• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - Is Wise Man's Grandchild Worth Watching?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Yup, he uses his knowledgeof the modern world to imporve on theisekai magic, the problem a lot of series that do that have is that otherwise the mc acts like a teenager even though he should mentally be in his late 20s if not much older. that makes you forget the rela world knowledge he is bringing.
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 5:41 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
Wait is there really 4 isekai next season?!

Yuuuuuuup. There's Do You Love Your Mom and Her Two-Hit Multi-Target Attacks? ,Maou-sama Retry!, Arifureta - From Commonplace to World's Strongest, and Isekai Cheat Magician. The truck driver who keeps killing all these shmucks must be working overtime
Calsolum

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 6:27 pm Reply with quote
lossthief wrote:
meiam wrote:

Yuuuuuuup. There's Do You Love Your Mom and Her Two-Hit Multi-Target Attacks? ,Maou-sama Retry!, Arifureta - From Commonplace to World's Strongest, and Isekai Cheat Magician. The truck driver who keeps killing all these shmucks must be working overtime

I haven't read Do You Love Your Mom and Her Two-Hit Multi-Target Attacks? but after reading the summary this is either going to be terrible or... maybe not so terrible? Either way, I hope it'll be absurdly entertaining given how ridiculous sounds, though it wouldn't be the first isekai to let me down.
Maou-sama Retry! seems like a really fun ride at least from what I've read from the manga, it's basically overlord except without the rest of Nazarick(for now), oh and the MC isn't obligated to play the role of an evil villain(too hard).
Arifureta ... I don't want to talk about this. It's just... pure wish fulfilment coupled with bad storytelling and edge. Lots of Edge.
Never heard of Isekai Cheat Magician, suppose I'll find out if its good or not next season.

@lossthief
speaking of truck-kun you'd be surprised to know that it's not the truck who decides his contracts but the driver.
There's an excellent parody of concept called Isekai Transporter.
The art isn't exactly the best but its absurdly funny and follows a truck driver who's responsible for locating and then killing *ahem* transporting potential heroes to alternate worlds.
THIS IS THE ANIME ADAPTATION WE NEED.
meiam

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 7:19 pm Reply with quote
lossthief wrote:
meiam wrote:

Oh god...

I mean the mom one at least sounds like it's trying to be it's on thing. Maou-sama... isn't that like the 4th isekai about the mc being the bad guy? Arifureta... /gag reflex, hate those "the world is unfair to you despite you being such a wonderful person". Cheat magician sounds about as vanilla as they can possibly make those.
Norm the genius

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 7:27 pm Reply with quote
Number 6 wrote:
jenthehen wrote:

Quote:
If anyone is even remotely interested in the premise, just watch Familiar of Zero.

Don't go suggesting that because of the "slavery apologia" thing that Nick talks about. You know, Saito was Louise's slave. Don't wanna risk offending people nowadays *rolls eyes*. Wait, that only matters if it's a girl. Nevermind.

HAHAHA! +10.000 Wink
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 8:10 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
lossthief wrote:
meiam wrote:

Arifureta... /gag reflex, hate those "the world is unfair to you despite you being such a wonderful person". .

That's not quite what Arifureta is about. It and Shield Hero share the same general premise of "MC gets dealt a bad hand, is betrayed, and take the experience badly" but Arifureta's goes through a far more sympathetic situation. Naofumi is a petty manchild who just had a false accusation thrown their way and uses that as an excuse to justify being horrible, whereas the MC in Arifureta spoiler[ is thrown into a pit where he gets attacked and mauled by ferocious monsters and is left bleeding and starving, essentially on death's door, for several days before he makes the decision to harden his heart and prioritize his own survival above the needs of others. He's forced to change his personality so that he doesn't die a miserable and pathetic death. And not only that, his newly pragmatic and considerably more heartless character, while it does have it's advantages, isn't something that's continually shilled and praised by the narrative, as later books make quite clear.]

