• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Oricon: Fans Want L, Char Aznable Spinoffs

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chaosbladeuk

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 6:18 am Reply with quote
Wow L would be an interesting character to explore especially about what made him become a detective and his unusual method of enquiring. I don't think having a spinoff of Roy Mustang would really work since FMA developed him quite a bit already =\.

I wonder what the categories of selection was, as alot of characters from Lupin the 3rd as well as One Piece showed up.
Fiction Alchemist

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 6:53 am Reply with quote
Edited

Last edited by Fiction Alchemist on Thu Sep 08, 2022 10:50 am; edited 2 times in total
BleuVII

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 6:56 am Reply with quote
Yeah, L's spinoff would be incredibly interesting. Still, I'm surprised that no EVA characters made it on the list, seeing as how wildly popular it still is.

Now, if I could choose any character from any manga or anime movie to see a spinoff series... that's a tough question.

(about five minutes of silent thinking)

I think I'd have to choose Fletcher and Russel Tringham from Fullmetal Alchemist. It would allow us to delve into the world of FMA a little bit more, through the eyes of two incredibly cool characters.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:21 am Reply with quote
L's too boring to have his own spin-off. It'd probably be like Detective Conan, except with a more geeky lead. I'd be cool with a Zenigata spin-off, though. Dunno what the hell Goemon would do except mope. Laughing
Nagisa

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:27 am Reply with quote
Fiction Alchemist wrote:
The idea of a Krillin spinoff is a bit odd to me. DBZ was so centered around fighting, and Krillin was spoiler[made to look weak toward the end of DBZ]. What could they do? It would be like giving a spinoff to Tenshinhan or Yamcha or something. Of course, I'm not saying that a spinoff show HAS to be like the original show, but I'm just saying what I'm saying, is all...

The problem with Krillin is that he got tied down plot-wise after a certain point. He settled down, got married, had a family, and got old. There's nothing really exciting they could do there. Tenshinhan would be interesting, though, because he just plain disappears after the Cell Arc and goes all monk-like, if I remember correctly. I think there are a few things they could do with him at least, since there's no record at all of his exploits after Cell, so there's a virtually clean slate to play with.

pandora666 wrote:
The girls like Goemon more than the boys do, eh? Interesting. Anime smile

And he was always the weakest of the Lupin gang when it came to women. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 8:18 am Reply with quote
I hear that Goemon merchandise tends to out-sell the other characters in Japan, but I could be wrong.
RubberSoul

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:52 am Reply with quote
My God, these lists are beautiful. It's like someone is reading my mind.
minakichan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:56 am Reply with quote
L makes a lot of sense for this. He's really enigmatic, all we know is he's a Japanese orphan raised in England (PROBABLY, we don't even know that for sure), so of course we want to know his background and how he got so freaking quirky. I think the spinoff in the works isn't really going to tell us that, so even despite it, I'd like to see his real background. (Or he could stay enigmatic. It DOES kind of feel ruined to find out his background.)
andrael

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 12:07 pm Reply with quote
Cool and interesting supporting characters do not always make for cool and interesting lead characters when the burden of driving the plot/action is shifted onto them.

Take Goemon, for instance. I say this as a dyed-in-the-wool Goemon fangirl, with a well-loved Goemon plushie scowling at me from atop my monitor as I type. But a series all about Goemon would be frightfully dull. Every episode would start with him dramatically cutting some object into pieces -- say, a helicopter, or a giant Buddha filled with candy. Then he would spend twenty minutes wandering around, or sitting and brooding, or maybe meditating under a waterfall. Then he would fend off a random ninja attack. And then, for the episode's climax, he would dramatically cut some object into pieces -- say, an aircraft carrier, or Mount Rushmore. Then he would wander off into the sunset with a broody expression on his face.

...I take it back, that would be the best series ever.
AutoGyro

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 12:26 pm Reply with quote
andrael wrote:

Take Goemon, for instance. I say this as a dyed-in-the-wool Goemon fangirl, with a well-loved Goemon plushie scowling at me from atop my monitor as I type. But a series all about Goemon would be frightfully dull.

While that could be true, Goemon-centered episodes and TV specials have for the most part been good. I enjoyed Dragon of Doom and the Fuma Conspiracy is rather well done, apart from the voice cast. One of my favorite episodes in the 2nd series is the Riddle of Tsukikage Castle, which features Goemon fighting the Fuma clan again.

I think a 24-26 part non-episodic series with about Goemon and the Fuma clan would be rather interesting. Perhaps it would center around the long fued between the Fumas Goemon and why it came about. Very Happy

I, however, would like to see a 26 episode series featuring the entire cast, where it would have arcs about each character prior to them meeting Lupin, with the last arc being the group's first major heist. Episodes 1-2 would be a nice opener in the true Lupin fashion, then we would go back prior to the group forming. 3-6 would be about Goemon, 7-10 would be about Jigen, 11-14 about Fujiko, 15-18 about Lupin, 19-22 about how everyone met, and 23-26 about their first heist together. Now that would be a good series Razz
smoochy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 12:56 pm Reply with quote
I want to see one with Siddhartha...
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:01 pm Reply with quote
I'm a bit surprised to see Masumi from Nodame Cantabile there, though I guess that could be interesting. I definitely agree with the NANA choices, though hopefully the manga will give us some more backstory/development for both Reira/Layla and Shin.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:07 pm Reply with quote
Wow that's an interesting list. I'm shocked that 'Roy Mustang' didn't make it on the girls list. And he was pretty well liked!

I guess I was right about 'Death Note' being something that would appeal to the girls. I being a girl for one do like 'L'. Not because he's handsome but because he's "odd". Yet I care very little for "pretty boys". I'm more the type that likes the natural masculine, the good natured and the odd ball. As well as the strong female. Whether her strengths come of intelligence , being kind hearted and nuturing as well as kicking some one's ass. I guess I like 'Fujiko' too.

It's funny to see that the guy's list of choices are downright masculine as well as odd. The inspector from 'Lupin'. I had to laugh at that one.
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
Wow that's an interesting list. I'm shocked that 'Roy Mustang' didn't make it on the girls list. And he was pretty well liked!

I figured that Roy was more popular in the US then he was in Japan, but I am surprised that he wasn't on the list as well. I don't really understand L, but then again I am not following the manga so I am not sure what twist and turns have occurred. But I have a feeling people want to know more about his past.

As for Char, really Char? I can't believe people are still wanting to see Char....where the love for my Miliardo Peacecraft, just kidding. I guess the original Gundam (and their characters) do still have some fans that want to see more, and yet it appears that we are going to get more Seed interesting.
UltimaShadowfax

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:50 pm Reply with quote
lawl @ Krillin being on there

doing a spinoff for Tenshinhan & Chaozu would make a lot more sense
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2