• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Spring 2019 Manga Guide

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:01 am Reply with quote
Sailor Sedna wrote:
Reading about what Happy Sugar Life is about...

I agree with Faye, keep that series away from me, I won't touch it with a ten foot pole as the modern anime/manga/light novel industry is starting to terrify me (as if Spec-Ops Asuka and Uzamaid weren't bad enough)... Shocked

And you should't read it if it makes you uncomfortable - reading should be for enjoyment, in my opinion. Smile

The difference between Happy Sugar Life and Magical Girl Spec-Ops Asuka, as I see it, is that Asuka thinks its being titillating, where Happy Sugar Life isn't about fanservice of any kind - it knows it's icky and that's part of the story it's trying to tell, whereas Asuka doesn't seem aware of its darker, more serious aspects, or at least doesn't treat them seriously. Also unlike loli stories, Happy Sugar Life doesn't necessarily want the reader to find Shio sexy or attractive - it's trying to show us how she's the representation of "purity" for people who have been all but destroyed emotionally, and how that's really not healthy for any of them.

That's my takeaway from it, at any rate. It still isn't nice, but I feel like it's fully aware of what it's doing.
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:45 am Reply with quote
@Princess_Irene
Thanks. I can understand your points, but I'm still passing. It does sound good it's not trying to act all titillating though, I wonder if it's trying to be like Vladimir Nabakov's Lolita or something...

Either way, I'm more looking forward to seeing the "JOKERS" arc of Magical Girl Raising Project coming out.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:52 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Essentially this means that the story is still getting its feet under it, and by the final chapter in this volume, the plot does feel a little thin. It is enjoyable, but there's a definite sense that CLAMP is still working out where they want to take the series overall. This is perhaps best seen in Tomoyo and Sakura's relationship – many people remember it as being defined by Tomoyo's crush on Sakura, but that doesn't come into play at all until the final chapter of this volume, with Tomoyo mostly appearing to have a crush on Toya, Sakura's older brother. This is retrofitted to be a facet of Tomoyo liking Sakura, but it feels hastily done.
On the subject of the whole Tomoyo/Touya thing, this was a deliberate bait and switch set up by CLAMP. Nanase Ohkawa and Mokona have stated in interviews that Ohkawa wanted Tomoyo's crush on Sakura to be a surprise for the readers so she kept it a secret even from the other members of CLAMP. So since the other members didn't know about Tomoyo's feelings at the time, Mokona was drawing the manga under the assumption that Tomoyo would like Touya instead.

As a big CCS fan, I enjoy the manga for it's beautiful artwork and seeing the differences in the story, but CCS is one of those series where I feel like the anime is better than the manga. The anime does a lot more to expand on the secondary characters and to streamline the plot more. It also helps the anime tones down some of the more problematic aspects of the manga. And I just feel like there's more excitement to the Clow Card captures in the anime and of course the inclusion of my favorite character, Meiling. Although it's weird that when it comes to the Clear Card sequel, I actually prefer the manga version of Clear Card over the anime.

It's too bad there's not more to the special edition but how does the translation read compared to the Tokyopop edition? Is it on par with the high quality of the new Sailor Moon manga release? I still have the Tokyopop unflipped edition which came with a really nice artbox and I'm pretty satisfied with that translation. With my limited shelf space, I'm just wondering if there's enough of a difference to the translation to make it worth it to double dip for the new release when my current copies are still in good condition.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:

It's too bad there's not more to the special edition but how does the translation read compared to the Tokyopop edition? Is it on par with the high quality of the new Sailor Moon manga release? I still have the Tokyopop unflipped edition which came with a really nice artbox and I'm pretty satisfied with that translation. With my limited shelf space, I'm just wondering if there's enough of a difference to the translation to make it worth it to double dip for the new release when my current copies are still in good condition.

It's definitely in the neighborhood of the new Sailor Moon manga translations, and there's a more natural feel to the dialogue. That said, with the lack of other special features, if you're happy with the set you have, there's no need to rush on this one - wait until it's on sale or until the Book Shelf Fairy visits* and grants you space.

*I am still waiting, Book Shelf Fairy!
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:

It's definitely in the neighborhood of the new Sailor Moon manga translations, and there's a more natural feel to the dialogue. That said, with the lack of other special features, if you're happy with the set you have, there's no need to rush on this one - wait until it's on sale or until the Book Shelf Fairy visits* and grants you space.

*I am still waiting, Book Shelf Fairy!
Thanks for the info! I appreciate it!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3