• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Hollywood Reporter: Sony Launches PlayStation Productions to Produce Films, TV Shows

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aca Vuksa

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 9:48 am Reply with quote
Wow, this is nice! I can hardly wait on what kind of films they will produce though.
Hatsu95

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 9:55 am Reply with quote
God of War movie pls
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 10:09 am Reply with quote
I remember when Microsoft did this and pulled the plug when they realized it made no sense. I’m wondering if they’ll come to the same conclusion.
Super_M

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 10:15 am Reply with quote
Problem is people play video games mainly for gameplay not for plot. They will be needed people who can translate video games to new format.
Aphasial
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 10:25 am Reply with quote
Super_M wrote:
Problem is people play video games mainly for gameplay not for plot. They will be needed people who can translate video games to new format.

Well, he basically does mention that in the quote: Don't try to re-tell an 80 hour story in 90-150 minutes, do something better suited for getting the ethos across.

I think this works really well for a couple of reasons: Keeping production in-house with Sony Pictures removes a lot of external pressure (and games are used to slipping anyway lol), and I imagine (from all the cut-scenes we see in games nowadays) that there are a fair number of folks working on current games who are kind of itching for an opportunity to move to a feature length or mini series scale production. Such talent (especially among first party IP and third party licenses) deserves a chance to grow, and even if this never becomes a MAJOR thing, it'll help bring new talent into the industry.
Dicku-kun

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 10:34 am Reply with quote
Can't wait for Knack:The Movie!
EricJ2

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 10:44 am Reply with quote
Super_M wrote:

Yes, but wasn't one of the reasons "Final Fantasy: the Spirits Within" tanked that fans thought it didn't have as GOOD a plot as FFVII? (Or, really, any original plot?)
It's a balance, if done right--"Street Fighter II" didn't have an elaborate plot in the arcades, but it had identifiable enough characters to give us a movie, and "Prince of Persia" had so much cinematic backstory-plot, it was easy to overlook reproducing the gameplay in the movie.

Besides, that's getting away from the fact that we're basically getting "Playstation Studios" because of other game companies who were holding off and waiting to see whether audiences would actually go to Detective Pikachu.
And now that they found out audiences are, (starter pistol!) theyyyy're off!

Up to this point, it had just been overeager software-developer companies who wanted to make their own vanity home-movie tie-ins of "Assassin's Creed", "Hitman" and "Ratchet & Clank" for a little brandname attention.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 11:10 am Reply with quote
It looks like Sony read the memes about anime vs Netflix productions and thought they could do better. The problem is that the people that get hired to make the adaptations rarely understand why the games were loved and end up making hollow imitations that even disappoint fans. A good adaptation of Shadow of the Colossus would be amazing but most likely Sony will simply repeat the same mistakes that Netflix has made.
veemonjosh

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 11:20 am Reply with quote
Dicku-kun wrote:
Can't wait for Knack:The Movie!

Here comes the money!
faboo95

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 11:41 am Reply with quote
Can't wait how much of the content will be "censored"
jdnation

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 11:42 am Reply with quote
I hope that this also means more high end CG animation as well as anime for stuff from Japan and possibly working with 3rd party IP.

Like taking inspiration from Love Death + Robots and looking into a variety of media. From full length features to shorts.

So we can get stuff like a 2D Gravity Rush anime, a live action Uncharted, a CG God of War, and even leveraging 3rd parties for more things like a Silent Hill TV series, or Nier Automata CG movie.

I think Sony is making these moves to tie into their grander plans for a PlayStation Streaming service that can be both game streaming as well as media all in one. Which ties into the recent partnership for Microsoft's Azure cloud services.

So despite what they say, this will mainly be aimed at the PlayStation audience primarily.

The Netflix of games everyone is going for won't just be limited to games, but Sony will boost the appeal of streaming by adding multimedia. This is an advantage they have over Microsoft and Google. For the same cost you can stream the spiderman game and watch the spiderman movies and animated films. I think that Disney will have to let Sony keep Spiderman MCU stuff while it pulls out from Netflix.
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 2:25 pm Reply with quote
With the success of the Jurassic franchise, I read this article and would love the idea if Dino Crisis were to make a comeback of some kind.
#Satou

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 2:47 pm Reply with quote
This sound too good to be true, but I hope they deliver something very well done, solent hill can be a good TV series.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 3:39 pm Reply with quote
Super_M wrote:
Problem is people play video games mainly for gameplay not for plot.

Gee I wonder why a lot of people still complain and whine about FFXIII or KH3.

Chrono1000 wrote:
It looks like Sony read the memes about anime vs Netflix productions and thought they could do better. The problem is that the people that get hired to make the adaptations rarely understand why the games were loved and end up making hollow imitations that even disappoint fans.

Except here's the problem with your argument though the Castlvania adaptation was never going to be a 1:1 adaptation of the game's for 1, 2 alot of the storytelling and characterization of the game's themselves is shallow enough to where anyone adapting the story is going to have to make changes to made it palatable in another format.

There's also the fact that it's successful even in spite of some griping of fans who of course were never going to be truly happy with the end product.

Chrono1000 wrote:

A good adaptation of Shadow of the Colossus would be amazing but most likely Sony will simply repeat the same mistakes that Netflix has made.

Shadow of Colossus would itself need some changes to be more than just a story about a guy going around slaughtering giants in attempt to save his lover.

EricJ2 wrote:

Yes, but wasn't one of the reasons "Final Fantasy: the Spirits Within" tanked that fans thought it didn't have as GOOD a plot as FFVII? (Or, really, any original plot?)
It's a balance, if done right--"Street Fighter II" didn't have an elaborate plot in the arcades, but it had identifiable enough characters to give us a movie,

A movie that for the record made

- Ryu and Ken conmen
- Made Balrog a good guy (who was also Chun-Li's news crew)
- Made Zangief and Dee Jay members of Shadowloo.
- Turned Chun-Li into a news reporter.
- Made Guile a member of a NATO like organization and also made him the main character.
- Essentially got rid of the tournament aspect synonymous with the SF games.
- Made Blanka into Guile's friend.

Even with the characters identifiable they still went out of their way to weirdly change their roles.

EricJ2 wrote:

Up to this point, it had just been overeager software-developer companies who wanted to make their own vanity home-movie tie-ins of "Assassin's Creed", "Hitman" and "Ratchet & Clank" for a little brandname attention.

Seem kind of redundant when everyone knows what Assassin's Creed is.....kind of less so for Hitman and R&C.
Sir Daniel Fortesque

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 3:48 pm Reply with quote
inFAMOUS tv series would be awesome.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3