• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: JMPA Reveals Manga Magazine Circulation Numbers for January to March 2019

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:04 pm Reply with quote
AutoOps007 wrote:
Surely the numbers of Monthly Shonen Magazine and Bessatsu Shonen Magazine have been mixed up. Monthly Shonen Magazine only really has the seraph of the end spin-off has almost 300k, and Bessatsu Shonen Magazine has Attack on Titan only has 54k? That can't be right.

Those are definitely the numbers as on the JMPA site.
I count 22 titles in this month's Shonen Magazine including (the current) Dear Boys, Noragami, Pumpkin Scissors etc
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:44 pm Reply with quote
The shrinking younger generations are more preferring digital than physical
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:01 am Reply with quote
What might account for the reduced circulation numbers? Some possibilities that come to mind are the rise of e-book/digital manga formats. This sometimes results in a magazine shifting to digital-only or even ending publication in both digital and print versions. Another is when you have fewer super-popular manga serialized in a magazine, you likely will lose a certain number of subscribers. Still, for the manga magazines that have at 100,000 print subscribers, that is a decent number given the state of the print manga industry in Japan.
AutoOps007

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:30 am Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
AutoOps007 wrote:
Surely the numbers of Monthly Shonen Magazine and Bessatsu Shonen Magazine have been mixed up. Monthly Shonen Magazine only really has the seraph of the end spin-off has almost 300k, and Bessatsu Shonen Magazine has Attack on Titan only has 54k? That can't be right.

Those are definitely the numbers as on the JMPA site.
I count 22 titles in this month's Shonen Magazine including (the current) Dear Boys, Noragami, Pumpkin Scissors etc

Yeah but Bessatsu Shonen Magazine has 28 titles in the latest issue, including The Heroic Legend of Arslan, UQ Holder, Real Account, Flying Witch and more. But regardless of that, I feel that Bessatsu Shonen Magazine's sales should be much higher given it has Attack on Titan (alone), and is pushed as the sister magazine of Weekly Shonen Magazine.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Lol,on times like these I notice that the western fanbase clearly don't understand the market,the reason magazines are declining(not only manga ones) is pretty simple,lifestyle change,there is no secret ,when 25 years ago people would kill time reading magazines on the trains,nowdays they kill time playing games on their cellphone,also people have to bear in mind that is hard time to the whole japanese publishing, sales are less than 53% than the peak used to be in 1997,japanese people simple don't read anymore.

Also people simple started to wonder why should they buy a magazine that have many serials that they don't care about.

But don't worry ,people still read manga on their cellphone,and a lot of them nowdays use Apps like Renta or line manga instead.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2