• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ghost in the Shell: SAC_2045 3DCG Anime's Characters Designed by Birthday Wonderland's Ilya K

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
steelmirror

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Firefly251 wrote:
CGI isnt always bad.

I use to LOATHE cgi. (type like Ajin)

Then I watched a company who can do CGI correctly (knights of sidonia) and i actually went from "this is weird as F" to 4 episodes in loving the style.
tbf, Knights has some pretty janky and terrible person CGI as well, it's just that having robots be on screen for most of the dynamic and challenging animation scenes really covers up how stiff and awkward the rigging is. Which hey, definitely a good example of a company making lemons out of lemonade, because I was pretty happy with Knights' animation overall, even if the people never looked quite right.

Never watched Ajin, so I don't know if it was a lot worse or something, but cg has been getting gradually better, plus I've gradually innoculated myself against it so that now I can sort of squint past some of its shortcomings if it's a show that I'm otherwise into (Dragon Prince is a pretty good example of that).
jdnation

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:43 pm Reply with quote
I'm really really really hoping that given the statue of Ghost in the Shell, that Netflix and Production IG are making this a high budget ultra sleek looking CG anime.

Good CG is usually a combination of talent + time + money.

At bare minimum I would like something the quality of Appleseed Ex Machina.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijVo1pxtJZM

24 fps, no low 2D framerate animation on characters. Really nice rendering style.

Appleseed Ex Machina is the best mix of something that is great and could fit well enough for a high end quality TV series budget.

The style of Ex Machina would also go well with Ilya's style of character designs and colour.

I think the Appleseed films also used a combination of mo-cap and animation. Could work well here too.
chronos02

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:27 pm Reply with quote
jdnation wrote:
I'm really really really hoping that given the statue of Ghost in the Shell, that Netflix and Production IG are making this a high budget ultra sleek looking CG anime.

Good CG is usually a combination of talent + time + money.

At bare minimum I would like something the quality of Appleseed Ex Machina.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijVo1pxtJZM

24 fps, no low 2D framerate animation on characters. Really nice rendering style.

Appleseed Ex Machina is the best mix of something that is great and could fit well enough for a high end quality TV series budget.

The style of Ex Machina would also go well with Ilya's style of character designs and colour.

I think the Appleseed films also used a combination of mo-cap and animation. Could work well here too.

CGI nowadays depends more on techniques and available tech than it does on talent, we now have plenty of good tools to create incredibly detailed models with little effort, so what we see on CGI anime nowadays is a simple lack of modernisation and sticking to old tech and methodologies. For one, most CGI anime want to use cellshaded and rimlit materials on everything, instead of going, as you said, with the Appleseed EX-Machina art-style, which, to be perfectly honest, is what most, if not all, normal anime use as backgrounds (I, for one, can't remember a single anime that uses 2 or 3 light/shadow cascades for backgrounds, only on characters).
They also don't seem to use raytracing (vray or whatever you want to use) even when they don't apply special shaders, giving the models an incredibly flat appearance, but it doesn't stop there, the models themselves, most of the time, are incredibly barebones in detail, to the point they seem low-poly assets with a couple of turbosmooths applied on them just to give them a more roundish appearance.
And then comes the texturing, in most cases being almost non-existent... they simply use basic material colors and maybe a tiled texture on certain things and call it a day, they feel like zero-effort works.

Still, as the word implies, animation isn't just about coloring, shading, lighting and modelling work, it's about movement. And oh boy, do most CGI anime suck at this, and not just a bit, they look sublimely terrible. It almost feels like the animators believe that lowering the FPS to the FPS anime uses is going to give them the same feeling, alas, that's just pure bs. Anime is a VFR medium, so leaving the model animations at 12 FPS and then recording it all at 24 FPS won't give CGI that apparently smooth movement normal hand-drawn animation has (this includes digitally drawn stuff, pen-tablets still use your hand to draw), it will simply give it a choppy feeling. But there's more, CGI models don't deform in CGI anime, they don't even try, while normal hand-drawn animation typically has incredibly deformed drawings to give that natural feeling of movement, they effectively replicate a sort of motion blur, or rather, image distortion caused by speed and what our eyes see.

Altogether, CGI anime is mostly VERY bad compared to normal anime, even compared with very mediocre shows (well, they won't get bad body proportions on certain shots), and this happens even when CGI production is far cheaper than traditional animation (as long as you have a good working pipeline, that is), and if that weren't enough, correcting something in CGI is far easier, animation and model work are mostly separate things, requiring minimum tweaking... it's quite sad that the animation industry hasn't made the switch yet, with only a couple of shows being good (Houseki no Kuni anyone?).

