• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Made in Abyss: Wandering Twilight

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kotomikun

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 4:08 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
While this does remove a lengthy sequence where Riko has to fend for herself while Reg is unconscious, that content was easily among the most expendable parts of the last few episodes. The removal is handled seamlessly enough that someone who hasn't seen the TV series would not know that it was missing. The same can be said for the removal of the other most expendable scene, which involved one of the orphans falling ill back up in Orth.

I haven't seen the movie version, but I wouldn't call those parts expendable. The first one is basically the only part of this section of the story where Riko does anything on her own (both to establish that she can do some stuff without Reg, and that having Reg around is still essential), and the second is likely to be important later since it reveals that spoiler[the mysterious "birthday disease" is entirely caused by the Abyss, and can be cured only by stepping off the island].

Hadn't heard that the sequel to the series is going to be a movie, though. Guess they're pulling a "Rebellion" on us. Hopefully it won't end up stalled indefinitely afterward...
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 4:34 pm Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:
I haven't seen the movie version, but I wouldn't call those parts expendable. The first one is basically the only part of this section of the story where Riko does anything on her own (both to establish that she can do some stuff without Reg, and that having Reg around is still essential), and the second is likely to be important later since it reveals that spoiler[the mysterious "birthday disease" is entirely caused by the Abyss, and can be cured only by stepping off the island].

But weren't both those anime-original and not present in the manga?

Quote:
Hadn't heard that the sequel to the series is going to be a movie, though. Guess they're pulling a "Rebellion" on us. Hopefully it won't end up stalled indefinitely afterward...

First the author has to produce some new material. There still isn't enough even for a second new movie...
danpmss

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
When I reviewed the first compilation movie, I extensively praised the film for its editing choices. That praise not only continues into this movie, but the editing may have even improved. To keep the length down to around 100 minutes, the bulk of episode 9 is excised. While this does remove a lengthy sequence where Riko has to fend for herself while Reg is unconscious, that content was easily among the most expendable parts of the last few episodes. The removal is handled seamlessly enough that someone who hasn't seen the TV series would not know that it was missing. The same can be said for the removal of the other most expendable scene, which involved one of the orphans falling ill back up in Orth. A snippet of Riko's fever dream while she is unconscious was also removed, but this was completely replayed in a later scene anyway.

Quote:
Any comments about the technical merits of the film would be just a repeat of what I said about the first movie, so I will just add that this continuation is vastly more graphic and does not do anything to lessen concerns about the inappropriate framing of young characters. (Again, I did not feel that the relevant scenes were aiming for titillation based on the way director Kojima presented the scenes, but your mileage will vary.)

Well, you were talking about those cuts being the ones that were expendable, I think the sequence were Nanachi is teasing Reg about being "interested" in Riko's pee and blood soaked clothes, or the one they go to the hotsprings only for them to have our kid protagonists naked together and Reg having a boner to Riko's body, to which our furry kid Nanachi replies that she felt his boner while he was in contact with her as well (yeah, totally not titillation of any kind, right....?), those were the far bigger offenders that could easily be cut without anything of value being lost.

I didn't see this movie yet, but I am current with the manga and watched the whole anime series, therefore I don't really know if they cut those (but if they would had done so, I think it would probably have been mentioned, since it was quite the hot topic in the anime discussion in here back when it aired). Just to be sure then, did they?
kotomikun

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
But weren't both those anime-original and not present in the manga?

I stopped reading the manga after about ten pages because of you-probably-know-what, so I'll have to take your word for it on that. But even so, those seem like the wrong things to cut. (Especially given the options mentioned above, which are not only unimportant plot-wise, but also unpleasant.) Without the main part of episode 9, Riko--supposedly the main character--does virtually nothing for this entire movie. Unless they also added some stuff that wasn't mentioned in the review.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 6:50 pm Reply with quote
I want to watch these compilation movies. Even though I really like the tv series, it could have used some editing here and there. I hope Sentai releases them on disc.

kotomikun wrote:
Hadn't heard that the sequel to the series is going to be a movie, though.

