• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Oricon: Fans Want L, Char Aznable Spinoffs

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
v1cious

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 2:26 pm Reply with quote
an L spinoff? i think that would be kinda hard given umm... certain circumstances.
Merciful Evans

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 3:05 pm Reply with quote
L's popularity doesn't seem that surprising to me. I don't mind admitting his character was over half the reason I followed Deathnote for any length at all, after Raito's behavior became depressingly predictable. I don't claim to speak for his fanbase by any means, but I appreciated his quirky character design and even moreso his completely bizarre mannerisms. If it weren't for L, I would agree with most of Deathnote's detractors, but the tedious pacing was bearable while I could laugh at how kooky he was.

Then there's the way the story treated his character, which did leave me at least feeling dissatisfied; I don't think I'm alone there.

I look forward to his spin-off; I thought it was a shame to see a character I found so amusing and clever spoiler[pushed aside for Kira's "grandiose" and oh-so-wicked ambition. *yawn*]
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 5:50 pm Reply with quote
L is definetly one of the coolest characters out there right now, I'm glad they're coming out with that movie. One catch is I'm surprised to see Lolonoa Zoro on all three lists. I admit he is an essential character to why One Piece is so popular, and I don't think Luffy could survive without him.
Bruce Lee

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 6:07 pm Reply with quote
A Char spinoff would be pretty freakin sweet. I loved Char's Counterattack, and would be stoked to see a full series focusing on his special flavor of misguided crazy.

Speaking of crazy, I'd LMAO over a Masumi spinoff. If it's anything like his character in the live action, that would be insanely funny. Laughing
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 8:11 pm Reply with quote
I demand a crossover spin-off with Char Aznable and L as roomates. And Krillin as their loser friend. Usopp is their wacky next door neighbor.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Angel_Trainee

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:17 pm Reply with quote
BleuVII wrote:
Yeah, L's spinoff would be incredibly interesting. Still, I'm surprised that no EVA characters made it on the list, seeing as how wildly popular it still is.

Now, if I could choose any character from any manga or anime movie to see a spinoff series... that's a tough question.

(about five minutes of silent thinking)

I think I'd have to choose Fletcher and Russel Tringham from Fullmetal Alchemist. It would allow us to delve into the world of FMA a little bit more, through the eyes of two incredibly cool characters.

Yeah an L anime spinnoff would be intresting and a Flecher and Russel one would be intresting too. Anime smile
SnowStar_7*

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:28 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
Wow that's an interesting list. I'm shocked that 'Roy Mustang' didn't make it on the girls list. And he was pretty well liked!

I guess I was right about 'Death Note' being something that would appeal to the girls. I being a girl for one do like 'L'. Not because he's handsome but because he's "odd". Yet I care very little for "pretty boys". I'm more the type that likes the natural masculine, the good natured and the odd ball. As well as the strong female. Whether her strengths come of intelligence , being kind hearted and nuturing as well as kicking some one's ass. I guess I like 'Fujiko' too.

It's funny to see that the guy's list of choices are downright masculine as well as odd. The inspector from 'Lupin'. I had to laugh at that one.

Agreed with your entire post. Also, the inspector was one of the best things about Lupin III. Razz

I actually found some of the choices random, but that's just my opinon. Personally thinking through alot of the stuff I watched and seeing as I love the nerds. I'm going to have to say I would watch a spin-off of Takamizawa from Midori no Hibi (also knows as Midori Days). It would be funny watching the guy going through the different aspects of Otaku culture. Yes, I like Genshiken.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 1:10 am Reply with quote
Now that I think about it, before the article, I was actually contemplating the idea of a side-story featuring Shin from Nana.
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:20 am Reply with quote
wtf Usopp? I can see why Zoro might be on this list but I think they should just leave them all be.
They're a team they can't split up!
spoiler[and yes I know of the usopp "leaving" the Straw hats but still]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2