• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Cartoon Network Goes HD in September

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lyrai

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:13 am Reply with quote
Huh. Interesting.

Wonder if they'll try to get HD Anime for this network.

..does much anime EXIST in HD even? Only thing I've heard is that Dragonball Z DVD re-re-release thing.
Whearn9999

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:49 am Reply with quote
Ahhh! Even more for my TV to feast upon. Yum! Smile
agent007

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:02 am Reply with quote
Most Anime in Japan is HD.. or is eventually release/published in some HD channel.
However, don't expect too much since the animation quality influences the broadcast/Bluray disc quality.
I've seen fansubs for the same show in 1280x720 as well as 704x396 and some are barely better whereas some are gorgeous.
AIR and Mushishi would look awesome whereas something like Black Lagoon does not (although one would think.) Sure, the quality is "crisper" but not the massive difference one would notice when compared to live-action shows.
ZeroRyoko1974

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:30 am Reply with quote
what choice did cartoon network have, they had to go HD with the anouncement of DBZ HD Laughing
God Gundam

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:32 am Reply with quote
ZeroRyoko1974 wrote:
what choice did cartoon network have, they had to go HD with the anouncement of DBZ HD Laughing

Uh... no... Cartoon Network has never said they will show DBZ HD (they probably won't).
Bruce Lee

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 12:40 pm Reply with quote
I think the smily face shows that zero was kidding...

And I know that there is a good ammount of HD content out there, Anime-wise. I recall an article quoting people from ADV saying that they had HD quality masters of many of their newer shows, including EVA.

However, i's not uncommon for "HD" channels to display "non-HD" content. It really depends on the station's preference and the program. The local NBC affiliate here in Seattle, WA shows the news in HD, but I believe that Scrubs is still standard deffinition, as well as everyones favorite cracked out local bottany show Gardening with Cisco.

I wonder if this will be a new HD channel with only HD content, or just an HD upconverted feed of their normal programming. I wouldn't be surprised if this does not include [Adult Swim]. But then again, who needs to see 12 oz mouse in HD? Rolling Eyes
ManSlayer07

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 12:57 pm Reply with quote
agent007 wrote:
Most Anime in Japan is HD.. or is eventually release/published in some HD channel.
However, don't expect too much since the animation quality influences the broadcast/Bluray disc quality.
I've seen fansubs for the same show in 1280x720 as well as 704x396 and some are barely better whereas some are gorgeous.
AIR and Mushishi would look awesome whereas something like Black Lagoon does not (although one would think.) Sure, the quality is "crisper" but not the massive difference one would notice when compared to live-action shows.

Wow, just wow. Just because a lot of anime nowadays is created in widescreen (16:9) doesn't mean it's high definition. Many of those 720p fansubs are upscaled since there isn't a lot of anime being broadcast in HD in Japan. Air, as you mentioned is a good example. The show doesn't have an HD master (the recent Blu-ray box is upscaled from it's SD source). And Black Lagoon, another title you mentioned, was aired in HD (I'm not sure about the second season though).

Anyway, the Cartoon Network HD news isn't surprising really. Pretty much all channels will be in HD soon.
psychotim

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:03 pm Reply with quote
I think cartoon network is going HD more because they have to. I mean all channels have to go HD before 2009 ( i think thats they year) So I think they are doing it just to get it out of they, not that im complaining. althought I cant really see HD making to much a diffrence with all there shows, but well see coming in the fall.
nooneofconsequence

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:11 pm Reply with quote
I guess the other thing you'd have to take into account is that most people don't even have HD capable TVs to really take advantage of this.
I_AM_L

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:31 pm Reply with quote
But they're cartoons... Shocked
Angel_Trainee

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 5:46 pm Reply with quote
nooneofconsequence wrote:
I guess the other thing you'd have to take into account is that most people don't even have HD capable TVs to really take advantage of this.

Umm what makes a TV HD capable? Anime smile + sweatdrop
Zoe

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:04 pm Reply with quote
Angel_Trainee wrote:

Umm what makes a TV HD capable? Anime smile + sweatdrop

You need two things, the proper support for the resolution and an HD receiver. Some TV's come with a built-in receiver for OTA transmissions, but I'm not sure how common that is. Typically you would have to get an HD box from the cable or satellite company along with a special HD subscription.

If your TV is older than 5 years or so, you probably don't have one.
ManOfRust

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:26 pm Reply with quote
Bruce Lee wrote:
...as well as everyones favorite cracked out local bottany show Gardening with Cisco.

Cisco is scary enough in standard def. Oooh la la! Anime hyper

I do also wonder, though, just how much content they will have to actually take advantage of their HD format. I suppose they can start producing their in house shows in HD, but a lot of those shows seem to have pretty low animation quality already, so is seeing crappy animation in high def really going to be better than seeing it in standard def? I do hope they will be able to get some anime in HD.

I guess we will find out. My current TV is older than some of the members on this forum, so it's getting retired pretty soon in favor of a nice, new LCD HDTV. Then, I just have to figure out how to budget for an upgrade to one of Comcast's HD cable packages and still have something left over for food and rent.
psychotim

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:06 am Reply with quote
Quote:
You need two things, the proper support for the resolution and an HD receiver. Some TV's come with a built-in receiver for OTA transmissions, but I'm not sure how common that is. Typically you would have to get an HD box from the cable or satellite company along with a special HD subscription

Some times they dont need all of that. My parents of a new HD TV(Im so want that one) and they get a lot of the HD channels and they only have a subscription to basic cable. I really find it funny, and they dont understand you I laugh at them. They get all of the basics channel in HD like, NBC, CBS, Fox, ABC, PBS. plus others like TNT, TBS, espn 1 and 2. They even get some movies from On demend.
gamersglory

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:38 am Reply with quote
Ergo proxy in HD on AS
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2