• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Games - (Re)Make it So

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 2:33 am Reply with quote
Iron Maw wrote:

Except he's not walking anything back. SE never called it episodic in the first place that what so western journalist called. The line was always in parts, Nomura may not even understand episodic even means becasue JP has their own terms for what their doing.

And the interest in the game is as high as it ever been multiple parts or not so I have no idea what you're talking about here. Nomura has created some of SE's best games and sellers so I'm not sure your talking as if that has been bad either.

Okay, enough of this "Japan is different." Yes, it's a country with different cultural norms and quirks than the US. It's not a different planet. Unless he's been living under a rock for the past twenty years, Nomura knows what "episodic gaming" means. And he can try to say "in parts" all he wants, that's episodic.

As for his reputation, Nomura is actually a lot more divisive than you'd expect. Entries to the VII canon like Advent Children and Crisis Core have had a really mixed legacy at best. Heck, people are frequently irritated with his interpretation of Cloud, forgoing his sardonic, jaded wit and just making him a mopey cliche.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2