• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Games - E3 Extravanganza: Press Conference Panic!

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
El Hermano

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:38 pm Reply with quote
Nintendo once again proves that people just want companies to focus on the games at E3. No streaming services, no political messages, no adjacent technology or media focus. Just the games. I always appreciate that.

AiddonValentine wrote:
-Avengers: Hooooooo, boy. This did not go over well. Like, at all. The game just looks so BLAND. The problem is it's clearly TRYING to evoke the MCU, but because they can't use the actors from the MCU it just looks off, like a fan film with a huge budget. It's Diet MCU. The tepid roster also didn't help. Plus we don't actually know what the gameplay is so what's the point of showing it? I also don't buy their claims of "no lootboxes/microtransactions." With them claiming they'll broaden the roster and add new locations there has to be SOME way for paying for all of that. All in all, you could a record scratch when this dropped.

They only said there would not be lootboxses. They already confirmed there will be microtransactions, as is the case with most game as a service.

BadNewsBlues wrote:
Just like the Comic Books?

It's a bit funny how Thanos was always seen as a mediocre Darkseid rip off in the comics but he's now become the face of Marvel villains thanks to the MCU. It's like if Hollywood did a Dragonball cinematic universe, and suddenly Dabura was the most iconic Dragonball villain.

Shar Aznabull wrote:
I'm excited for the same things everyone else is (ESPECIALLY No More Heroes 3, which btw if you haven't go play TSA because it's great and sets up everything for 3) but two reveals I feel went horribly underappreciated are Contra Rogue Corps and Arkane's new game, Deathloop.
Yeah Rogue Corps looks kind of ugly, but the gameplay looks like a lot of fun and it's being directed by the same person who directed Contra III, Hard Corps, and Shattered Soldier (AKA the BEST Contra game).
Deathloop only got a CGI trailer, but the concept sounds a lot more intriguing than most other western games revealed and Arkane Studios typically does good work.

I've never been a fan of the isometrc Contra titles. The top-down portions of Contra 3 were terrible IMO. It looks alright, but I can see why a new entry in a franchise like Contra might get overlooked.
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:38 pm Reply with quote
El Hermano wrote:
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Just like the Comic Books?

It's a bit funny how Thanos was always seen as a mediocre Darkseid rip off in the comics but he's now become the face of Marvel villains thanks to the MCU. It's like if Hollywood did a Dragonball cinematic universe, and suddenly Dabura was the most iconic Dragonball villain.

Uh I think Thanos has already cast off being considered a mediocre Darkseid rip-off & became a popular character in his own right long before the movies came out.

The premiere Thanos comic & heavy basis for the movies, The Infinity Gauntlet came out in the early 90’s.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:15 pm Reply with quote
El Hermano wrote:

As mentioned Thanos has been a pretty big deal in the comics for awhile to the point he's always featured (or briefly used) in a major storyline. This is something that he shares with characters like Ultron,Doctor Doom, & Loki. All the MCU movies did was expose him to casual audiences, while tweaking his motivations and character........while having to also nerf the Black Order.
El Hermano

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:30 pm Reply with quote
Scion Drake wrote:
Uh I think Thanos has already cast off being considered a mediocre Darkseid rip-off & became a popular character in his own right long before the movies came out.

The premiere Thanos comic & heavy basis for the movies, The Infinity Gauntlet came out in the early 90’s.

To some extent, sure. But it's still odd to see him getting top billing above Spider-Man's, X-Men's, and other iconic Marvel villains and rogue galleries though. Infinity Gauntlet wasn't a super popular event back then considering even the various X-Men and Spider-Man issues were outselling it.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:16 pm Reply with quote
El Hermano wrote:

To some extent, sure. But it's still odd to see him getting top billing above Spider-Man's, X-Men's, and other iconic Marvel villains and rogue galleries though.

Most of those villains to be fair are really only threats to the heroes in their respective books though. Thanos is a guy whose had run-ins with the Avengers, The GOTG, Silver Surfer, Adam Warlock, The Fantastic Four, The X-Men etc at various points across various books over the years.

El Hermano wrote:
Infinity Gauntlet wasn't a super popular event back then considering even the various X-Men and Spider-Man issues were outselling it.

Even if it wasn't it's still an iconic storyline that was adapted into games, a movie (years later), and has gotten multiple sequels in the comics.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2