• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Do Movies Experience "Production Crunch" Like TV Series Do?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:43 pm Reply with quote
Hard to top Musashi Gundoh and Berserk 16
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:55 am Reply with quote
jdnation wrote:
This is when we get all those flashback recap episode specials.

Though I prefer they just delay things and fill in the gap with some production featurettes and interviews like Darling...

I loved that. I can't remember the name, but there was a space opera airing around the same time and they did that as well. It's way better than a recap imo. Like when I buy a BD, I'm hoping and praying that there's stuff like that on the discs.

And it's not costly to make. I used to do video editing for the local school district. We made shows that were "behind the scenes" in classroom and administration. Like we could get the request in and have it planned, shot, and edited in 72 hours for a total price less than $1000. There were like 4 other freelancers doing the same thing. This one guy was beast mode and he could literally shoot and edit and deliver a 24 minute piece all on the same day. Sometimes teens in the video program at their school would submit stuff like it as well. All of it looked on par with that Franxx stuff and the other thing. It's kinda cheap and easy content (digital cameras are relative chump change, you can interview 3 people for 15 minutes and have more content than a 20 minute show can fit, most of the b-roll can be captured by wandering around the studio for like 5 hours one day).

I say that just to illustrate how not expensive and quick this stuff can be produced. I wish there was more of it and recap episodes only happened if there was so much in the story that you legit needed a recap. I wish the default "we need to get a cheap episode out there" approach was featurette stuff.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:33 am Reply with quote
End of Evangelion movie

People forget that it's supposed to be just 1 movie - but Gainax couldn't finish the movie, so they made a movie consisting of a recap of the TV series called "Death" and the first parts of EoE called "Rebirth".

They ended up finishing and releasing EoE four months later.

But the delay boondoggle created a messy situation back then, when people were hyped (Evangelion was the hottest thing back then) to see a movie that they ended up not getting but had to wait till months later.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2