• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse Directors Discuss Film's Japanese Anime Influences

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AmpersandsUnited

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 11:04 am Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:
Also, I'm not sure about Miles' sales (but I doubt they're bad, especially since he was the one part of the Ultimate verse that didn't completely fall apart. Probably helped the Spidey side of things was left mostly untouched by Ultimatum AKA one of, if not the, worst comic crossovers ever), but [b[Spider-Gwen was a major success from the get-go, in fact her debut issue was among the highest selling of that year.[/b]

I wouldn't use #1s as any indicator of popularity. It's an old marketing tactic that relaunches always sell way more than usual. Some series make it a habit of relaunched every year to capitalize on those boosted sales. What we can say is both Miles and Gwen's current series are selling in the mid to low 20,000s, which isn't super great to begin with but even worse when you realize they were both just recently relaunched so those are boosted numbers.

Quote:
Also, kinda makes sense for a sequel to focus on Miles since he is the lead. Lord know I'm more excited for that then MCU's Peter who plays off the Avengers well but really wasn't that interesting in his solo film due to basically repeating the whole high school shenanigans AGAIN (which is partially why adult Peter in Spider-verse was AWESOME, seriously Peter graduates so early in the comics, why are we back in high school for the THIRD TIME?!) and just not having much motivation (oh look, let's not mention Uncle Ben at all. So Peter is just doing all this because.....he knows it the right thing to do. Wow, how original). Also doesn't help that as much as I like Ned all they did was rip-off the dynamic between Miles and his roommate Ganke (which is probably the real reason why not much was done with Ganke in the film).

I agree, Homecoming is my least favorite version of Spider-Man because he's more like Spider-Boy and doesn't really have his actual supporting cast with him, just a weird millennialized version of them. But It's hard for me to say Spider-Verse's version is good since we don't really know much about that version since he's a secondary character. Spider-Verse was all over the place and seemed like the kind of movie you'd make after you introduce all the other characters, not your first introduction to them. If I had to pick one version that wasn't the comics, I think the 90s cartoon was the best one.

FilthyCasual wrote:
Civil War didn't mention Uncle Ben because literally every single person alive who's heard of Spider-Man knows the deal with Uncle Ben. There's been two prior Spider-Man series with Uncle Ben. Everyone knows Uncle Ben. His motivation's still Uncle Ben. Hell, his line to Tony about his motivations is along the lines of "If you can do the right thing and you don't, then the bad stuff that happens as a result is on you," which is a blatant reference to how Uncle Ben died. .

That's a very poor excuse considering how different that plays out in various adaptions. Are we to assume Sandman was the one who killed Uncle Ben in this universe just like the Raimi films as well? Homecoming bares very little resemblance to Spider-Man outside of the name considering how much they've changed in order to fit it inside the MCU, so you can't just assume anything about the continuity. What we do see is Peter treats Tony like a father figure and doesn't really mention or care about Uncle Ben at all. Peter and Tony were the same age and had a bit of a antagonizing relationship with one another so seeing them like Father and Son was just very creepy and weird to me.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 4:20 pm Reply with quote
j_plex wrote:

The chances of Sony playing their cards right are next to nothing. I could go on an anti-Sony rant but I will just summarize it with this: it wasn't that long ago when Sony was more prominent than Apple, Google and Samsung combined. Look at them now.

Hey if you make bad investments and business decisions over a period of time you'll be in a bad way too.

GeorgeC wrote:

Disney replaced the shows they cancelled with far inferior series with worse animation and writing.

Yeah Ultimate Spider-Man actually had good animation in it's first few seasons, definitely better than the 90's Spider-Man cartoon that people actually (still) hold up as one of the two standards of comic book to animation adaptations (despite the show being infamous for a myriad of reasons).Whereas the writing was a mixed bag the funny part is that he people who whined about the show being too lighthearted and comical are the same ones who whined about the Snydervese being too dark and cynical.

GeorgeC wrote:

Most of them don't last past two seasons and they don't get written up as well as most of the DC animated shows for a reason...

