• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Anime Expo Screens Pokémon: Mewtwo Strikes Back—Evolution Film

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:56 pm Reply with quote
JRPictures wrote:
Anime Expo's Twitter account confirmed the premiere will be subbed, just so you all know.
I'm simply flabbergasted! I never thought this would actually happen! This is very pleasant news! I hope this means we'll also finally get a subbed Pokemon release on BD/DVD!
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:20 pm Reply with quote
JRPictures wrote:
Anime Expo's Twitter account confirmed the premiere will be subbed, just so you all know.

HOLY COW.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:46 am Reply with quote
Commander Cluck wrote:
But the official title of the US version is "Pokemon: The First Movie". America never used "Mewtwo Strikes Back"

Even so, the fact that it's a remake of the First/Mewtwo, coming right after "I Choose You!", a remake of the essential first TV-season stories, looks like the entire franchise is going the Doraemon route, and cycling the classic remakes at various generational loops--
As most kids currently hooked on the series weren't born in 1999 when the original Mewtwo came out.

So, that would mean next we get a Power of One remake, and then the Unown movie?
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:33 am Reply with quote
I feel like this reboot is more of a one time only thing to tie in with the Let's Go games but I guess it depends on how well the ticket sales are. I kind of hope after this reboot they start going back to making tie in movies for the new gens again.
michaeltanzer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:58 pm Reply with quote
Maybe Funimation can get the rights to license the movie in both Dub and Sub versions for sure!
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:06 pm Reply with quote
If anyone releases it, it would probably be Viz as Viz has the home video rights to the TV show and the movies for the dub.
michaeltanzer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:32 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
If anyone releases it, it would probably be Viz as Viz has the home video rights to the TV show and the movies for the dub.

I would say Funimation instead, because they can use the original Japanese character names and the original Japanese BGM...right?
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:47 pm Reply with quote
you say this same thing for every new pokemon tv show and movie and it never happens. It is very amusing, but it might be time to give up as its clearly not going to happen
Aca Vuksa

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:34 am Reply with quote
@michaeltanzer

Seriously man, what kind of person exactly are you!? I know Viz is owning the rights of the Pokemon anime, not the Funimation itself. Funimation has never been the main distributor of the Pokemon anime at all, hence why they won't get a dub and sub release. The sub will only be shown in Anime Expo and the film will only get a dub for a DVD/Bluray releases for it. So stop writing this sentence, you are making us like you are like a fool.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:11 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure why he seems to think Funimation is the only company that releases uncut anime in the US.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2