• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Spring 2019 Manga Guide

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Covnam

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:23 pm Reply with quote
Since it wasn't mentioned (unless I missed it), does the CCS Collector's edition contain more than one volume or are they releasing 12 CEs?
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:10 am Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
Since it wasn't mentioned (unless I missed it), does the CCS Collector's edition contain more than one volume or are they releasing 12 CEs?

IIRC there will be nine CCS collector's edition volumes.
Calico

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:12 pm Reply with quote
Currently, 3/4 of today's titles are using thumbnails from other series, Rebecca's Snow White review uses an image from Komi-san, and Faye's Jojo review is in all bold for some reason.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:15 pm Reply with quote
Calico wrote:
Currently, 3/4 of today's titles are using thumbnails from other series, Rebecca's Snow White review uses an image from Komi-san, and Faye's Jojo review is in all bold for some reason.

Thanks for the heads-up, I'll take care of it.
marshmallowpie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:20 pm Reply with quote
Maybe I should wait until all the reviews are posted before complaining about this, but I feel like the two reviewers have way too similar opinions on the majority of the titles? My Pink is Overflowing is the only one of sixteen (so far) where there was more than a one point difference between the scores. There were two manga with one point differences, and all the rest were either half point differences or the same score. It's not the reviewers' faults, but it would be nice if there was a third person who could add a bit more variety.
Covnam

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:26 pm Reply with quote
fuuma_monou wrote:
Covnam wrote:

Thanks for the info! Weird release then though. How are they breaking up the material? Are 3 release double or are they cutting up 12 volumes into 9 parts? Confused
harminia

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:00 pm Reply with quote
marshmallowpie wrote:
Maybe I should wait until all the reviews are posted before complaining about this, but I feel like the two reviewers have way too similar opinions on the majority of the titles? My Pink is Overflowing is the only one of sixteen (so far) where there was more than a one point difference between the scores. There were two manga with one point differences, and all the rest were either half point differences or the same score. It's not the reviewers' faults, but it would be nice if there was a third person who could add a bit more variety.

Gotta say I agree. Nothing against the reviewers, but I would like someone with a slightly different view commenting. Maybe a guy or something, I don't know. Well, that and I also like reading all different people's reviews, so the more the merrier for me.

BTW ANN guys, the Snow White image for Rebecca's review is still Komi-chan.
lys

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:33 pm Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
fuuma_monou wrote:
Covnam wrote:

Thanks for the info! Weird release then though. How are they breaking up the material? Are 3 release double or are they cutting up 12 volumes into 9 parts? :?

It sounds like it's based on the 9-vol Nakayoshi 60th Anniversary edition, published in Japan in 2015. So the original authors likely had oversight in how it was divided: jp v1 is listed at 258 pages, probably a couple extra chapters in each volume.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:27 am Reply with quote
With Sorcerous Stabber Orphen: Heed My Call, Beast, I wonder if this is a continuation of Sorcerous Stabber Orphen: The Wayward Journey.

It seems like it from the Amazon summaries.

With regards to Happy Sugar Life, (I watched the anime, and liked it), It is a dark and twisted story. It doesn't have to have lessons learned or some sort of deeper message. If you require your anime or manga to have deep social messages, Happy Sugar Life is not for you. I liked Happy Sugar Life because of the main character, Satō Matsuzaka. You can love her or hate her, either is okay. I am on the love side though.
Calico

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:49 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Kamatani's approach is what's really interesting here – her magic realism

FYI, I'm not sure if it's mentioned in the manga itself or not, but Kamatani is openly nonbinary, not a woman. "Their" instead of "her" would probably be the appropriate pronouns to use here.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:26 pm Reply with quote
Calico wrote:

FYI, I'm not sure if it's mentioned in the manga itself or not, but Kamatani is openly nonbinary, not a woman. "Their" instead of "her" would probably be the appropriate pronouns to use here.

Whoops, thank you! I'd seen female pronouns used for them somewhere else, but I won't make that mistake again. (It's one I especially hate making - it feels so disrespectful, and I don't mean to be.) I'll make sure to mention it when I write a fuller review of the volume later on.
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:16 pm Reply with quote
I've only watched the anime, but Happy Sugar Life is about the cycle of abuse perpetuated by adults and inflicted on the young, and the latter's attempts to cope with the trauma they've suffered, no matter how extreme those attempts are. Are some of the depictions a little exaggerated for the sake of horror and shock value? I don't think that can be denied, but the series is very sympathetic to these kids that have gone through a lot thanks to a few awful adults, and I certainly don't think it's a coincidence that Shio, who has endured plenty hardship herself, happens to be the same coping mechanism for the 3 most broken characters in the series. Satou uses her to fill the hollow emptiness she feels, a supposed answer to the question that's been eating at her for years. For Masayoshi, she's a symbol of purity, a device to reclaim his lost innocence. For Asahi, she's a security blanket for his own sanity, desperate to salvage his broken family.

Is it messed up? Of course. Is it a little schlocky? Absolutely, and I won't say that isn't part of the appeal. But there's definitely a point to the madness, and the ending of the anime makes that almost painstakingly obvious, although whether the manga shares the same conclusion remains to be seen. It was one of my favorite anime of last year for a reason.
zawa113

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:52 pm Reply with quote
I'm so eager to read Our Dreams at Dusk! I hope my comic shop has it in this weekend! One of my friends, who is also trans ("also" in this case not referring just to you, Faye, but to me as well) has already read it and raved about it.

My personal case though is quite different from both you and my friend in that I am out, have been on hormones for a good couple years now (female to male, mind you, the other key difference), and do engage in society as my chosen gender (looking somewhat androgynous, I still always get giddy when a stranger refers to me using male pronouns!) I'm also very fortunate that my parents and family are supportive, but damn if I don't remember that horrible closet of anxiety about coming out and being unsure if my mom would be ok with it (despite her asking me quite a bit if I was lesbian and assuring me that was ok). And since I feel like I knew at a very young age (like elementary school, 1st or 2nd grade maybe, even if I was missing the word for it) and didn't come out until I was 23-24 or so and then took several more years to finally begin my transition journey, the anxiety had been building for years. I can't even imagine what it would be like for someone older than me, who had a spouse and kids, to come out. But being on the other side of the fence now, I hate to see people where I once was and I'm eager for them to join me over here, so I wish you, Faye, and anyone else reading who is closeted, all the best of luck! And there are resources and people out there to help, never feel like you're going it alone, you don't have to.
Covnam

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:13 am Reply with quote
I'm glad I only ended up picking up 1 volume of Princess Jellyfish. I'll definitely have to pick up the boxset at some point. Too bad there was only one season of the anime though Sad

lys wrote:
It sounds like it's based on the 9-vol Nakayoshi 60th Anniversary edition, published in Japan in 2015. So the original authors likely had oversight in how it was divided: jp v1 is listed at 258 pages, probably a couple extra chapters in each volume.

I was hoping it was something like that. Good to know, thanks =D
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:15 pm Reply with quote
Reading about what Happy Sugar Life is about...

I agree with Faye, keep that series away from me, I won't touch it with a ten foot pole as the modern anime/manga/light novel industry is starting to terrify me (as if Spec-Ops Asuka and Uzamaid weren't bad enough)... Shocked
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3