• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Game of Thrones' George R. R. Martin Has Consulted on Japanese Game

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
meruru

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 8:43 pm Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
johnnysasaki wrote:
he seems pretty busy for someone who should just finish those damn books already...he knows he's at a age where he can't just take his time to fool around,right?

Like that makes you any more entitled to his works.

His ball, his court.

Uh, no, both mindsets need to stop.

Neil Gaiman once said, "Martin is not your b****." Fair enough.....but we're not his either.

If Martin had been focused on books 6 and 7 this whole time, fair enough, even if it's crazy that it would take a decade or more to write a single book. He needs to learn to stop thinking he needs to perfect the first draft (like, does he know how drafts work?) which is evident when he met Stephen King and couldn't seem to understand how King just writes without worrying so much and revises later.

But that's not what happened. He's written a prequel/history book, is working on another, spent time working on the show occasionally, and now this. Like, come on. Furthermore, it's not just rude to the book fans, but also his own publishing company. You know how we laugh when we see that agent constantly try to get in touch with Shigure to get his manuscript? Well, IRL it wouldn't be that funny, the publishing company expects Martin to focus on what they're waiting on and it feels like he just gets to do whatever he wants. So heaven forbid he get some fan pushback. Death threats and full toxicity aren't acceptable, but some reasonable criticism is not out of line.

No matter how polite you say it, criticizing for being slow is completely pointless. Since when has more pressure helped the creative process go faster? Or, he could let the quality drop in the interest of finishing, but oh, wait, everyone got mad at HBO when they did that.

Anyways, I'm over here not really caring either way because I'm already of the opinion his books aren't actually all that good. Why consult him on a video game? It'll have a pretty engrossing grimdark atmosphere, but it will also just meander pointlessly for 1000+ hours.
steelmirror

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 10:18 pm Reply with quote
meruru wrote:
It'll have a pretty engrossing grimdark atmosphere, but it will also just meander pointlessly for 1000+ hours.
Look, my RDR2 playthrough is not the issue here.

I would love more creative interaction between big US content creators and big Japanese ones. I feel like both Hollywood and anime/Japanese media are in ruts of their own making, but they are such completely different ruts that getting inspiration from each other might be a cool way of shaking loose something new. Lots of my favorite stories were the result of serious and obvious cultural cross-pollination: Avatar the Last Airbender, Blood Blockade Battlefront, My Hero Academia, The Matrix, that one episode of Gravity Falls with the yandere waifu...

I'll be keeping an eye out for whatever comes of this collaboration, hope it's good!
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 11:47 pm Reply with quote
I'm sure his publishers have gotten money from HBO, too, they'll be fine.

I wouldn't be surprised if the popularity of the "filler arc" of his property contributed to his writer's block, and if his fans back off and give him some time now that the show's off the air, he'll be able to write again.
AmpersandsUnited

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 12:05 am Reply with quote
Maybe George R. R. Martin had the wind from his sails taken from him. A Dance with Dragons came out only a few months after the TV show premiered. Maybe he realizes the show ended up eclipsing the books and people care more about HBO's version than his own and that demotivated him. People are always going to associate his work with HBO's actors and all the changes they made to his books. Similar pop culture media like Lord of the Rings and Marvel movies have also taken over from their source material and are treated as the default version of those works in pop culture now as well. I could see that being quite a bit demoralizing to a creator.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 7:07 am Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:

Neil Gaiman once said, "Martin is not your b****." Fair enough.....but we're not his either.

Yeah if you're continuing to follow the works even while being aware of how it's been drawn out you kinda are. If this were like the stupidity with Duke Nukem Forever where you had people preordering the game when it was announced way back in 97 then that be understandable but simply complaining about Martin taking his sweet time to finish up something that no one's pre bought just seems a bit problematic to me.

doctordoom85 wrote:

If Martin had been focused on books 6 and 7 this whole time, fair enough, even if it's crazy that it would take a decade or more to write a single book. He needs to learn to stop thinking he needs to perfect the first draft

Given the huge amount of asshurt the TV series eventually got regarding dropped or rushed plot lines I would think he would.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 8:49 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
doctordoom85 wrote:

If Martin had been focused on books 6 and 7 this whole time, fair enough, even if it's crazy that it would take a decade or more to write a single book. He needs to learn to stop thinking he needs to perfect the first draft

Given the huge amount of asshurt the TV series eventually got regarding dropped or rushed plot lines I would think he would.

