• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: AnimeNEXT Staff Launch Investigation Into Sexual Misconduct Allegations Against Former Con

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 9:16 am Reply with quote
King Pickle the Wise wrote:
I've never heard anything about Anime Boston. Googling it shows CrunchyRoll sponsored it this year which seems like a big sponsorship deal. Is there something more than that?

Anime Boston is one of the largest and most important anime conventions in North America. It was founded in the early 2000s.
ranran-001

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 9:22 am Reply with quote
Egan Loo wrote:
El Hermano wrote:
On the topic of consumer vigilantism, Vic is currently scheduled for more conventions for the rest of 2019 than any of his accuser are. Apparently "we" decided the accusations were insubstantial, and he actually is welcome at conventions and not a danger to anyone.

Depending on how one defines accuser and convention, here are the scheduled appearances announced for Vic Mignogna:

The Neutral Zone Fan Appreciation Weekend
Colossalcon
Anime Matsuri
Savannah Mega Comic Con
Bubba Fest

Here is scheduled appearances announced for Chris Sabat:

Phoenix Fan Fusion
Florida Supercon
GalaxyCon Raleigh (Raleigh Supercon)
Alias Entertainment Expo
GalaxyCon Minneapolis
GalaxyCon Louisville (Louisville Supercon)

Any conventions missing here?

Vic is not going to Colossalcon, you can take that off the list.
Carlo Darcelin

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 9:37 am Reply with quote
Hi my name is Carlo and I was mention by name in the article. I asked that anyone who read this read it in it entirety. First I want to say I am no longer with animenext and I do not speak on their behave. There are many things that are accurate in the article but there are some things that are not. I am not going to break it down line by line but I do think it is time that I speak up on this incident. I am retired from the convention circuit now but before I did I have worked for over 20 cons for over 20 years and been on the board of multiple conventions and held many other high ranking potions that include but are not limited to con chair. The problems people are talking about are not unique to animenext. They are also hard to deal with because everyone involved are volunteers and most are not trained or have not experience anything like it before. Unlike a normal work place, people do not see each other every week. Some only once year during the con which makes incidents like this hard to deal with because as the show runners, we are learning with each show and not experienced in these matters. Most information is past by the telephone game and facts get distorted. This is an incident that can and has happened at any convention. I would like to address a few points. People are complaining that there is no system to deal with these issue. The fact is there are at most conventions including anime next. In the years that I worked there we handed out an employee hand book that everyone had to sign that they read, which included how to deal with these situations but in reality most people didn't. I also ran a security train class every year I was there for all of con safety. Which included role playing scenarios and training from a NYPD police officer who also works for the FBI. Every time we had the class it include what to do if someone encountered rape or sexual assault. So it was surprising to me when I heard the first complaint and the person didn't know that they had no option. In reality it is hard to deal with these situation in a regular corporation much less a volunteer one that meet sporadically. People are saying the accused should be charged or immediate punished or demoted and that he is guilty with out know that facts. Many situations happen at convention, plus there are many personalities, clicks and groups with different motivations. We can't immediate call for someones head with out know the facts even if more than one person comes forth. I am glad the person spoke up, Especial if they felt like they didn't get justice but that is also no excuse to form a lynch mob. We need to learn from these things and do better. I can say with almost certainty that no assault happened. This is a case about harassment which is hard to prove or disprove, even in a regular day to day work environment. Many people act some times without even knowing what they are doing is wrong. Especially in a fun charged loose environment like a convention. (not to say this is an excuse) What we need to do now is educate and do better. Not point fingers and make snap decision with limited facts based on he said she said. I was there during the incident and on the board of directors. I was also on the corporate HR. The corporation had a corporate HR for problems like this, which had 2 other member. We had representation for females and LGBT on the HR committee and the staff was informed about it. At this time I want to personally apologies to all that feel or felt like they were a victim with no voice. I personally feel that in this situation things definitive could have been handle better and was handle clumsily. I also want to state the fact the the whole board took it seriously and dealt with it immediately. The con chair in question was talked to by the president of the corporation and a few others on the board. No other incident were reported during that weekend about that weekend after he was spoken to. I can't speak for after that because I was no longer part of the convention. I tried while I was still involved with the convention to make a safe and fun working environment. Now I see I could have and should have done more. I could have communicated better the severity of the situation and I apologize for that. Part of the reason I left convention as a whole was because I was tired of deal with all these type of issues and felt overwhelmed at time. I also felt like no matter what I did it was never enough to fix a problem. Now I see I was right and I should have done more before I left. So on behave of myself. I am sorry to all involved in situations I was part of that weren't handle correctly, or I did not do enough for. I also ask that we take this opportunity to instead of point finger or taking sides, to just be better and improve so we can make sure things like this don't happen again, if is does people know what to do, both sides feel represented and that people know what is unexceptionable behavior. Thank you for reading my long post. I hope it does some good.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 3:18 pm Reply with quote
I mentioned the Anime Boston thing because of the situation with the rave. I believe there were a few reasons why they no longer had it available.
> Overcrowding (I believe this was the biggest reason)
> Fights
> Drugs found at event (minor incident)

It's not really a strong argument for what's going on here, so I'll leave it be. My point was actually that turning a blind eye to the situation could lead to contracts breaking between sponsors and other businesses, because they don't want to associate with that.

I actually had forgotten which convention had to be released from their contracts with the hotel due to troublesome situations like that, but...It was actually either ANEXT or some other east coast con.

Until I get the details you can just disregard. Smile
VinceA

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 6:05 pm Reply with quote
It wasn't AnimeNEXT.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number
JustinTaco

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 7:50 pm Reply with quote
brammerhammer23 wrote:
I've never heard of animenext or nextanime or whatever. Its just another convention. At least Vic is a well known commodity that was worth reporting on. This just seems like a reach to be honest. This guy is a nobody. Why give this guy any platform at all.

Funny how there is always some reason an article about sexual harassment isn't worth reporting on hmmmm.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 10:38 am Reply with quote
Let's make a few things clear, first and foremost this is not a Vic article so we're not turning it into a discussion on him. Secondly, the same rules that we've had in those discussions are surely present here. So don't think that any of the bs posts that would be removed there won't get the same treatment here.
Mirielle

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 6:49 pm Reply with quote
So the main thing that is likely to result in him getting fired from the convention (though, again, volunteer, so fired might not be the right word) is that he harassed people who he was a supervisor to. The rest of it is kind of hard to prove in a court of law, and kind of ancillary.

The convention confirmed that he's been suspended since April (which makes sense, as they only meet once a month, so new things generally have to wait til the next meeting.) and honestly, I'd expect them to probably make that permanent, but they'll probably wait til they have all their ducks in a row and their investigation is over.

What I really want to know is why Vince isn't chair anymore, he seemed great from the couple years I knew him.
VinceA

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 5:34 am Reply with quote
Mirielle wrote:
What I really want to know is why Vince isn't chair anymore, he seemed great from the couple years I knew him.

First, thanks for the compliment.

The reason I didn't run for 2019 chair are way too 'inside baseball' to explain. Suffice it to say that I'm no longer affiliated with the convention in any way, other than being friends with a few other past & present staff members.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3