• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Aniplex USA Licenses 'Do You Love Your Mom and Her Two-Hit Multi-Target Attacks?' Anime for Ju

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:42 am Reply with quote
reanimator wrote:
As a full time working adult without family to support, I can afford Aniplex discs without much complaint. However most of their shows don't have lingering impression for me to buy their discs outright. Only Aniplex titles I have are Garden of Sinners, Madoka Magica, and Oreimo.

I think it's the fans who tend to buy things on IMPULSE and bent on AMASSING media collection, aka Media Hoarding, are the ones who complains a lot rather than ones who really considers long term consequence of owning it.

That's pretty much my take on it too. I only buy physical media for shows I like a lot and plan to watch repeatedly. The only Aniplex USA title I own is Madoka Magica. If you count Japanese Aniplex releases then I also have Kamichu! and Read or Die (ova). That's not bad over a roughly 15-year period. If I like the show a lot then I have no problem paying Aniplex's prices. They're far from great, but they're a lot better than what I was used to paying--the majority of my collection is LDs with 90's rental pricing.

If you're not going to be rewatching the show again it's silly to buy it at all, no matter if it's a $5 bargain DVD or if it's a $200 collector's box.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:08 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Endlessly complaining at Aniplex doesn't help the fact that demand for physical media slowly shrinking and even non-Japanese publishers are starting to get on aboard with limited/collector's edition market with higher price discs loaded with extras.
As someone who is slowly moving away from physical media collecting myself, the problem with Aniplex prices is the limited lifespan of anime licenses which typically only last for five years. Once the license expires, unless another company rescue licenses it or the company chooses to renew it, there's no way to watch it officially again which can be upsetting if you're a fan of a show you really like but can't afford when other companies don't charge this much. Case in point is Baccano which is highly regarded as a classic among older anime fans but there's no way to stream it officially or buy a home video release unless you track down used copies even though it's been several years since Funimation lost the rights and they already put out new releases of FMA Brotherhood.

It also comes across as Aniplex trying to artificially create collector's edition value not because the show itself is rare or valuable but because they made it so only economically higher end anime fans can afford it. It also doesn't help that Aniplex is very fickle about which dubs they make available streaming so if you're a dub fan or you can't read subtitled anime for whatever reason and it's not on Netflix or Crunchyroll then you're out of luck. And I would disagree with the argument that Aniplex shows aren't worth owning because you only watch it once, therefore it justifies their high end pricing. If anything the fact so many of their shows aren't worth rewatching should be all the more reason their pricing doesn't make sense if nobody is ever going to rewatch them again.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2