Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sega Reveals 10 More Games for 'Sega Genesis Mini' Console's Japanese Version




Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Greed1914
It's Over 9000!It's Over 9000!


Joined: 28 Oct 2007
Posts: 3285
PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 8:46 am Reply with quote
I assumed Golden Axe would be announced, but Yu-Yu Hakusho? That is a fun surprise.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Silver Kirin



Joined: 09 Aug 2018
Posts: 145
PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 9:18 am Reply with quote
It looks like the Genesis version will include Mega Man the Wily Wars and Street Fighter II too. In the case of Street Fighter II, it seems like a weird choice considering that, unlike the Japanese version, the Genesis controller only has 3 buttons.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Cardcaptor Takato



Joined: 27 Jan 2018
Posts: 1406
PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 10:59 am Reply with quote
It would be great if they could include Yu Yu Hakusho on the US version given how popular video games based on anime franchises have become in the West.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Greed1914
It's Over 9000!It's Over 9000!


Joined: 28 Oct 2007
Posts: 3285
PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 11:20 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
It would be great if they could include Yu Yu Hakusho on the US version given how popular video games based on anime franchises have become in the West.


Yeah, that would be cool. The PS2 fighting game did come over while the series was airing on US TV, complete with a dub back in the day.


Silver Kirin wrote:
It looks like the Genesis version will include Mega Man the Wily Wars and Street Fighter II too. In the case of Street Fighter II, it seems like a weird choice considering that, unlike the Japanese version, the Genesis controller only has 3 buttons.


I'm still trying to figure out why they aren't including the 6-button controller for both versions. I don't think anybody is going to mind having it, and the fact that it's in the Japanese version means that Sega isn't doing it to be as close to the original as possible. Different games makes sense since nostalgia is a major selling point, but I don't see that applying to the hardware.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Northlander



Joined: 10 Feb 2009
Posts: 746
PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 12:19 pm Reply with quote
Of the new list, my guess is that the seven first of the games will be included on the US version too.

As far as controllers go: would it be possible to use original Genesis/Megadrive controllers for it? That might solve the six button controller issue, at least for those who owns/once owned an original Genesis/Megadrive.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Lord Geo



Joined: 18 Sep 2005
Posts: 1682
Location: North Brunswick, New Jersey
PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 12:23 pm Reply with quote
Northlander wrote:
As far as controllers go: would it be possible to use original Genesis/Megadrive controllers for it? That might solve the six button controller issue, at least for those who owns/once owned an original Genesis/Megadrive.


You can't. The Mini uses USB controllers, and the likely reason why the American & European versions don't include 6-buttons is because they're both working with Retro-Bit to release USB controllers that'll be in the Genesis/Mega Drive style. Sega Europe even tweeted out that fact after tweeting about the new game announcements, so the simple answer is that Sega wants people to pay extra to buy those Retro-Bit controllers separately, and since Sega of Japan doesn't seem to be a part of that licensing deal, they can package 6-button controllers with the MD Mini.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
BadNewsBlues



Joined: 21 Sep 2014
Posts: 3717
PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 12:41 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
It would be great if they could include Yu Yu Hakusho on the US version given how popular video games based on anime franchises have become in the West.


Yeah but in spite of the fact that Yu Yu Hakusho was never very popular in the U.S. along with the fact that the game was never released in the states...due to the fact that the anime would not be licensed until about 2001 long after the genesis game came out.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dustythemaverick



Joined: 16 May 2019
Posts: 1
PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 10:20 pm Reply with quote
Here's the list of the third set of games the will be on the U.S. Sega Genesis mini. sega apparently give the list to some popular Youtube channels to reveal today.

Street Fighter II Special Champion Edition
Phantasy Star IV
Golden Axe
Alex Kid in Enchanted Castle
Mega Man The Wily Wars
Sonic Spinball
Vectorman
Ghouls 'N Ghosts
Wonder Boy in Monster World
Beyond Oasis
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Greed1914
It's Over 9000!It's Over 9000!


Joined: 28 Oct 2007
Posts: 3285
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 12:27 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
Northlander wrote:
As far as controllers go: would it be possible to use original Genesis/Megadrive controllers for it? That might solve the six button controller issue, at least for those who owns/once owned an original Genesis/Megadrive.


You can't. The Mini uses USB controllers, and the likely reason why the American & European versions don't include 6-buttons is because they're both working with Retro-Bit to release USB controllers that'll be in the Genesis/Mega Drive style. Sega Europe even tweeted out that fact after tweeting about the new game announcements, so the simple answer is that Sega wants people to pay extra to buy those Retro-Bit controllers separately, and since Sega of Japan doesn't seem to be a part of that licensing deal, they can package 6-button controllers with the MD Mini.


That seems believable. I just saw a post over on IGN about those Retro-Bit controllers, and it seemed awfully convenient that there are already separately licensed controllers filling a seemingly obvious gap in what the system offers.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tenchi



Joined: 03 Jan 2002
Posts: 4256
Location: Ottawa... now I'm an ex-Anglo Montrealer.
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Dustythemaverick wrote:


Street Fighter II Special Champion Edition
Phantasy Star IV
Golden Axe
Alex Kid in Enchanted Castle
Mega Man The Wily Wars
Sonic Spinball
Vectorman
Ghouls 'N Ghosts
Wonder Boy in Monster World
Beyond Oasis


Ooh, I never played the Genesis version of Wonder Boy in Monster World, Ghouls N' Ghosts is probably the best of the launch wave of Genesis games, and Beyond Oasis was a late era Genesis title with really impressive graphics.

