• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Files Response to Vic Mignogna's Lawsuit

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:

octopodpie wrote:
"You don't actually care about other people, you just want brownie points."

That is what I meant. What would you refer to that as?.

I'm saying that's rarely a real thing. But this term comes out whenever anyone, but especially men, come out as believing women. It's used when a group decide to create something that includes minority representation. It's used when a company attempts to "do the right thing."

It's a statement that says far more about the person using it than whoever is supposedly doing it. When someone says "they're virtue signaling" what it tells the majority of people around them is "I don't care about this thing, so obviously whomever doesn't care either, they're just doing it to get something out of it (like accolades or praise)." There's rarely any real proof that the individual/group/company is pretending to care, it's just a phrase used to dismiss someone doing a good thing for another person/group to undermine it.

"That person doesn't actually care about you." Its purpose isn't to warn someone of false pretenses, it's to make the person who feels like they've earned something (like having their opinion or feelings being noticed) feel lesser again. "They don't empathize with how you feel, no one does, they just want your money. Haha, you're still a loser who cares too much."

What it really shows is a lack of empathy on the part of the user because without evidence to the contrary, they're more likely to believe someone is selfish than that they could possibly care about someone else. Not everyone on the internet is "chasing clout" or simply doing things for their own benefit, but the people who use the phrase "virtue signaling" are either projecting their own processes (self-serving) or feel like no one has ever cared about their feelings so they couldn't possibly care about someone else's. Probably more of the former but I'd suspect there's plenty of emotionally-injured, too.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
El Hermano

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:26 pm Reply with quote
FinalVentCard wrote:
Remember: Sony owns Funimation now.

Remember that episode of Spongebob Squarepants where Sandy was wrestling the Alaskan Bull Worm in a cave but it turns out she was only wrestling the tongue? Yeah, that's what Vic's doing; Funimation and Sony are very much vested in fighting off spurious lawsuits.

Just because Sony owns Funimation does not mean they're involved in this lawsuit. So far there has been no indication they've inserted themselves into this battle at all. It would be a bit hasty to assume Sony will come riding in on a golden chariot ready to die for a company they only recently bought.

ZiharkXVI wrote:
Am I alone in thinking the lawsuit is a good thing? I'm tired of random accusations without any court proceedings to actually determine if one side did something they shouldn't have done. Now we can follow the lawsuit and see what happens. Takes a bit more than accusations to make it through a court case. And lest anyone think I have a side - I don't. I just really hate these things being tossed into the realm of social media justice for either side.

I just want to see how the aftermath plays out. If Vic wins does Funimation clean house and boot out the people who committed TI and defamation? Do they in turn get blacklisted from conventions and the industry? What if Vic wins against the voice actors but loses against Funimation, or vice versa? Or what if Vic loses? There was a list being passed around on Twitter by the leaders of KickVic of other male voice actors they want out of the industry. Do they move on to the next target? Does the next guy sue them and we play this song and dance all over again? And then again and again? What if that guy wins. Does it retroactively validate Vic in the public eye or no?

All I know is this probably isn't going to end with the outcome of this lawsuit.

StarfighterPegasus wrote:
Vic can't really settle out of court, he is trying to prove his innocents so he most likely has to go through to the end, It wouldn't look good for his supporters who say he is looking to clear his name for him to settle out of court. If Vic does settle out of court it would make him look like he was just after money,

People tend to think of settlements as loses, but the fact is most lawsuit ends in settlements and depends on what kind of settlement it was, it can be seen as a huge win or a huge loss for either side. A lot of the time its money, but in other instances it can be something else. A public apology, a public retraction, an agreement that Vic can reprise his established roles in the future. It entirely depends what's kind of agreement the involved parties can come to. Whether people want to interpret a settlement as a win or a loss is up to them.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:31 pm Reply with quote
lossthief wrote:
For somebody who continually inserts themselves into threads about this whole topic,

This and that feedback thread are the only two I've ever voiced my opinions on the matter in. I had just got off a ban and was worried I might say something to get myself in trouble again so I purposely avoided threads about this topic.

lossthief wrote:
And this is just ridiculous goalpost shifting. It's insisting that if somebody hasn't been convicted of a criminal act then their employers, potential future employers, and other business associates are required to interact with them even if they find the person's behavior inappropriate or unacceptable. Funimation didn't end their business relationship with Vic because they were punishing him for a crime, they did it because they looked into it and found enough compelling information that the people in charge didn't want to hire him anymore.

I'm not saying they have to be convicted of a criminal act, but the allegations against a person should be proven in a court of law, rather than because some people on the internet insists that it's true. That Funimation never cut ties with Vic despite knowing about his behaviour for all these years goes to show they were willing to overlook it, probably because they know how much money he makes them. But as a direct result of the ANN article Funi was quick to cut ties because they didn't want to hurt their image.

octopodpie wrote:
I'm saying that's rarely a real thing.