And with my rant over, have a nice day.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:31 pm Reply with quote
Not a fan of primarily CG anime, and this isn't really enough to go on, but the design is decent enough, based on the picture.

I'm glad to get more Stand Alone Complex. I just hope I don't regret asking for it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
jdnation

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:00 pm Reply with quote
chronos02 wrote:
CGI nowadays depends more on techniques and available tech than it does on talent, we now have plenty of good tools to create incredibly detailed models with little effort, so what we see on CGI anime nowadays is a simple lack of modernisation and sticking to old tech and methodologies. For one, most CGI anime want to use cellshaded and rimlit materials on everything, instead of going, as you said, with the Appleseed EX-Machina art-style, which, to be perfectly honest, is what most, if not all, normal anime use as backgrounds (I, for one, can't remember a single anime that uses 2 or 3 light/shadow cascades for backgrounds, only on characters).
They also don't seem to use raytracing (vray or whatever you want to use) even when they don't apply special shaders, giving the models an incredibly flat appearance, but it doesn't stop there, the models themselves, most of the time, are incredibly barebones in detail, to the point they seem low-poly assets with a couple of turbosmooths applied on them just to give them a more roundish appearance.
And then comes the texturing, in most cases being almost non-existent... they simply use basic material colors and maybe a tiled texture on certain things and call it a day, they feel like zero-effort works.

Indeed, but you could also get great results from low tech with the right talent.

The talent I peak of are those who know how to use the tech of proper animation, proper rigging, proper lighting, and proper camera work.

As you mention later on... talent understands the limitations and how to best make use of the tech.

Quote:
Still, as the word implies, animation isn't just about coloring, shading, lighting and modelling work, it's about movement. And oh boy, do most CGI anime suck at this, and not just a bit, they look sublimely terrible. It almost feels like the animators believe that lowering the FPS to the FPS anime uses is going to give them the same feeling, alas, that's just pure bs. Anime is a VFR medium, so leaving the model animations at 12 FPS and then recording it all at 24 FPS won't give CGI that apparently smooth movement normal hand-drawn animation has (this includes digitally drawn stuff, pen-tablets still use your hand to draw), it will simply give it a choppy feeling. But there's more, CGI models don't deform in CGI anime, they don't even try, while normal hand-drawn animation typically has incredibly deformed drawings to give that natural feeling of movement, they effectively replicate a sort of motion blur, or rather, image distortion caused by speed and what our eyes see.

Altogether, CGI anime is mostly VERY bad compared to normal anime, even compared with very mediocre shows (well, they won't get bad body proportions on certain shots), and this happens even when CGI production is far cheaper than traditional animation (as long as you have a good working pipeline, that is), and if that weren't enough, correcting something in CGI is far easier, animation and model work are mostly separate things, requiring minimum tweaking... it's quite sad that the animation industry hasn't made the switch yet, with only a couple of shows being good (Houseki no Kuni anyone?).

The low frame rate approach which sucks (depending on how its used, Spider-Verse was a good example for good use, and also the LEGO Movie imo, or where there is a hybrid use of CG/2D where the CG must match the 2D), as well as as you explained the use of very flat looking models looks to be both an attempt at cheap-ness and the idea that they can just mimic 2D that way. But it just doesn't work. most of the time you can only get away with it for background elements in the far distance of a 2D show.

The Blame Netflix movie, for example, while leagues ahead of Knights of Sidonia, would've been much better if they abandoned the 12fps approach. I'm tempted to think that aside form just imagining that they are imitating 2D well that the fact that it is half the frame rate also helps lower rendering time, which helps with time and costs. But that naturally screams low-budget.

Deformity in CG can be done, but requires talent and technical expertise to rig the models and muscular systems properly. This is incredibly hard to do. While tools are getting better, the kind of anime studios in Japan working on these don't have access or the budgets to do it. But no rig is going to save a poorly modelled character.

It would be amazing if we got a GITS project on par with some of the amazing stuff seen in Netflix's Love Death + Robots. But those are all from high quality expensive studios. And it's one thing to spend that money on a short versus a full length series and keep that kind of visual fidelity.

It's also not that Japan doesn't have the talent. But it seems most of that talent is employed in the Video Game market, at places like Square Enix Visual Works, or Capcom, and they can pull off even incredible visuals in real-time engines than most anime CG productions manage. And you don't need to be photo-real to look amazing.