I'd say one is clearly far better than the other. Naofumi's obsession with his own victim complex is hardly, if ever, questioned, and the series always acts like he's actually a really good person while making everyone who is against him either an idiot or evil.. Arifureta never pretends that it's MC is secretly a saint, even on the rare occasions where he does do something genuinely kind, he does genuinely get better, and those that don't agree with his methods or personality aren't necessarily portrayed negatively spoiler[with his teacher being the biggest example. She's a sweet and endlessly compassionate person who doesn't take kindly to his transformation, and not only does he not hold it against her, he actually encourages her to stay as she is because the world needs someone like her.]

Arifureta has some very questionable gags from time to time (which hopefully the anime cuts out), but it's obviously more concerned with having a good time than anything else, as the author has admitted to.. Which is more that can be for Shield Hero's slave apologia and just overall being morally repugnant.
teferi

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 8:37 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Never heard of Isekai Cheat Magician, suppose I'll find out if its good or not next season.

Lots of bloviating about how great the two MCs are followed by them solving every problem easily. Nothing particularly unique about it either.

Quote:
Don't go suggesting that because of the "slavery apologia" thing that Nick talks about. You know, Saito was Louise's slave. Don't wanna risk offending people nowadays *rolls eyes*. Wait, that only matters if it's a girl. Nevermind.

If every other wizard in the series had a human familiar you might have a point but Saitou was an exception and wasn't actually treated like a slave by society.
kotomikun

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 9:54 pm Reply with quote
Number 6 wrote:
Don't go suggesting [Familiar of Zero] because of the "slavery apologia" thing that Nick talks about. You know, Saito was Louise's slave. Don't wanna risk offending people nowadays *rolls eyes*. Wait, that only matters if it's a girl. Nevermind.

I've never watched Zero, but it's essentially a tsundere/harem comedy, right? Saito is the main character. He's her "familiar" and presumably gets knocked around by her (and probably some other girls), which is ostensibly funny because a girl couldn't possibly hurt a guy in real life. Ultimately it's a romance fantasy meant for a male audience, and not some sort of counterpoint to the new slavery-fetish ones, where the protagonist is still male and it's still a romance but they aren't even pretending that the girl has any real power in their relationship.

Many of them probably involve the guy rescuing the girl from slavery, but this isn't much better, since it still puts him in a position of much greater authority, and makes it seem that buying a wife is totally okay as long as you "free" her. In any case, the reason people don't complain about man-slave fetish anime is because there aren't any. A handful of doujins, maybe, but nothing with worldwide popularity. I know this because if a big-budget anime played out those tropes in exactly the same way, but with the genders reversed, the internet-rage would be unimaginable, and unending. And I know that because of the bushels of hate-email people get for criticizing Shield Hero.
RegisterJustForComment

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 10:14 pm Reply with quote
Oggers wrote:
Honestly, I don't understand why the main character had to die and be reincarnated into another world when this story seems like it could have done without that detail. It just seems so pointless. Are people really so desperate for escapism nowadays that all of these stories have to start with getting hit by a truck and reincarnating into yet another generic (power) fantasy world, no matter how little it matters to the plot?

Well, if there's no died and reincarnation, then there will be no OP MC in this anime and only some random ordinary kid get raised by a retired sage who most likely can't even be as great as his sage grandpa.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 11:23 pm Reply with quote
zztop wrote:

Quote:
trans-dimensional reincarnation as your door to the limitless bounds of fantasy, and then proceed to nail your feet to the floor by making everything a video game or making everything high school.

Because they're easier to write

To put some hard numbers to this, the original webnovel got 91 chapters in its first year. And from all I've ever been able to tell, the single most important thing for making serialized online fiction popular is update frequency.

(Arifureta did 123 chapters in its first year, with 56 more in its second year.)
nargun

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 6:27 am Reply with quote
ns
Oggers wrote:
Honestly, I don't understand why the main character had to die and be reincarnated into another world when this story seems like it could have done without that detail. It just seems so pointless.

