• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Crest of the Stars DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Galap

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 4:23 am Reply with quote
I also agree that the series did not try to paint the Abh as particularly right in everything they do. They're not a good empire. They're not an evil empire. And I like that quite a lot; it points to the fact that on a global (or galactic) level, most things simply... are, without there really being any concerted effort on anyone's part to make them good or bad. They're just a civilization full of different people who are following their own incentives, just like the other civilizations.
RealMTL

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 8:47 am Reply with quote
Watched this one a while back and I was pleasantly surprised at how good it was. I did think that Jinto was too much of a pacifist though.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 9:35 am Reply with quote
Kicksville wrote:
Levonr wrote:
Seriously how can a modern release look worse than a release from over 15 years ago? FUNimation Rolling Eyes

It seems probable this is just one of those "given bad material by license holder and they were stuck with it" situations.

Although, I suppose it could just as well be "also because they didn't try or didn't care". This was one of the fruits of the 2013 Bandai Entertainment Corpse Lootathon, and (speaking for popularity, not quality) is one of the "lesser" titles on their list next to Cowboy Bebop, Outlaw Star, Escaflowne, etc. In fact, I think the Stars shows may the last of that batch, unless there were any others beyond these? So I dunno, seems like they're just kicking it out there, maybe.

I'm sure they're not complaining, since they managed to get nearly all the major titles, and then Sentai picked up Big O and the leftovers. I'm still wondering if Sentai will ever even bother to release Z-Mind, King Gainer, Zegapain, Kurokami, Brain Powered, etc, at this rate.

I could see either scenario, to be honest. It took quite a while for them to get materials for many of those license rescues, so it's conceivable that they got handed lesser materials because that is what was available. I could also see it as being considered a "good enough" situation. As much as some people, myself included, enjoyed the series, it's not going to be a big hit for Funimation, and even if they noticed the materials were lacking, they probably decided it wasn't worth rocking the boat. Not ticking off licensors was the reasoning given years ago when Zac asked them why it had been two years (at the time) since they announced a bunch of Sunrise rescues with no progress on releasing them.

The dub definitely isn't very good, at least not by today's standards. I've been watching some things with old Ocean Group dubs on them, and they tend to be very flat. At some point, they turned a corner a produced really good dubs, but this was before that happened.
Mugen1style

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 9:50 am Reply with quote
My fears have been confirmed I was very excited to buy a BD ver. of Outlaw Star man was I disappointed. Having read the quality issues with Crest of stars I will just stay with my Bandia releases. I always found the so called imperialism aspect of the Ahb to be a contrast of scientific logic to emotional logic. The humankind are portrayed as being ruled by emotion and not really paying any mind to the consequences of this mind set. Where as the Ahb are very logical and for the most part ignore the emotional side of things either is an extreme. Balance is required for a healthy civilization.
Key

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 10:47 am Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
The dub definitely isn't very good, at least not by today's standards. I've been watching some things with old Ocean Group dubs on them, and they tend to be very flat.

Um, it was considered pretty bad by the standards of the time it came out, too. In a review I wrote for the series back in 2003 or 2004, before I came on staff at ANN, I gave the dub an independent D+ grade. (And for the record, I would probably grade the series higher in writing now than I did then.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Barciad

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 12:48 pm Reply with quote
Zeino wrote:

And your proof that it is meant to be a satire and not meant to have it's ideas taken seriously at all beyond you're saying so is what now?

Try watching 'Banner of the Stars', and if you're not laughing by the end of it...
Also, Admiral Spoor. Seriously though, how can a show with a support character like Admiral Beneej Spoor not be one almighty piss take?

On a more substantive level, watching Crest of the Stars is akin to viewing an old BBC drama. Like 'I, Claudius' or 'Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy' for example. The production is cheap and as dated, and the pacing measured. All as one would expect of that era. Yet on the other hand, the writing and performances are without equal.
There is also the collective literary origins that they all share. Hence stories with some actual depth to them.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 1:38 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The dub definitely isn't very good, at least not by today's standards. I've been watching some things with old Ocean Group dubs on them, and they tend to be very flat. At some point, they turned a corner a produced really good dubs, but this was before that happened
I think a lot of this is due to the Crest of the Stars dub being made with the old Wordfit system which I recall Answerman did a column on it once as the reason for the stiffness in a lot of old dubs.
Wrangler

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 3:11 pm Reply with quote
i LOVE the series, all of them except maybe 3rd one, which i wasn't keen on way story was done. Its pity there won't be more outside of that special "lost" episode that coming with series.

