• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Borders Books' Landlords Oppose Auction Timetable

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:53 pm Reply with quote
It's hard for me to sympathize with landlords, but then again maybe I'm just bitter about all the fees and deposits I had to pay to get my new apartment.
potatochobit

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:16 am Reply with quote
business landlords are different
there is a high chance these guys are not going to get paid either way
all the borders here in Dallas TX that closed are now vacant buildings
when the stock market crashes I'm sure all the investors would have liked 'advanced notice' as well, but that is part of risky business

I personally do shop at borders regularly and I did see this coming many years ago. Their business model did not empower the consumer and was mainly created to compete with barnes and nobles. All they had to do was list their products a dollar or two under MSRP and they would have been moving lots of merchandise. instead they mail me weekly 50% off coupons or buy 4 get 1 free which in the end is roughly the same profit margin. The difference is it is very very rare for me to want to buy 5 volumes of a manga at once. But buying one volume, once a week at 8$, that I can commit to. So many times I end up buying nothing until I get my 50% coupon or tag a manga order onto an amazon purchase for other things.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:58 am Reply with quote
Manga wise Borders was pretty good, better than Barnes & Noble in selection.

Otherwise, B&N stores were more consumer friendly and had a better selection of Sci-Fi/Fantasy titles.
nekedo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:11 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:

Otherwise, B&N stores were more consumer friendly and had a better selection of Sci-Fi/Fantasy titles.

I've found that B&N are very snooty, and never offer any help, nor do they act like they have anything in common with their customers. I've always gone out of my way to go to Borders because I like being treated like they actually care about their customers.
Youkai Warrior

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:32 pm Reply with quote
nekedo wrote:
TarsTarkas wrote:

I've found that B&N are very snooty, and never offer any help, nor do they act like they have anything in common with their customers. I've always gone out of my way to go to Borders because I like being treated like they actually care about their customers.

It all depends really. One of the Borders near me never offer any help, and they make it clear they don't care about the customer. Whereas another Borders near me has very good service and are polite to the customer. There is also a Barnes and Noble near me, and so far, they have been the same as the other Borders. So it really depends. Just because one Barnes and Noble was not nice to you, doesn't mean they are all like that. Same goes with Borders. There was one "bad" Borders near me, but there are two other "good" ones. Just because the one was bad, doesn't mean they all were, and they weren't. There was proof.
archaron

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:48 am Reply with quote
Here is some new information I just got emailed on the Borders situation.

Borders Modifies Proposal to Put Liquidators in Driver's Seat :
http://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/by-topic/industry-news/bookselling/article/47984-borders-modifies-proposal-to-put-liquidators-in-driver-s-seat.html
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1