Then you give humanity more credit than it deserves. Next time you see some one post something like "those poor starving children" or "I'm sending my prayers to the victims!" you should ask them "So how much are you donating to the cause?" Most of them won't say anything.
Aresef

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:47 pm Reply with quote
Jamie McGonnigal says he’s been doxxed

https://twitter.com/mcbenefit/status/1139348660490252288?s=21

Edit: He’s taken his Twitter account private, totally understandable, but what he said was “I've been doxed by Vic Mignogna's fans. The doxing includes some of the most hateful homophobic and racist comments I've ever seen about me, my husband and our son. All this, because I decided to speak out about a serial sexual predator and people he's hurt. #theinternetistrash”

Last edited by Aresef on Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:55 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:

Then you give humanity more credit than it deserves. Next time you see some one post something like "those poor starving children" or "I'm sending my prayers to the victims!" you should ask them "So how much are you donating to the cause?" Most of them won't say anything.

That doesn't actually matter, you know. Not everything translates into money. A lot of people, including people in the anime community, aren't particularly well off financially. If I shared some kind of trouble I had that could be solved by money, but someone could only offer "I'm sorry this is happening to you, I hope it gets better." I wouldn't respond with "put up or shut up."

I mean this genuinely, have you ever felt bad for someone else? Has anyone ever sympathized with you? At what point in that interaction do you expect a monetary exchange or did it just make you feel better to know that someone cared about your feelings?

There have plenty of times that I was in the dumps and my day was better because some told me "thank you for doing this" or "if you need anything, I'm here."
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:28 pm Reply with quote
octopodpie wrote:
That doesn't actually matter, you know. Not everything translates into money. A lot of people, including people in the anime community, aren't particularly well off financially. If I shared some kind of trouble I had that could be solved by money, but someone could only offer "I'm sorry this is happening to you, I hope it gets better." I wouldn't respond with "put up or shut up."

If some one was speaking to you directly you're right, that kind of thing matters. I was more referring to larger events, where the person's condolences don't reach any of the people involved, yet are still posted publicly because "Hey, don't forget about me today!" This guy's got a great bit about it.

octopodpie wrote:
I mean this genuinely, have you ever felt bad for someone else?

Of course I have. I'm not a psychopath.

octopodpie wrote:
Has anyone ever sympathized with you?

No. I've always been the person who everyone goes to to dump their problems on, but the moment I need something they can't be bothered because whatever they were doing was more important. These days people don't even believe me when I try to talk about my issues. Last time I tried to do that here I got banned for it.
ATastySub
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:43 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:

No. I've always been the person who everyone goes to to dump their problems on, but the moment I need something they can't be bothered because whatever they were doing was more important. These days people don't even believe me when I try to talk about my issues. Last time I tried to do that here I got banned for it.

I honestly hope you’re being incredibly disingenuous here because if you actually believe that’s the reason you got banned then you have a lot more to learn than just to stop posting in these threads. In case you need a reminder you got banned for soapboxing that the forums should not be a place for marginalized people. Repeatedly. Despite warnings. Sure lines up pretty well with what you’re still doing here by constantly dragging on and moving the goalposts to find any reason to discredit the women who had the displeasure of being on the receiving end of Vic’s unwanted affection.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:55 am Reply with quote
El Hermano wrote:

I just want to see how the aftermath plays out. If Vic wins does Funimation clean house and boot out the people who committed TI and defamation?

No I also don't know why they would.

El Hermano wrote:
Do they in turn get blacklisted from conventions and the industry?

Doubtful if it's already been established Mignogna has few friends even in the convention scene or the industry.

El Hermano wrote:

What if Vic wins against the voice actors but loses against Funimation, or vice versa? Or what if Vic loses

I may be wrong but he's suing both the company and the voice actors meaning if he wins he gets compensation from Funi and the voice actors if he loses he gets nothing from no one and goes on with life.

[quote="El Hermano"] What if that guy wins. Does it retroactively validate Vic in the public eye or no?

No.

El Hermano wrote:
All I know is this probably isn't going to end with the outcome of this lawsuit.

It was never going to that's how these things tend to work.
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:57 am Reply with quote
This is why you wait for evidence before trying to blow up a career. Whatever happened to "We reserve the right to take action once all the facts are in."

Making these snap judgments used to be easier and cheap, but now they are starting to cost people.

Every issue nowadays looks at both sides taking a fall like a Pro-(international) Football player. If Aliens visited us today and saw how weak we act they would be amazed we haven't been wiped out by a week of clouds.
ranran-001

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:33 am Reply with quote
H. Guderian wrote:
This is why you wait for evidence before trying to blow up a career. Whatever happened to "We reserve the right to take action once all the facts are in."

Making these snap judgments used to be easier and cheap, but now they are starting to cost people.

Every issue nowadays looks at both sides taking a fall like a Pro-(international) Football player. If Aliens visited us today and saw how weak we act they would be amazed we haven't been wiped out by a week of clouds.

Two employees of Funimation were sexually harassed by Vic over a period of several years. After Funimation opened an investigation they got in contact with both Monica Rial and Jamie. You know what they call testimony from a witness or a victim? Evidence. End of.