FIRST DRAFT. You don't try to nail the first draft completely, it's why the second, third, etc. drafts exist in the first place. But I don't think Martin fully appreciates this. It feels like he's trying to perfect the first draft which is not a generally reasonable way to write.
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 5:46 pm Reply with quote
"Since when has more pressure helped the creative process go faster?"

Nintendo: "Make a sequel to Ocarina of Time in one year"

Result: Best 3D Zelda game.

Not all pressure is good, but good art is often made under pressure. OT Star Wars was intense pressure, prequels and sequels were not.

As for GRRM taking forever, I am completely free to voice my concerns of him taking forever, and he is free to not finish. If I ask you a question in the forum and you respond, you may expect a response and I may not provide.

It is a courtesy thing.

He really should (doesn't have to) get moving on that. I think the longer it goes on the more annoyed we'll all be if it is merely mediocre. "You delayed a decade just for something average?"

Why not chop the next two books into 3-4 smaller books and work on them in more digestible chunks? Maybe that fixed ending he has just can't work and he should let the characters 'grow'. He says that is his writing style. Let the characters find their own endings without trying to force a conclusion. By the time he gets there this might be for the best.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 9:59 pm Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:
Uh, no, both mindsets need to stop.

If Martin had been focused on books 6 and 7 this whole time, fair enough, even if it's crazy that it would take a decade or more to write a single book. He needs to learn to stop thinking he needs to perfect the first draft (like, does he know how drafts work?) which is evident when he met Stephen King and couldn't seem to understand how King just writes without worrying so much and revises later.

But that's not what happened. He's written a prequel/history book, is working on another, spent time working on the show occasionally, and now this. Like, come on. Furthermore, it's not just rude to the book fans, but also his own publishing company. You know how we laugh when we see that agent constantly try to get in touch with Shigure to get his manuscript? Well, IRL it wouldn't be that funny, the publishing company expects Martin to focus on what they're waiting on and it feels like he just gets to do whatever he wants. So heaven forbid he get some fan pushback. Death threats and full toxicity aren't acceptable, but some reasonable criticism is not out of line.

You're arguing semantics here. I understand your love for the novels just as much as anyone else here but unless Martin himself has a legally binding obligation to finish books 6 and 7 within a reasonable timeframe, any form of criticism directed at him will be pissing in the wind at best.

Martin doesn't owe us a deadline whether you like it or not and quite frankly, I've seen enough of this crap being directed at J.K. Rowling over the years which made me feel bad not only as a fan of her works, but as a fan of literature. Obnoxious attitudes are self-fulfilling at best and doesn't get the ball rolling for either side here unless you think Martin himself will stop in these forums, read our posts and hang his head in shame for keeping the fans in limbo, which he won't!
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 1:48 pm Reply with quote
KabaKabaFruit wrote:

Martin doesn't owe us a deadline whether you like it or not and quite frankly, I've seen enough of this crap being directed at J.K. Rowling over the years which made me feel bad not only as a fan of her works, but as a fan of literature. Obnoxious attitudes are self-fulfilling at best and doesn't get the ball rolling for either side here unless you think Martin himself will stop in these forums, read our posts and hang his head in shame for keeping the fans in limbo, which he won't!

23 years
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 9:19 pm Reply with quote
Nordhmmer wrote:
23 years

So be it.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 9:31 pm Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:

FIRST DRAFT. You don't try to nail the first draft completely, it's why the second, third, etc. drafts exist in the first place. But I don't think Martin fully appreciates this. It feels like he's trying to perfect the first draft which is not a generally reasonable way to write.

Well given the benefit of hindsight and knowing how he paces himself would anyone want him to do multiple drafts in the first place?

H. Guderian wrote:

Nintendo: "Make a sequel to Ocarina of Time in one year"

Result: Best 3D Zelda game.

Yeah I don't know many people who rank Majora's Mask higher than Ocarina of Time....especially when MM weirdly jettisoned characters like Zelda from the narrative and had a plot that while not bad by any means felt a bit of step back from OoT.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2