's hoping that Bandai does not hand this one over to Odex Pointe Limited!

I doubt it, given that the auditions were from recognizable LA voice actors (and thus probably not Singapore). I don't think Bandai would dare go the cheap route for TMoHS.

It is a trend that needs to stop, though. They're obviously doing it because its cheap and think most fans won't care about the dub.
musashi1600

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Trend That Needs To Continue: Licensing and release of anime-related novels.

I agree with this, provided the licensing company doesn't make any significant alterations to the content of the book. *coughkinosjourneycough*
hanachan01

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 3:52 pm Reply with quote
I really want to see the Haruhi Suzumiya, Kyo Kara Mao and FullMetal Panic novels liscenced myself. I've started reading translations of the first Haruhi novel, and it's quite good. However, reading on a computer hurts my eyes, and I'd love a legal, translated hard copy. I would like to see what the FMP and KKM novels are like as well, as they were the basis for the anime series.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 3:59 pm Reply with quote
bahamut623 wrote:
As for Fantastic Children's dub, I've really been wanting to watch the show, but I'm a little apprehensive about the dub. This is one of the outsourced Bandai dubs you mentioned right?

Yep. Don't let that stop you from seeing it, though. It's a good and original story that would've made my Top 10 list for the year if I'd made one, so just watch that one subbed and pretend the dub doesn't exist. (Really, it's bad enough that even diehard dub fans are unlikely to tolerate it.) Its DVDs are also cheaper than the norm (you might fight some as low as $11-12), so it's a good value.

Quote:
I was surprised/disappointed that Planetes wasn't mentioned more (maybe because the majority of it was released in 2005). I just started watching recently (picked up the complete series set on a Best Buy gift card whim lol, one of the best impulse buys ever btw), and I've been really impressed by the dub. I switched to the Japanese track out of curiosity and kinda thought it was much worse than the dub.

Yeah, that and a couple of others deserving series didn't receive more mention because only their last volume or two came out in 2006 (Scrapped Princess was another, and there were a couple of others). The dub for Planetes actually starts out a bit weak - I rated it down on the first volume - but does gradually get better. Even at its best, though, it's not in league with titles like Desert Punk, Speed Grapher, or FMA on dub quality. Wouldn't even make the Top 10.

Last edited by Key on Sun Jan 07, 2007 10:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 5:24 pm Reply with quote
I'll cry this same lament until I either die, or they get translated, and published, but please someone publish the "The True Tenchi Muyo" Novels, All three. Please! I beg of you! Crying or Very sad
It's like being Christian without the Bible. Muslim without the Kuran. Jewish without the Torah. It's that important to any true Tenchi Muyo OVA fan.
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 5:35 pm Reply with quote
Love your choices here. I haven't had a chance to see some of the titles, but the ones that I have see I heartily agree with.

There's only two choices I disagree with: With Pani Poni Dash!, I thought that having an 11-year-old teacher helped add to the humor of the series, particularly since Rebecca is such a brat. I haven't seen Negima, though, so I didn't know this was even a trend.

And as for "You Won't See Me Coming" as best closer...I'm going to have to disagree there. The visuals are EXCELLENT, yes, but the music is generic sounding and the lyrics are lame. I'll watch the ending for the visuals sometime, but I would never actually listen to that song on its own.
Dargonxtc wrote:
Really good read. And it reminded me of two series that I wanted to pick up(I really did) but never did. Gankutsuou and Tutu. That won't be the case for 2007, that will be fixed very soon.

Yes, you MUST watch Gankutsuou and Tutu. I'm in absolute love with that series. xD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
bleuster

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Boogiepop novels has already been released in the States by Seven Seas. The first two, at least.

Or are you telling me that there is another set of the Boogiepop series I have to hunt down?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 6:03 pm Reply with quote
Key:
Quote:

And GATSU: Death Note wasn't out in North America in 2006 (it's not even licensed yet, is it?)

Not officially, anyway... Wink
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 6:49 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

Not officially, anyway... Wink

We don't do this "WINK WINK WINK I DOWNLOADED IT WINK WINK" crap here and you know it, so knock it off.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 6:50 pm Reply with quote
But Raito can't do it just by looking, he has to write it down in detail.

Lulu (from Code Geass) on the other hand, can make you do whatever he wants, including suicide, just by looking you in the eye and sayng something.
liloaznangel

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 8:03 pm Reply with quote
"Special Award For Costume Design: Haidee's opera dress, Gankutsuou episode 6"

Does anyone have a image of what it looks like, I'm curious about it now ^^;
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4