• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Even Square Enix Doesn't Know How Many Parts Final Fantasy VII Remake Will Have Yet

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:53 pm Reply with quote
I'm pretty sure that the first part of this remake is going to break records at lauch date, maybe not GTA or RDR2 numbers, but FFVII was the introduction for many players to the franchise and are nostalgic to play it again with modern graphics.
I just hope that the game will be finished before the game's 30th anniversary, that would be absurd. I always though that FFVII only needed a modest upgrade, pre-rendered or real time background in HD but in the style of games like VIII and X (I mean, with natural proportions for the characters outside battle, instead of the original game SD style), not a total overhaul like making it a open world game, at least in Midgar.
It took me 40 hours to beat FFVII a couple of years ago, how long could this game be now that it's in multiple parts?
Firefly251

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:23 pm Reply with quote
Silver Kirin wrote:
but FFVII was the introduction for many players to the franchise and are nostalgic to play it again with modern graphics.
?

it holds the title for making jrpg popular in states.

Sephiroth alone is one of gaming best villains according to many people (by far one of if not the most handsome)

and i dont even wanna know how many people crushed on Tifa....

(p.s. they better translate it as Aerith and not Aeris this tiem around <_<)
Shinigami-Seishou

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:47 pm Reply with quote
At this rate I could care less how many parts, if we get them in a timely manner and not waiting an obscene amount of time. This gives them a chance to really branch out and fill in the plot holes as well as shining light on prequel content and hopefully more Zack. This would also be a good chance for them to show fans how Sephiroth was before Nibelheim if they haven't played Crisis Core.

(Which is shocking, many people still don't know what even went on before FFVII. That's a lot of lore).

I'm sad that this first release is all Midgar. I was looking forward to Chocobo Farm and Vincent, but I'm more curious how they will play out this large plot that needs to be laid out in proper order.
Animorphimagi

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Pandsu wrote:

...Even if it's all good, it's still just a remake that has a basis that's well-known. We might still crave the next big project. We might still want FF16. Or what if Nomura, like he did with FF Versus 13, comes out saying that he has plans for the next Kingdom Hearts but development won't really start until the FF7R project is completely done and over with?

I am looking forward to the game, but cautiously. It looked good but not AMAZING and had some stuff that could get annoying (even down to just the banter) in the gameplay that was shown. Who knows if the actual product is worse. And with how disappointed I personally was in FF15 and KH3 (the latter I still enjoyed but I thought it was just okay. the former I really didn't like), this all really doesn't bode well...

This part is bigger than most people realize. Nomura has had teh touch of death for the last 10 years. He failed when he tried to tell his own story, twice(FFXV and KH3), and he failed to make an open world on a new engine.
So the things he's got going for him for FF7R is that it's probably SE's most experienced developers on the project and it's not his own story. That could be all he needs to pull through, but it doesn't change the fact that he's responsible for some of the biggest story and gameplay downgrades in all of SE's history.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:02 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
Multipart games don't have the best track record. Remember Shen Mue? It's a miracle that got a kickstarted third part. Remember Xenosaga? That one was planned to be 6 episodes, we got three.

You are kind of comparing apples to oranges. FFVII is one game spilt up into multiple parts. Everything else you mentioned are literally the definition of a "sequel" and is something entirely different.

Additionally neither of the two you mentioned are particularly bad, they just undersold hence were cut short. But thats always going to happen. Suikoden was rumored to be 27 games at least.
Puniyo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:35 am Reply with quote
AntiKuro wrote:

Yes, and they scrapped DLC for 15 when they could know longer make money off of it. 15 is also why I know longer have faith in Square. The game had great characters, and what could of been a good story and instead they hacked out parts for DLC to make more money.

No, they didn't scrap it because they couldn't make money from it. They scrapped it because the guy in charge left. They released the story of that dlc in a different form (a novel). It's not ideal, but they did make an effort to make sure the story was finished.

Blanchimont wrote:
Multipart games don't have the best track record. Remember Shen Mue? It's a miracle that got a kickstarted third part. Remember Xenosaga? That one was planned to be 6 episodes, we got three.

Don't get me wrong, I love Xenosaga, but I think it is a really unique case... considering they fired all the original staff and drastically changed the art style (in an attempt to appease the western audience, completely missing the point that the reason it was popular in the west is -because- it was different) and system for the second game, had to cut features as a result, and took an inordinate amount of time for back then to release the second one to the point no one remembered it, and anyone who did, found it vastly inferior to the original.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:53 am Reply with quote
Firefly251 wrote:

it holds the title for making jrpg popular in states.

First I've heard of this. Especially given that it was the fourth FF title to be released in the states meaning RPG's maintained a degree of popular in the U.S. before VII rolled around.

Puniyo wrote:

No, they didn't scrap it because they couldn't make money from it. They scrapped it because the guy in charge left.

