• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Famitsu: Switch Outsells Combined Sales of PS4, PS4 Pro in Japan

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 6:30 am Reply with quote
And it only took at least half the time for Nintendo to outsell the PS4 in Japan. I wonder if that's going to give Japanese developers a wake-up call to really consider seriously putting their titles on the Switch.
Aca Vuksa

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 6:53 am Reply with quote
Switch is sure now a mainstream console of Japan right now.
AmpersandsUnited

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 7:00 am Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
And it only took at least half the time for Nintendo to outsell the PS4 in Japan. I wonder if that's going to give Japanese developers a wake-up call to really consider seriously putting their titles on the Switch.

Game development takes years, so we wont see fruition from new developers until 2021 or 2022 at the earliest sadly. But after that, I'm optimistic.
Sekaro

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 8:00 am Reply with quote
OK great! Soooo... how about porting Persona 5 on the Switch so I can finally play the game already Evil or Very Mad
ZodiacBeast

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 8:15 am Reply with quote
Sekaro wrote:
OK great! Soooo... how about porting Persona 5 on the Switch so I can finally play the game already Evil or Very Mad

How about porting all of the non-Sony Megami Tensei games to PS4/PSN so I can play them already?
Sekaro

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 8:18 am Reply with quote
ZodiacBeast wrote:
Sekaro wrote:

How about porting all of the non-Sony Megami Tensei games to PS4/PSN so I can play them already?

It seems we have reached an impasse.... Neutral
John Thacker

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 8:31 am Reply with quote
Quote:
According to Famitsu's research, the Wii sold 7,814,000 units in Japan, and the PlayStation 3 sold 2,780,000 units in Japan.

Those are the numbers for how many each sold in the first 115 weeks, i.e. in the same amount of time that the Switch has been out and sold 8,125,637. Note that the 8,077,756 number for the PS4 is its entire lifetime sales; the similar 115 week number for the PS4 is 2,677,000. (This should pass the sniff test better, as the PS4 obviously has not been three times as successful as the PS3.)
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 9:15 am Reply with quote
I think this is more impressive considering that the Switch hasn't got a redesign, and Dragon Quest XI S, Animal Crossing, Fire Emblem: Three Houses and Pokémon Sword & Shield haven't released yet.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 9:47 am Reply with quote
ZodiacBeast wrote:
Sekaro wrote:

Oh dear god, just get a Switch. Use some Ebay skills and you can get one without a dock in good condition for around $220.
jdnation

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 9:59 am Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:

Outside of smaller devs, the larger ones and their engine pipelines are increasingly devoting themselves to the global market (which is PS4 and Xbone) as the Japanese one shrinks and goes mobile.

PS4 sales weren't anything great in Japan to begin with, so despite Switch reaching and exceeding them recently, it's still not an enticing number, particularly if your titles are looking towards also selling overseas.

So PS4 still has the advantage of the larger global market, and also - hardware power, so unless your title and engine is scalable enough to accommodate Switch or designed with Switch limitations in mind, multiplatform development will be more difficult.

Nintendo also needs to bring the price of its higher capacity carts down and not pass the cost of it on to devs, requiring them to either lose more money, or make half the game downloadable, or not bothering at all.

By end of 2020, PS5 will likely be on the scene along with the next Xbox, plus an increase in streaming services and a very likely move towards UHD blu-ray discs as storage delivery, so developing multiplats for Switch will be even more difficult.

Switch is better off with exclusives, and or smaller titles that don't require max PS4 hardware.
ZodiacBeast

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 11:05 am Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:
ZodiacBeast wrote:
Sekaro wrote:

Oh dear god, just get a Switch. Use some Ebay skills and you can get one without a dock in good condition for around $220.

My bank account will remember that.
Also, nice pick-and-choose at who to gripe at.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 12:22 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:

To be honest I expect a lot of hand wringing and stumbling around trying to make excuses for why they haven't. It's like with the Wii; its success caught everyone with their pants down and then they either scrambled to make something, anything for the system or they made excuses for ignoring a gold mine. Though considering Nintendo has Mario Maker 2, Astral Chain, Fire Emblem: Three Houses, Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3, and no doubt others it's not like they're starved for content
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 12:49 pm Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:

To be honest I expect a lot of hand wringing and stumbling around trying to make excuses for why they haven't. It's like with the Wii; its success caught everyone with their pants down and then they either scrambled to make something, anything for the system or they made excuses for ignoring a gold mine.

A gold mine that still would've had graphically inferior looking games, forced motion controls no one wanted, and ultimately still lead to the WiiU.

While still being a system that was mostly only successful because of it's appeal to casual and non gamers.

darkchibi07 wrote:

I'm guessing (some of them) are waiting for Nintendo to start putting out cartridges of bigger sizes. Along with figuring out how to make ports on the system not look like or run like ass.
Firefly251

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 1:04 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:

a lot has to do with the japanese culture too.

they are active and portable systems sell extremely well there.

but yeah i'd love mroe games to come to Switch and Nintendo consoles all together.
Яeverse

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 7:18 pm Reply with quote
Dont really see Switch outselling PS4 at the end of life, seems its pretty much slowed down and has failed to even make Ninty's own predictions of the past year.

And as someone said above, the next PS5 is coming like next year, so any or all of Switch's appeal will be muted. Further, most of the major Switch games are out so there's little to no compelling new games to get beyond the controversial new PKMN game ths fall. Bad/powered down ports of 3rd party games wont help either.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2