• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: The Magnificent KOTOBUKI Anime Gets Sequel Novel in June

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HoboSoup

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 11:46 am Reply with quote
I don't really get why? The plot in the series is in my opinion, okay at best. The best thing about the series is the airplane flights & fights in the anime. I guess if they have a story they want to tell that's cool.
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 12:55 pm Reply with quote
A novel can cover world-building in ways that film has a lot of difficulty doing (brilliant directors can pull it off, and it is what separates the brilliant from the merely talented).

One of the things that kept me watching the series was curiousity at how the world of Kotobuki came about --- there were lots of hints dangled here and there, but little in the way of payoff, even though it was pretty clear that there was a lot of background to the events we get to see. So I find the idea of a novel in that setting quite appealing.

While my curiousity was never really rewarded by the series, it was entertaining enough in its own right.
HoboSoup

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 1:46 pm Reply with quote
dm wrote:
A novel can cover world-building in ways that film has a lot of difficulty doing (brilliant directors can pull it off, and it is what separates the brilliant from the merely talented).

One of the things that kept me watching the series was curiousity at how the world of Kotobuki came about --- there were lots of hints dangled here and there, but little in the way of payoff, even though it was pretty clear that there was a lot of background to the events we get to see. So I find the idea of a novel in that setting quite appealing.

While my curiousity was never really rewarded by the series, it was entertaining enough in its own right.

More world building would be great. I'm mainly saying if the novel's writing is about the same quality as the anime's writing, I don't know if the novel would be able to pull me in. The main reason why I ended up watching the anime all the way through, and even enjoyed most of it, was again because I thought the flight animation was really cool. It was the best part of the series for me. The novel obviously won't have animation, and it will be relying on the writing above all else. I hope it's good, I'm just skeptical that it can pull it off.
Aquasakura

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 1:49 pm Reply with quote
dm wrote:

I agree although I think in the case of The MAGNIFICENT Kotobuki, the people in charge of the story could of have explore more of the setting the show takes place in.

So first the anime is gets a manga companion and now this. I would like to read both the manga and the novel being that I enjoy the show. I am hoping there is more focus put on the characters in both the manga and novel then there was in the anime.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Manga
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 2:24 pm Reply with quote
The one thing I'm hoping from all of this with both the manga and now the novel is that they're trying to keep interest in the series to eventually get a second season made. My main interest in the novel would be if they flesh out the girls more as the anime didn't really focus on them individually that much. But I don't know how likely it is this novel will even be released in English.
FukuchiChiisaia

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 8:05 pm Reply with quote
HoboSoup wrote:
I don't really get why? The plot in the series is in my opinion, okay at best. The best thing about the series is the airplane flights & fights in the anime. I guess if they have a story they want to tell that's cool.

This anime truly appeals on niche community, specifically military otaku.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1