El Hermano wrote:

Just because Sony owns Funimation does not mean they're involved in this lawsuit. So far there has been no indication they've inserted themselves into this battle at all. It would be a bit hasty to assume Sony will come riding in on a golden chariot ready to die for a company they only recently bought.

Corporations do not buyout other companies and just let it sit there with no influence from the parent company. Sony has a vested interest in Funimation's business performance.

El Hermano wrote:

I just want to see how the aftermath plays out. If Vic wins does Funimation clean house and boot out the people who committed TI and defamation? Do they in turn get blacklisted from conventions and the industry? What if Vic wins against the voice actors but loses against Funimation, or vice versa? Or what if Vic loses? There was a list being passed around on Twitter by the leaders of KickVic of other male voice actors they want out of the industry. Do they move on to the next target? Does the next guy sue them and we play this song and dance all over again? And then again and again? What if that guy wins. Does it retroactively validate Vic in the public eye or no?

Wishful thinking. The best Vic could ever hope for is a settlement or the contract interference claim holds up. Defamation is the one thing that could exonerate Vic in the public eye. However, I see no possible scenario where Vic could win his claim against Funimation. Given that Funimation has no immediate intents to settle, this won't be good for Vic at all.

El Hermano wrote:

People tend to think of settlements as loses, but the fact is most lawsuit ends in settlements and depends on what kind of settlement it was, it can be seen as a huge win or a huge loss for either side. A lot of the time its money, but in other instances it can be something else. A public apology, a public retraction, an agreement that Vic can reprise his established roles in the future. It entirely depends what's kind of agreement the involved parties can come to. Whether people want to interpret a settlement as a win or a loss is up to them.

That's really wishful thinking. I can see Vic and Funimation settling the contract termination. However I do not see Funimation settling on the defamation claim. So far, Funimation has made no indication they would, and in fact are doing the exact opposite by maximizing their defense case against Vic.

There won't be an apology from Funi not now or ever. Same goes with a retraction, and Vic will never have his roles with Funi shows re-instated.
StarfighterPegasus

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:10 am Reply with quote
[quote="El Hermano"]
FinalVentCard wrote:

Vic is not getting his job back, he burned that bridge.with not only his fellow co workers but also the company. If Vic settles out of court he risks not being able to clear his name of the allegations against him, taking the settlement money would just look worst for his image not only to the public and the dubbing industry but also to the people who put up their money and time to support him.
johnnysasaki

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:19 am Reply with quote
Quote:

boy,I can relate to that sentiment.There's only a fistful of people that I actually care about.The rest can burn in hell for all I care.
I'm glad this lawsuit is not ending quickly and peacefully,I get to enjoy the bloodbath longer this way.
Lynx Raven Raide

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:26 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
But groups shouldn't be judged by their most extremist members. That's why I boil it down to the main players: Vic, Monica, Ron, and Jaime. From what I've seen, Vic has been a class act through all of this. He stays off the internet, started the legal process, and hasn't made anything worse for himself. The other three on the other hand have been active on Twitter acting like a bunch of spoiled children throwing a tantrum. A classic example of "they doth protest too much" methinks. That's why I don't readily believe anything they say.
This... I have a slight problem with this. When everything came out, he first issued an apology (which some felt was hollow, but that is opinion rather than fact) and said he would take time out and get counselling. The next moment, he for all intents and purposes lawyered himself back onto a con which contained one of his accusers, leading to their cancellation as well as a number of others who felt uncomfortable because of the situation. That, to me, shows no class.

You could also argue he hasn't distanced himself from the YouTube lawyer who has arguably riled up the wrong people to defend him, spread information about his case and situation, which could actually hurt rather than help him, and used that person's gofundme that they set up for defence, which could be seen as preying on his fans, rather than use his own money. Again, this shows me no class.

If he had just stepped back, taken the short-term blow of a couple less cons, and either muzzled or distanced himself completely from Rekieta and that money, and dealt with the issue quietly, stating something if he won, then yes, I would agree with you. However, with his current actions and inactions... I would have to disagree.
TrailOfDead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:31 am Reply with quote
could some of you guys' personal feelings of isolation perhaps be coloring your read on these relationships between people you don't know?

you're coming up with vast, decades-spanning conspiracy theories based on nebulous motives and treating them as more likely than a c-list celebrity being a creep and losing work because of it
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:26 am Reply with quote
johnnysasaki wrote:
Quote:

boy,I can relate to that sentiment.There's only a fistful of people that I actually care about.The rest can burn in hell for all I care.
I'm glad this lawsuit is not ending quickly and peacefully,I get to enjoy the bloodbath longer this way.

Thank you for proving my point.

Please seek counseling for your feelings of emotional betrayal from those you care about if it has brought you to the point where you openly revel in the potential pain and sufferings of others who have no bearing on you personally. None of your personal relationships or sense of self worth are going to improve by swinging your angry feelings of inadequacy around like a friggin' mace.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 11 of 13