Shades of Megaman Legends 3.
XerneasYveltal

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:04 am Reply with quote
Square Enix will need to come up with something like a road map regarding the remake in the long term.
anddo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:32 am Reply with quote
That's a bit odd. If it's just the Midgar portion and the pacing is more or less the same I hope they're not planning on charging full price. I'd still buy it but it would feel off.
Pandsu

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:50 am Reply with quote
anddo! wrote:
That's a bit odd. If it's just the Midgar portion and the pacing is more or less the same I hope they're not planning on charging full price. I'd still buy it but it would feel off.

Pacing is not gonna be the same. They have already stated that each part is gonna basically have the length of a main-line numbered Final Fantasy title and this one alone comes on 2 Blu-Rays. Which I think both makes it very interesting as this is gonna mean we'll get a super fleshed-out Midgar that'll really let us feel the sheer size of the place, but I'm still a bit concerned that they might be padding it out a bit too much to justify their decision to split it into multiple parts. For all we know, this could all just be PR talk anyway and they do know exactly what they're doing but just split it up to save on dev time and cost and are now coming up with ways to do so without too much backlash. So they just load it up with filler to pad out the length and file-size. Who knows if even the 2 Blu-Rays are even gonna be fully used up or are just because of a lack of compression, garbage data, etc.

But even without all of that and keeping in mind how big Midgar is and how many different districts it has, as well as 2 layers, which could all be varied in their own right, the overall look and atmosphere of it is still more or less the same, I bet. So it might still end up overstaying its welcome a little bit.
We'll see.

But it definitely isn't gonna be the same pacing as that part was in the original and the game is already announced to be full price (with two expensive special editions).
jdnation

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:05 am Reply with quote
UPDATE: Square Enix is currently saying that the plan for the multiple installments of the Remake is to release them on both current and next-gen.

So from what they are saying so far, future instalments of the Remake are planned to continue releasing on PS4.

https://www.gameinformer.com/e3-2019/2019/06/12/square-enix-president-comments-on-final-fantasy-vii-remake-potentially-going
Pandsu

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:34 am Reply with quote
Calling bullshit on that update. Sounds like damage control PR babble to me. Of course they don't want to hurt sales of the first game, which releases before next gen even happened, by flat-out telling people that that version's gonna be obsolete (via next-gen re-release) or feel out of place (for people who buy only the other parts on next gen) or incomplete (for people who don't know if they'll be able to afford next gen) almost a year before the game's even out and likely more than a year before the first next gen system is out.
Besides, if asked months, or even weeks, before the announcement of FFXV, about the availability of FFVersusXIII on PS3, they would've absolutely assured fans about that as well and look how that turned out.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:35 pm Reply with quote
Pandsu wrote:
Yeah and the fact that they don't EVEN have the whole thing planned in a rough outline kinda way (if they did then they'd know how many games there would be!) doesn't bode well either. The first game is based on a pretty small part of the original, yet it took them this long to make it and the remake is as long as a full RPG? First of all, that doesn't even mean it's a good length. Could just be padded out to shit and horribly paced for all we know. But even if it is good, it still could set a dangerous precedent of over-indulgence. Even if what we get is decent, it could still end up being quite tiresome if it's 3, 4, 5 or even more games of equal length, all at full price, all 2+ years apart, always having in the back of your head that you might not feel the satisfaction of a finished game (even if they make it feel like a finished game, you still know how much more of the source material there is to cover so it'll never be truly satisfying until it's done), might be left on a cliffhanger even, for years with the looming possibility that they really won't actually finish it and just leave you hanging because they lost interest or because their sales are getting worse and SE decides to cancel the project.

Yeah, not even having a basic development outline is just asinine. The heads of the team are not newbies, Nomura and Kitase have been with the company for DECADES. But then again, this is just more of the same from SE. FFs XII-XV have all had infamously messy, prolonged dev cycles that have bloated budgets and ended in games that were divisive or bland.

This is pathetic. Like I said back when Tabata left Square due to the cancellation of the FFXV DLC, Square's current situation with their own main series is a recurring problem they have to address. These games are taking forever to come out, but not because they want to take their time and make sure everything is polished to a blinding shine (like everything Nintendo or Enix's Dragon Quest) it's because they have no clue what they're doing, they never have ANY clear vision or outline.

As for VII, this is looking to be another casualty of that sloppy, undisciplined mindset. When you cannot be serious towards the most important game your company ever made, a cultural milestone that continues to influence people decades after its release, that is shameful. It's kind of amazing how Square built up all that good will with the reveal of the Remake, and then proceeded to DETONATE it with that lackluster Avengers reveal followed by reminding us that they haven't fixed their own internal problems. They never fail to disappoint.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:44 pm Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:

It's kind of amazing how Square built up all that good will with the reveal of the Remake, and then proceeded to DETONATE it with that lackluster Avengers reveal

You really don't like that game eventhough we still have little knowledge about the game as opposed to the FFVII remake which is all over the place in what we know and don't know about the game.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2