ANN reported on it, but the news flew under the radar. I would not be surprised if many people are finding about it from this review.
Key

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 6:55 pm Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:
I stopped reading the manga after about ten pages because of you-probably-know-what, so I'll have to take your word for it on that. But even so, those seem like the wrong things to cut. (Especially given the options mentioned above, which are not only unimportant plot-wise, but also unpleasant.) Without the main part of episode 9, Riko--supposedly the main character--does virtually nothing for this entire movie. Unless they also added some stuff that wasn't mentioned in the review.

No, she doesn't wind up doing much in the movie beyond spoiler[vastly improving the quality of Reg and Nanachi's cooking when she wakes up)].

And yes, the pee and penis references were kept. They would have been difficult to snip out without affecting surrounding material, wouldn't have saved much time, and I didn't find them inappropriate anyway. I have never seen the series (at least in anime form, anyway) as crossing from innocent juvenile attitudes about nakedness and bodily functions and into lolicon/shotacon territory. I definitely understand the sensitivity on the matter, as some stuff coming out of Japan genuinely does go there, but it is possible to have purely innocent content of this nature and I feel that Kojima has done well to keep it to that level regardless of what the source manga shows.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
meiam

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 7:19 pm Reply with quote
Yeah I understand why they cut floor 3 (I think it was the 3rd), but I think that was a very good episode and would have liked if the series had more like it, where the character actually get to go on an adventure in an intriguing setting (honestly if they needed to cut content they could have axed the entirety of the training sequence on the 2nd floor and it wouldn't have caused a single issue).

Is "A snippet of Riko's fever dream while she is unconscious was also removed" the time when spoiler[Riko get to "talk" with Mitty and she get the story essentially tell you that they're doing the right thing by killing Mitty? I hope so because I think that was a black tar on an otherwise very strong arc. The emotional impact of dealing with people in a coma/vegetative state is that you can never know if they actually want to die and that's something you're going to carry for the rest of your life. By having the shoe just casually tell you that everything is okay, it rob most of the emotional impact and make this situation needlessly distant from real life.]
Key

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 8:13 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
Is "A snippet of Riko's fever dream while she is unconscious was also removed" the time when spoiler[Riko get to "talk" with Mitty and she get the story essentially tell you that they're doing the right thing by killing Mitty? ]

I think you're remembering more being there than actually was there.

The part I was talking about is a relatively short scene which is repeated fully in episode 13 (albeit with Riko's narration) when Riko is talking about her experience while unconscious.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Oggers

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 8:58 pm Reply with quote
Isn't Nanachi's gender supposed to be ambiguous?
kotomikun

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 12:38 am Reply with quote
Oggers wrote:
Isn't Nanachi's gender supposed to be ambiguous?

Yes, but only according to a Twitter post by the manga author. Even with that, we don't know if Nanachi was born genderless, identifies as that, has a gender but keeps it secret, or what.

So far in the anime it hasn't been addressed, and since someone had to ask what Nanachi's gender is, presumably the manga doesn't bring it up either. Most people who don't know that bit of trivia assume Nanachi is female, for whatever reason.
danpmss

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 2:47 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
kotomikun wrote:

No, she doesn't wind up doing much in the movie beyond spoiler[vastly improving the quality of Reg and Nanachi's cooking when she wakes up)].

And yes, the pee and penis references were kept. They would have been difficult to snip out without affecting surrounding material, wouldn't have saved much time, and I didn't find them inappropriate anyway. I have never seen the series (at least in anime form, anyway) as crossing from innocent juvenile attitudes about nakedness and bodily functions and into lolicon/shotacon territory. I definitely understand the sensitivity on the matter, as some stuff coming out of Japan genuinely does go there, but it is possible to have purely innocent content of this nature and I feel that Kojima has done well to keep it to that level regardless of what the source manga shows.