Their season count isn't unusual to be fair, BTAS for all the hype and and iconography it has was only 2 seasons long when it originally aired. As for why these shows aren't held in the same regards as the DC animated shows. That can easily be explained by the fact that fans of these cartoons are a bit too finicky and expect every show to be like whatever show they watched as a kid and still like as an adult instead of judging the show's on their own merits.

j_plex wrote:

But Sony would actually have to be smart to realize that. But as we are talking about a company that has done a much worse job turning their video game franchises into successful movies and TV shows than Nintendo, Capcom and Sega

I'm confused by this, they're worse at turning their video game franchises into successful movies and TV shows than

Nintendo who allowed the production of The Super Mario Bros. movie which is still the standard of bad video game to film adaptations.

Capcom who pimped out Street Fighter to be made as a corny saturday morning cartoon, a weak 29 episode anime, a nicely animated but still sub-par oav which would be followed by a fugly looking OAV that had nothing to do with the previous OAV, two live actions movies that weren't any good. Then of course you had the awful Darkstalkers cartoon that was made for the U.S., a forgettable Viewtiful Joe anime along with the live action Residen Evil movies which while successful notoriously like some of the other stuff takes a few too many liberties with the source material, in addition to the upcoming Monster Hunter movie which the jury is still out on.

and Sega whose put out a string of Sonic cartoons most of which have not aged terribly well in addition to a live action movie which already looks like it's going to replace Super Mario Bros. for worst live action adaptation of a video game (and of course that Sakura Wars anime).

They're bad because they're only contribution is the Ratchet & Clank film which while not bad itself underpeformed to such an extent that not only did it not recoup it's budget but in effect killed the Sly Cooper film?
FLCLGainax

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 5:49 pm Reply with quote
In the article's photo of Peni, I can kind of see a resemblence to Satsuki from My Neighbor Totoro... if she was aged up.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 6:55 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:

The chances of Sony playing their cards right are next to nothing. I could go on an anti-Sony rant but I will just summarize it with this: it wasn't that long ago when Sony was more prominent than Apple, Google and Samsung combined. Look at them now.

Hey if you make bad investments and business decisions over a period of time you'll be in a bad way too.

GeorgeC wrote:

Disney replaced the shows they cancelled with far inferior series with worse animation and writing.

Yeah Ultimate Spider-Man actually had good animation in it's first few seasons, definitely better than the 90's Spider-Man cartoon that people actually (still) hold up as one of the two standards of comic book to animation adaptations (despite the show being infamous for a myriad of reasons).Whereas the writing was a mixed bag the funny part is that he people who whined about the show being too lighthearted and comical are the same ones who whined about the Snydervese being too dark and cynical.

GeorgeC wrote:

Most of them don't last past two seasons and they don't get written up as well as most of the DC animated shows for a reason...

Their season count isn't unusual to be fair, BTAS for all the hype and and iconography it has was only 2 seasons long when it originally aired. As for why these shows aren't held in the same regards as the DC animated shows. That can easily be explained by the fact that fans of these cartoons are a bit too finicky and expect every show to be like whatever show they watched as a kid and still like as an adult instead of judging the show's on their own merits.

j_plex wrote:

But Sony would actually have to be smart to realize that. But as we are talking about a company that has done a much worse job turning their video game franchises into successful movies and TV shows than Nintendo, Capcom and Sega

I'm confused by this, they're worse at turning their video game franchises into successful movies and TV shows than

Nintendo who allowed the production of The Super Mario Bros. movie which is still the standard of bad video game to film adaptations.

Capcom who pimped out Street Fighter to be made as a corny saturday morning cartoon, a weak 29 episode anime, a nicely animated but still sub-par oav which would be followed by a fugly looking OAV that had nothing to do with the previous OAV, two live actions movies that weren't any good. Then of course you had the awful Darkstalkers cartoon that was made for the U.S., a forgettable Viewtiful Joe anime along with the live action Residen Evil movies which while successful notoriously like some of the other stuff takes a few too many liberties with the source material, in addition to the upcoming Monster Hunter movie which the jury is still out on.

and Sega whose put out a string of Sonic cartoons most of which have not aged terribly well in addition to a live action movie which already looks like it's going to replace Super Mario Bros. for worst live action adaptation of a video game (and of course that Sakura Wars anime).

They're bad because their only contribution is the Ratchet & Clank film which while not bad itself underpeformed to such an extent that not only did it not recoup it's budget but in effect killed the Sly Cooper film?[/quote]
Rai The Noblesse

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:49 am Reply with quote
japanese animations barely even get mentioned at the Oscars..., but US animations inspired by animes win .. barf
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2