I own the dvds, but i'm out of a dvd player now. So i can't justify replacing the ones i have, can't use Sad
xyz

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 8:54 pm Reply with quote
Wrangler wrote:
i LOVE the series, all of them except maybe 3rd one, which i wasn't keen on way story was done. Its pity there won't be more outside of that special "lost" episode that coming with series.

I own the dvds, but i'm out of a dvd player now. So i can't justify replacing the ones i have, can't use :(

You can use your blu-ray player to play the dvds.
Zeino

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 11:01 pm Reply with quote
Barciad wrote:
Zeino wrote:

And your proof that it is meant to be a satire and not meant to have it's ideas taken seriously at all beyond you're saying so is what now?

Try watching 'Banner of the Stars', and if you're not laughing by the end of it...
Also, Admiral Spoor. Seriously though, how can a show with a support character like Admiral Beneej Spoor not be one almighty piss take?

I did watch it and not a giggle at the end. And Spoor is no more ridiculous than some of the more eccentric commanding officers in Legend of The Galactic Heroes. I think is is a case of you mistaking your vision for normality.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 12:50 am Reply with quote
Levonr wrote:
If you have the old Bandai DVD's keep them because these FUNimation DVDs are actually lower quality. FUNi's video is a little more cropped, blurry & with other small artifacts. Its not a massive difference but if you're someone who really wants the best video quality seek out the old Bandai release. Its cheaper too.
Seriously how can a modern release look worse than a release from over 15 years ago? FUNimation Rolling Eyes

I'm sure putting 13+ episodes on 2 discs instead of 4 didn't help. Times may have changed, but the limitations of DVD space haven't.

Kicksville wrote:
I'm sure [Funimation are] not complaining, since they managed to get nearly all the major titles, and then Sentai picked up Big O and the leftovers. I'm still wondering if Sentai will ever even bother to release Z-Mind, King Gainer, Zegapain, Kurokami, Brain Powered, etc, at this rate.

I'd put Scryed up there in Big O's realm as a title that got North American TV exposure, but yeah, the rest increasingly feel like "the dregs" as you go down the tiers:

"New enough, in HD/16:9, should look presentable on BD for modern audiences"
Sacred Seven, Kurokami, Girl Who Leapt Through Space

"Had some degree of respectability and following once upon a time"
Infinite Ryvius, Argentosoma, Overman King Gainer, Zegapain

"What was that show again"?
Betterman, Brain Powered, Z-Mind
Levonr

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 2:46 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:

I'm sure putting 13+ episodes on 2 discs instead of 4 didn't help. Times may have changed, but the limitations of DVD space haven't.

Nah, most releases have 6-7 episodes on a single DVD and still look great. Its not a compression issue. FUNimation's DVD's are just more cropped & blurry for whatever reason.
BlueAlf

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 10:09 am Reply with quote
Just a reminder that J-Novel Club recently started translating the novels. It provides better insight for the story. They also provide pronunciation guide for the Abh language.

Their translation is really good.
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 11:16 am Reply with quote
It's been a really long time since I have gone back and rewatched Crest of the Stars. Does the Funi release add anything the Bandai release missed? I remember this and Banner of the Stars 1 and 2... I think the 3rd OVA was never released and is fansub only.

I've read the Crest trilogy in english thanks to Tokyo Pop. And some of the Banner of the Stars from Fan sites.

The story is pretty diverse and plenty of time is given to universe building.

The Abh empire is interested in the control of Space, the planets that reside within them are mostly left to self govern. This correlates to who the Abh were and to their origins.. not going to post spoilers.. read the books.

As for the dub.. meh IMO.. modern dubs are garbage. There are some exceptions but bar is very low. This dub is dated, but not worth stressing over.

I don't see this series as a Satire even in the slightest way, again I'd recommend getting more familiar with the subject matter before making a broad statement.

Good stuff, I am hoping to be able to read more the novels once J-Novel puts them out.
Key

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 2:12 pm Reply with quote
^
The Banner set is supposed have the OVA, which would make for its first legal Western release. I might buy the set for that alone, since the fansub I've long had for it has awful video quality. I'd expect it to be subbed-only, though.

And again, the quality of the dub for Crest is an exception; it's definitely not indicative of dub quality in general at the time or since then, which is why it irritates me when people use it as an example of the "norm."
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3