This is actually a much more interesting question than you might think! There are about a half-dozen really intruiging angles you can explore here:
+ it turns out from the well-documented history of western fsf that "hang on I can just invent my own world with its own history and physics and I don't have to link it to here-and-now" is actually a pretty big step for authors to make; the bulk of early western fantasy is either in fairytale mode or linked through dreams or new continents or what-have-you.

+ the level of theory knowledge to recognise, "this plot element isn't loadbearing and can be eliminated" isn't actually that common. High-school lessons focus on understanding the result of good literature, not on understanding processes to avoid producing bad literature: it's not directly applicable, even if you've paid a lot of attention in high school. Professionals have editors, and you can self-teach, or study creative writing, but otherwise you're reinventing the wheel and may do so badly.

+ literature is a set of dialogues called "genre"; works respond to other works, and the appropriate genre trappings is one of the clues that let you work out what a work is in response to and thus what it's intended to mean in context.

+ the other-world trappings actually ease self-identification with the protagonist for some people, and that improves the value of the work for them even if it diminishes that for other people.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 2:16 pm Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:
I've never watched Zero, but it's essentially a tsundere/harem comedy, right? Saito is the main character. He's her "familiar" and presumably gets knocked around by her (and probably some other girls), which is ostensibly funny because a girl couldn't possibly hurt a guy in real life. Ultimately it's a romance fantasy meant for a male audience, and not some sort of counterpoint to the new slavery-fetish ones, where the protagonist is still male and it's still a romance but they aren't even pretending that the girl has any real power in their relationship.

They are actually somewhat similar, and while there is some [what I'm assuming is intended as] slap stick humor of the girls beating him up, he is treated like shit for a pretty long time. Even once the predictable happens and the main cast start treating him as a person instead of an object, he is still part of a permanently discriminated against caste which is treated like garbage by the higher ranking caste not unlike how humans look down on / abuse the demi-humans in Shield. For a series with such lighthearted art, it is pretty dark in its portrayal of how those who can use magic treat those who can't.

To be fair, I don't think it is necessarily hypocrisy or anything that Zero gets a pass. I think Zero would have gotten a pass with the genders flipped and the slave being the girl. Nobody use to care.

teferi wrote:
If every other wizard in the series had a human familiar you might have a point but Saitou was an exception and wasn't actually treated like a slave by society.

Actually he is. Do you not remember how he was treated for trying to eat at the table with 'people'? The only people who treat him as another person are the rest of the main cast which happens over time. As far as others are concerned, he is an object to be used with no rights. You could maybe say 'oh but the commoners' yet that is exactly the same as Shield's demi-humans.
Phrunicus

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 3:34 pm Reply with quote
Number 6 wrote:
jenthehen wrote:

But the reason here is that the MC uses his knowledge of physics, chemistry, etc..., of his other life to do magic. That is part of the reason he's so powerful. Well, he's still a Gary Stu, either way.

Knight's & Magic did that for "reincarnated MC-kun uses past knowledge of coding to make enormous advances in his new world's magitech"...
partially

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 5:03 pm Reply with quote
I read the first novel for this years ago. It started with a semi-interesting premise of a powerful guy with zero common sense, with the bonus that unlike normally where everyone's oblivious to how stupid MCs are, here they pointed it out. Yet as soon as he leaves the forest it all goes downhill and everyone becomes stupid.
meiam

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 5:46 pm Reply with quote
Phrunicus wrote:
Number 6 wrote:
jenthehen wrote:

But the reason here is that the MC uses his knowledge of physics, chemistry, etc..., of his other life to do magic. That is part of the reason he's so powerful. Well, he's still a Gary Stu, either way.

Knight's & Magic did that for "reincarnated MC-kun uses past knowledge of coding to make enormous advances in his new world's magitech"...

... which makes no freaking sense whatsoever.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3