Considering who's involved, I'm dearly hoping they are looking at Appleseed Ex Machina
for visual reference. Using Motion Capture will also help, and also mean high frame rates. Naturally they will have to animate a lot of stuff by hand, but the decision to mo-cap will dictate the animation keyframing.

Production I.G. could look to what modern films and games do, to performance capture actors on stage, then adjust cameras in real time, then go on to the final render and post. I hope they take that opportunity here.

I doubt they'd aim for photorealism, but like Appleseed's and Illya Kushinov's style aims at a nice mix of colourful photorealism through lighting applied to anime aesthetics.
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:34 pm Reply with quote
It's kind of weird that so many of Neflix's Original anime tend to be made in CGI, I mean, I do not hate CGI animation, I've enjoyed some shows like Ajin and Hi-Score Girl but I can understand some people not liking the animation style.
I really like Ilya's artstyle, it is very unique and I always enjoy when he draws any character in his style, the only think I don't like, and it's only a minor thing, is how he draws eyes, most of the characters he draws have a very piercing look in their eyes, though in the case of Motoko here I think it really fits the character.
I just hope that most dubs arround the world can maintain some consistency with the characters' voices.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:55 pm Reply with quote
icelava wrote:
Technically, the art style is fabulous and cute. I like it, but, it feels way too cute for a serious theme like GITS.

Id recommend actually going back to the source work by Masamune Shirow, in terms of both design and themes, before I would make such a proclamation. Oshii made his adaptation more Serious, and most other adaptations have followed his adaptation, but those are all markedly different from the original.
Feli1

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:20 pm Reply with quote
nice art but I bet the animation is going to be horse shit this is Netflix after all
OjaruFan2

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:26 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
meiam wrote:
Big departure but I don't dislike it... But it's gonna be CG so w/e, not like it matters how good the design look.
Yes it is a huge shame that they've decided to go this way, we will just have to wait until the next entry now. Do not know if we should blame the directors or Netflix.

Just because it’s in CG doesn’t automatically mean that the animation’s gonna turn out bad.
jdnation

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:05 am Reply with quote
OjaruFan2 wrote:
Just because it’s in CG doesn’t automatically mean that the animation’s gonna turn out bad.

You're technically right, but more often than not, it is, and even the more decent ones are inferior to 2D, and the bulk of Netflix's CG output is not very good at all. Not unwatchable or unenjoyable in their own right, but still not very good and the cheapness of it is more prevalent in CG features. So people are worried based on precedent.

Here's hoping Ghost in the Shell gets the budget and quality it deserves. If Netflix can fund Love Death + Robots quality stuff, then it certainly can for a major work like GITS. Especially since this is a partnership with IG.

Netflix isn't shy about getting anime with good 2D production either, such as Violet Evergarden, or even the currently running Carole & Tuesday.

I'm guessing they expect GITS will be a bigger splash with western audiences than most anime, and probably both IG and Netflix figured based on stereotyped overseas habits that CG would be more appealing. Technically yes, but the west loves CG that's as good as the big animation houses from Disney, Pixar, Dreamworks and Sony put out. Anything else that's low budget and considered suitable only for children, or at the very least adult comedy.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:13 am Reply with quote
That updated design looks fantastic.

I hope this is good when we finally get to see it.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:59 am Reply with quote
At the very least this has to be better than the Scarlett Jo movie.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:53 pm Reply with quote
If the whole show looks like that always, it'll be pretty cool imo. It looks like shiny watercolor come to life. A lot of CG anime on Netflix kinda looks somewhere in between what a PS2 and PS3 could do as far as visual quality. I actually think those pics of Makoto look cool.

Anyways, I'm glad there's more GitS TV. I'm not the biggest GitS as a movie (original, sequel, live action, SSS... I don't like any of them) but I'm a huge huge fan of the TV stuff and anything released in chunks like a TV show like Arise. I hope this is good too.

Have they announced a voice cast? I'm curious if they're going to fire everyone again like they did for Arise.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:38 pm Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:

Have they announced a voice cast? I'm curious if they're going to fire everyone again like they did for Arise.

I mean, in terms of the Japanese cast, I'd assume it would be the Stand Alone Complex cast, since this is SAC.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
harminia

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:59 pm Reply with quote
Firefly251 wrote:
CGI isnt always bad.

I use to LOATHE cgi. (type like Ajin)

Then I watched a company who can do CGI correctly (knights of sidonia) and i actually went from "this is weird as F" to 4 episodes in loving the style.

Ajin and Knights of Sidonia were done by the same company. Knights of Sidonia was actually made before Ajin.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3