I rewatched the parts covered by this movie, and it really wouldn't be a problem to even include those two parts, while still being slightly over 2 hours of duration or even a bit less, since there's expositional narration/flashbacks here and there at the beginning of some episodes that could also be (they likely were) trimmed at ease.

For the sake of narrative flow, I guess you could say the side-story about the birthday thing could be cut as it would legitimately bring the pacing down. But that one is actually kinda important, so I would say they will likely include at the beginning of the next movie or later on, if they really want them to act as standalones of their anime counterpart.

In that case already, the movie wouldn't go for more than 2 hours and the good additions from ep 9 would still be maintained.

Being for specific regarding that, Episode 9 (the third layer) was considered by many a very welcome adaptation expansion for the manga's original content, and if I recall correctly, the author himself wrote on twitter that it was made to add more substance to things there were just skimmed through in the manga, particularly a better character building for Riko, correct me if I'm wrong. Therefore adds to their adventure experience and to Riko's characterization, not to mention spoiler[it has a much better nod to something that will happen in the Bondrew arc coming next, unlike the manga, another thing the author mentioned on his twitter, I'm pretty sure].

Now, about the other scenes I've mentioned, let's be real, those scenes are easily cuttable (and actually expendable) by any competent editor, I did so myself and I'm not even that good, for my marathon watching of this series with some people once the bluray came by.

One is barely a phrase that comes by as Reg was having a flashback in looking at the field, and the other is a full 3 minutes sequence that serves nothing more than to give us an uncomfortable RegxRiko moment for people who like a more sexual interaction in their puppy love romances (and yeah, no, I will have to disagree, I can't really see that scene with other eyes, it's blatant, and the overall content of the manga shows the mangaka's own "preferences" regarding that kind of thing quite well, it wasn't made with pure intentions and the director could at best make some parts not as obviously fetish-fueled as the original, but I digress).

Imo, these only drag down the quality of an otherwise excellent story, and were minor things that could actually be skipped instead of taking away parts that in the contrary, add more substance to it. They even had a good time-stamp regardless of them wanting or not to cut anything at all (2 hours is more or less the common rule for these movie compilations anyway), so yeah, I'm just disappointed they missed this opportunity and instead took away good and significant content.

Anyway, I would just be repeating myself saying anything else.
meiam

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 8:34 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
meiam wrote:
Is "A snippet of Riko's fever dream while she is unconscious was also removed" the time when spoiler[Riko get to "talk" with Mitty and she get the story essentially tell you that they're doing the right thing by killing Mitty? ]

I think you're remembering more being there than actually was there.

The part I was talking about is a relatively short scene which is repeated fully in episode 13 (albeit with Riko's narration) when Riko is talking about her experience while unconscious.

That sound like that's the one, spoiler[with the eye rubbing and everything, where the show confirm that Mitty well and truly died when the big question was whether or not Reg incinerator was going to be able to kill, Mitty since everything else failed, instead of just leaving her in an even more debilitating state (sentient dust?).]
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 8:48 am Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:

Agreed on both counts.

Blanchimont wrote:
First the author has to produce some new material. There still isn't enough even for a second new movie...

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but IIRC the TV anime or the first two movies cover until around chapter 26 of the manga, or thereabouts. There are at least 50 chapters of the manga released. I may be slightly off with those numbers but they should be pretty close, and that implies there is plenty of content ready to adapt.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 9:22 am Reply with quote
Indeed, I am not full up to date there is at least one full, good arc; i actually have not paid much attention to the anime, so I tought this review was about the movie covering said arc.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 10:14 am Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:
Most people who don't know that bit of trivia assume Nanachi is female, for whatever reason.

In the anime in spoiler[the flashback Nanachi acts and kind of looks like a girl]. Assuming that she is a girl is not far fetched.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2