I was expecting Sonic the Hedgehog 3 to be announced, but I guess that'll be in the fourth and final title announcement and I wager it'll just be announced as "Sonic 3 and Knuckles".

ADDENDUM: Unpopular opinion time, I'd have preferred Sonic 3D Blast to be the spin-off Sonic game included on the Genesis Mini over Sonic Spinball, though I suppose it might still be included in the fourth announcement.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Northlander



Joined: 10 Feb 2009
Posts: 746
PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
You can't. The Mini uses USB controllers, and the likely reason why the American & European versions don't include 6-buttons is because they're both working with Retro-Bit to release USB controllers that'll be in the Genesis/Mega Drive style. Sega Europe even tweeted out that fact after tweeting about the new game announcements, so the simple answer is that Sega wants people to pay extra to buy those Retro-Bit controllers separately, and since Sega of Japan doesn't seem to be a part of that licensing deal, they can package 6-button controllers with the MD Mini.


I was afraid of that. Oh well.... at least it's only one game that kind of needs the six button pad, right?

Tenchi wrote:
ADDENDUM: Unpopular opinion time, I'd have preferred Sonic 3D Blast to be the spin-off Sonic game included on the Genesis Mini over Sonic Spinball, though I suppose it might still be included in the fourth announcement.

I can't say whether this is an unpopular opinion or not, but I agree with this. I'd take 3D Blast over Spinball any day too. But more than anything, I'm a bit disappointed about how seldom you see a good rendition of the lockon technology offered by Sonic & Knuckles -- more than that again, I think any Genesis collection should include Sonic 3 & Knuckles if they're also going to have Sonic 1 and 2.

Oh, and Wonderboy in Monster World is a damn fine game. If you've tried the newest Wonderboy game, Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom, that game was sort of a conglomeration of this Monster World and the... third, I think? ...Wonderboy game on the Master System: Dragon's Trap.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
BadNewsBlues



Joined: 21 Sep 2014
Posts: 3717
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 7:22 am Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:

I was expecting Sonic the Hedgehog 3 to be announced, but I guess that'll be in the fourth and final title announcement and I wager it'll just be announced as "Sonic 3 and Knuckles".


Well yeah if Sega is able to work out the issues that have led to both games being excluded from recent compilations and rereleases.

Tenchi wrote:

ADDENDUM: Unpopular opinion time, I'd have preferred Sonic 3D Blast to be the spin-off Sonic game included on the Genesis Mini over Sonic Spinball, though I suppose it might still be included in the fourth announcement.


Don't see how that's an unpopular opinion given both games are.....iffy with regards to their reception among fans.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Northlander



Joined: 10 Feb 2009
Posts: 746
PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 12:06 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Tenchi wrote:

I was expecting Sonic the Hedgehog 3 to be announced, but I guess that'll be in the fourth and final title announcement and I wager it'll just be announced as "Sonic 3 and Knuckles".


Well yeah if Sega is able to work out the issues that have led to both games being excluded from recent compilations and rereleases.

I don't see why they haven't, because I have a Sonic collection on the PS2 that has Sonic 3 & Knuckles on it. (As well as a really dumb way to unlock everything not already unlocked from the start.)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Tenchi



Joined: 03 Jan 2002
Posts: 4256
Location: Ottawa... now I'm an ex-Anglo Montrealer.
PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 3:34 pm Reply with quote
I know they're missing from some Genesis compilations like the one on the PSP but Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection on XBox 360 and Playstation 3 also has Sonic the Hedgehog 3 and Sonic & Knuckles. Not to mention the Sonic Classics Collection compilation on the DS.

Sega's pulling out all the stops for the Genesis Mini and, if they can deal with Disney to get Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck for the Illusion games, whatever minor legal obstacles there may be hindering them from including Sonic 3 & Knuckles can probably be overcome. At worst, they can use the music tracks from the PC version of Sonic 3.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BadNewsBlues



Joined: 21 Sep 2014
Posts: 3717
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 8:45 pm Reply with quote
Northlander wrote:

I don't see why they haven't, because I have a Sonic collection on the PS2 that has Sonic 3 & Knuckles on it.


Whatever the problems are, they cropped up long after Sonic Mega Collection which is the game you're citing (and which came out in 2004 for the PS2) and the various other compilations and rereleases that featured both games were released.

We only know there's something up because of apparent attempt to port the games for mobile devices which never happened. We simply don't know the why.

https://lostmediawiki.com/Sonic_The_Hedgehog_3_%26_Knuckles_(cancelled_iOS_port_of_Genesis_platformer;_2014)

Tenchi wrote:

Sega's pulling out all the stops for the Genesis Mini and, if they can deal with Disney to get Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck for the Illusion games, whatever minor legal obstacles there may be hindering them from including Sonic 3 & Knuckles can probably be overcome. At worst, they can use the music tracks from the PC version of Sonic 3.


At the ugliest that'll get the same reaction that The Turtles In Time Remake got due to having to change the original arcade music.....along with being based on the arcade version instead of the Super Nintendo version.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group