• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Theron Martin's Best (and Worst) of 2006

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:43 pm Reply with quote
luffypirate85 wrote:
awww man. no props for speed grapher?? id say that show has the best dub by far. also that recap episode in the 4th volume was pretty neat.

I was biting my nails in anticipation of seeing Speed Grapher on Key's list of worst shows for 2006 based off of his reviews of the series. This is a series that despite it polarizing the fans still ranks decently on the ANN rankings. I'm glad that the honors went to UFO Ultramaiden, a series that I avoided based off the many bad reviews on so many sites and overall weak consensus of the members here.

Everything listed here tends to be fairly solid, although I have not watched the English tracks on many titles listed, and have yet to see Princess Tutu, Ninja Nonsense or Kirameki. I've also only seen Eureka 7 up until episode 22, since volume 6 has not arrived yet.

I'm also a tad weary about translated novels, since I currently have stacks of novels that I still need to read and the last Japanese translated novel (the highly praised Guin Saga books 1-3) were mediocre at best. I will admit I am somewhat of a literary snob, since I went through several years of reading nothing but award winning fiction. Of course it would be hard for a .hack novel to compete against Heinlein, Clark, or Stephenson, although I wouldn't doubt if it were at least as good as a Trek or D&D novel.

Overall I tend to agree with Key's opinions, and always enjoy reading and comparing notes when it comes to reviews. I'm also glad that there is someone out there who can screen out good dubs, since I often won't bother with an English track unless I see good things posted about a dub. Conversely you can be sure a dub is really bad if Key doesn't like it.
lazylii

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:42 pm Reply with quote
Yay! for Princess Tutu and FMA. i'm a big fun of Laura Bailey.
kazenoyume

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:42 am Reply with quote
I agree with a lot (even most) of these choices. I'm so happy to see PT recognized as the best volume of the year especially. But I have to express my distaste for choosing IY episode 147-48.

First off it is NOT a recap episode. It's except for about three minutes of it, completely new material. There's nothing recap about it. It's a backstory. Secondly, I've never seen a filler disregard source material so badly. A huge chunk of the episode hinges on things that contradict not only things presented in the manga, but earlier scenes in the anime itself which is honestly just sloppy. And the characters act nothing like themselves, but since I guess that's a little more objective *shrug* In any case, it's nothing more than a poorly written fanfiction by the writers that left me with the same 'ugh' feeling the Seisouhen OVA of Rurouni Kenshin did.

This episode was a huge disservice to the franchise, the source material, and if anything was the final (very large) nail in the coffin as far as my strong dislike for the IY anime. It still leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

And considering there's only one other two-part episode (which was also pretty awful), it's not in much competition.
nooneofconsequence

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:54 am Reply with quote
Quick note, this was part of my reply that got seperated into the cute anime bias thread. Didn't really belong there so I brought it back over.

Count me in as another person who disagrees with Key's pick for Trend That Need To End. Asides from using poor grammar in the category title, just how many shows featuring kid geniuses as teachers have there been in the past couple years. I'm pretty there's only been Negima and Pani Poni Dash. IIRC something has to occur more frequently than just two instances to be considered a trend.

And some of the reasoning behind the pick seems to be really off...

Quote:
The inappropriateness and unfeasibility of it all is mind-boggling.

Since when did people have to take feasibility, let alone appropriateness, into account when watching either parodies or adaptations of Ken Akamatsu's work? I mean that's just about the equivalent of saying that mecha series should be stopped being made because the feasability of using giant robots in a real world setting is close to nil, or shows like DBZ should have more realism.

The runner-up in the category makes more sense. Bandai dubs have been pretty shoddy recently. There was a time when you could either expect mediocre to listenable work from them using Ocean, or good to excellent dubs through groups like Bang Zoom.
CaptainAvatar

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:23 am Reply with quote
[quote="Professor Genius"]
Quote:
Better a craptastic dub than no dub at all.

I couldn't disagree more. The dub of an American release is the largest production expense, so if you are going to do it, do it right. I certainly wouldn't want the Cardcaptors dub included on my Cardcaptor Sakura DVD set.
Beruda

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:39 pm Reply with quote
Since I didn't see most of what won I can't comment but I certainly agree with the pick for best series, Gankutsuou is a fantastic series. As for the runner's up I would pick FMA over GITS 2nd Gig. While I thought it was pretty good I felt the laughing man story was better executed.

The best dub and one of the best series I saw last year was Samurai 7 ( I'm not sure about the time frame, this may have actually come out in 05) I really liked this series and was pleasantly surprised how well developed the story and characters were. The actor who voiced Kambe (he sounded just like a man who's seen to much) was superb and he set the tone for the whole series. Good ensemble work.

And I definately agree with wanting to see more novels published. While I love to see well done and entertaining anime I love to read and I'm very interested in to the background of alot of the shows and characters I've seen.

B.
NGE1113

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:01 pm Reply with quote
I agree with a lot of the choices regarding the 2006 best / worst list, especially with the choices for VAs of the year (go, Laura Bailey and Sean Schemmel!). I also heartily agree with the fact that ADV crossed the line on their dub for ep. 12 of Ghost Stories. However, there was an item that I have to disagree with:

Comedy of the Year
Admittedly, I haven't seen this show, but I did see all the shows that were in the runner-up slot. Out of those three, Ninja Nonsense was, to me, the best comedy put out this year. I watched this back on fansubs a couple of years ago, and rewatching it hasn't dulled the comedic sense I got from it. *smiles remembering ninja baseball episode*
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4